Heel Toe shifter Not for Me!!

I'd never used an H/T shifter until I got my trike four months ago. It took a little getting used to and I did add the extension to gain a little more room for my size 12's. 11,000 miles later, I'm pretty much a fan!:10:
Talk to me about the extension as I also wear a size 12. Always interested in something to make life easier. Thanks.

I'm not all that sold on a heel shifter so I only use the toe. I have Kury floorboards with heel toe shifter. I raised the toe portion up an inch and out an inch so now I can get my boot under the toe shifter and gives me more forward room on the floor board. The heel shifter is still there but I don't use it. Cost about $5.00.

I also love the Heel/Toe set-up on my VTX 1800, have stock shifter on my GW Trike, was planning to install H/T but have read it can cause transmission issues on the GW so have stayed away from switching over. Have a Champion Trike kit with rain guards, think either shifter would fit on it.

Stu Oatman, tech advisor for Wing World mag has recommend you don't use a heal/toe shifter due to evidence he has seen to damage to shifter forks because of too much heal pressure.

Stu Oatman, tech advisor for Wing World mag has recommend you don't use a heal/toe shifter due to evidence he has seen to damage to shifter forks because of too much heal pressure.
Makes sense to me. I think some may be inclined to stomp down with a heel. With the toe, it's a more light touch going both ways. I know when I had my heel/toe shifter, I thought I was going too hard in trying to find the heel shift.

I had the Kuryakyn one on my trike when i purchased it. Tried it for a while and noticed a couple of things. First off I would miss shift ups especially from 1st to 2nd, would end up in neutral. The other thing i noticed is that the heel part was to low for my pegs ( Mine was the add on without the floor boards). So I would have to awkwardly move my heel downward to shift. I have just removed it and restored it to its original setup. I have no more trouble with shifts, it feels a lot more natural to me, and no more shifting to neutral. I doubt I will return the heel toe shifter to my ride.

Steve

I just can not get use to the heel Toe shifter on my Gold wing Trike,I am thinking on going to the Orginal shifter. What do you riders think?

Long Wolf - Heel/Toe shifters are one of the bike items that folks either love or hate. Personally, I'm in the the later category as they make me crazy (more than usual) :laugh:. Barbara's 1200 came with heel/toe and the 1st thing she said was, I like the bike, but how do we get rid of that shifter "thingy". I was surprised as this was the first thing we've agreed upon in years. :D

Do what's comfortable for you - you're not the only one who doesn't care for them.

Believe me,,,,. If there was some way around removing the Heel/Toe shifter once you have Roadsmith's Comfort Controls installed and have a decent lever to toe shift with, I'd do it in a heart beat!! :gah:

Never liked the Heel/Toe in the past and I dislike it more so now,,,. :(

I had problems with Kury heel and toe shifter on the used R.S. Goldwing trike I bought. I have a small foot and also lowers on this trike seems I was always looking for heel shifter and for me way to much play in the shifter. Put a set of miny floor boards on with stock shifter. Works great for me.

I'm not all that sold on a heel shifter so I only use the toe. I have Kury floorboards with heel toe shifter. I raised the toe portion up an inch and out an inch so now I can get my boot under the toe shifter and gives me more forward room on the floor board. The heel shifter is still there but I don't use it. Cost about $5.00.

As I hate foot pegs, I have the Kury floor boards and love them. I also have the Kury heel/toe shifter and am somewhat disenchanted with it. It works well enough but I believe I would prefer just toe shifting. But if I remove the heel/toe shifting mechanism I wont have enough space to get my toe under the shifting lever. How did you accomplish that?

As I hate foot pegs, I have the Kury floor boards and love them. I also have the Kury heel/toe shifter and am somewhat disenchanted with it. It works well enough but I believe I would prefer just toe shifting. But if I remove the heel/toe shifting mechanism I wont have enough space to get my toe under the shifting lever. How did you accomplish that?

I have the same issue and would love to hear of a viable solution. ThumbUp

Ajust the shift linkage?? It moves the shifter up and down. I done that with two different bikes.

That might work for bikes/trikes that don't have Roadsmith's Comfort Controls. The Comfort Controls are not adjustable,,, unfortunately. :(

Rich - Have you tried removing the pegs or floorboards and putting your feet on the running boards with the Comfort Controls?

Also did you have to modify the running boards when you installed the Comfort Controls?

Rich - Have you tried removing the pegs or floorboards and putting your feet on the running boards with the Comfort Controls?

Also did you have to modify the running boards when you installed the Comfort Controls?

Removing the floor boards would be the only way to be able to shift without the heel/toe. In order to have my feet even, I'd also have to remove the right side as well which would mean lifting my right foot off the running board to get it on the brake pedal. I haven't tried this yet but it's on my "To-Do" list for at least a trial.

The running boards did not have to be altered to accept the Comfort Controls. The floor boards are just a bit lower and forward in the foot well of the running board. And in all honesty, even with the limitations regarding accessories and/or modifications that the Comfort Controls prevent, I'll admit that if it weren't for the Comfort Controls, I'd never be comfortable on a GoldWing with that 'tucked under' foot position. Comfort Controls will never be as comfortable as a Harley's foot-forward stance, but they do make enough of a difference to make the Wing's foot position, 'acceptable'.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back