How Common Are Flat Tires On A Trike?

JTJersey

800+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 2, 2021
Millville NJ USA
I've had flats on every two wheeler I've ever owned, always the back tire. The common explanation is that the front tire sets up the pointy thing as the rear gets jabbed by it. Don't see that happening with a trike, but was wondering if anybody has had or knows anybody who has had a flat on a trike and how it may have occurred. Is it worth taking up space in the trunk with a tire repair kit and mini air compressor?

I've had flats on every two wheeler I've ever owned, always the back tire. The common explanation is that the front tire sets up the pointy thing as the rear gets jabbed by it. Don't see that happening with a trike, but was wondering if anybody has had or knows anybody who has had a flat on a trike and how it may have occurred. Is it worth taking up space in the trunk with a tire repair kit and mini air compressor?

I had 5 street trikes since 2008..[Two with a single rear wheel ]...And never had a flat....That said on all of them i always carried a mini compressor and tire plug kit...

I have had two flats on our trike. First one was a leaking valve stem on the front tire that was old and my mechanic didn't replace it when he installed my new front tire like he was ask to. A new valve stem took care of that. Second was a right rear caused by rolling over an edge of a roadkill rabbit I couldn't avoid because of traffic. It never went flat till after returning home and was flat the next morning sitting in the garage. It had a piece of bone in it. Replaced both rear tires at the time. They were past due by the date code on them anyways.

Second was a right rear caused by rolling over an edge of a roadkill rabbit I couldn't avoid because of traffic. It never went flat till after returning home and was flat the next morning sitting in the garage. It had a piece of bone in it.

Must have been one hell of a rabbit.

5eebdbc3005315960c0024223b535d77.jpg

Must have been one hell of a rabbit.

5eebdbc3005315960c0024223b535d77.jpg

One little leg bone straight through the groove in the tread! Tires were getting old and I guess made it easier to puncture. I didn't believe it either. Our old Fire Chief always told us guys that drove to never hit any roadkill. He didn't want to have to replace a tire. We thought he was talking crazy but I guess not!

The tire dealer that put my new tires on the rims said they see that all the time.

(BTW- The rabbit in your pic WAS a hell of a rabbit! Funny movie!)

Last edited:
I have seen a lot of flat tires in my time

2 come to mind, I saw a pencil go thru a tire, found it inside the tire

The best one was a Craftsman 3/8 ratchet, found it inside a tire

I've never needed one, but I always carry a gun. I've only had 2 flats on a bike in 54 years of riding, I didn't have a patch kit or compressor either time. I carry both now on my trike:).

I never had a flat yet (watch now that I said that I will) I carry a compressor and a patch kit, but, it is good know it is there if I needed it.

In all the 45 years of riding motorcycles and driving I can only recall having a flat where-as I was stuck on the side of the road twice.

Once was in a vehicle where-as I hit something in the road and blew out the tire.

The second time was last year on my 2 wheeler where-as a newer tube (about a month old) broke open at the valve stem.

Neither time would have a tire repair kit helped.

I believe my roadside assistance insurance on my vehicle cost about $25 a year and $15 for my bikes.

Both times where-as I had the tire trouble my insurance took care of me.

I will say last year on the bike it took 4 hours to get to me and get the bike towed to a repair shop but I was in the middle of South Dakota so that’s a consideration.

Just keep your tires in serviceable condition and have good insurance.

I bought a mini compressor from Harbor Freight. It is in a case for storage and had good reviews. And it cost around $30 . There was 2 different ones there buy the better one.

Just keep your tires in serviceable condition and have good insurance.

Good advise. However, there are times when insurance isn't worth a dime.

One example. I was on the BRP miles from any exit and no cell service. I would have had to get someone to take my info,

go to the next exit and call it in. Who knows how long it would take for a wrecker to arrive and I'm sure the mileage would have far exceeded what ins. would pay.

I had a pump and plug kit that cost me about $30 total and had been in my saddle bag for years. A fellow rider slowly rolled the bike while I lay on the ground and located the nail. Pulled the nail, inserted plug, pumped up tire and on my way in about 30 minutes.

I'd much rather do that than wait hours on help.

That Slime pump is a good choice.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back