Harley Drink Holder

My wife finally made me purchase one of those handlebar cup holders during a recent trip. I gave the MOCO something around $125 for the thing, which I could have gotten off e-bay for around $40. Then....she decided she did not like the arrangement because I had to hand her the drink when she wanted it. (I think that even after 44-years of wedded bliss she just still don't like to drink after me). My next challenge was to get a cup-holder back there where she could reach it and I created this invention before this thread was started. My total investment is around $4.00 and some sweat equity to assemble it. Works like a champ and if it ever falls off....I'll just build another one for $4.00. The tour pack lid gasket holds it firmly in place and no hardware had to be mounted, or anything altered in any way. It installs or removes in less than 10-seconds. She can reach it with ease.

I call it my "TP Bottle Buddy". My friends simply call it a coat hanger.

U guessed it Boom, but there is no reason why one could not mount one of the other fold-up units on the aluminum plate. My "coat hanger" bolts to an aluminum bracket (home made) with one end bent (formed) into the shape of the bottom tour pack lip. I have some rubber backing on the plate so it can't scratch anything. All you do is hang the thing on the lower box lip and shut the top lid. The gasket is large enough that it will compress around the aluminum plate and hold it firmly in place. When your passenger is not with you and you want to look cool....take it off and toss it in the TP. You could think of many style cup-holders you could bolt to the plate. This is just a "prototype", but it works and you don't have to touch the first fastener or component on the trike/bike to mount it.

I installed the Kruizer Kaddie from HD on mine. Modified the holder so it wouldn't flap after loosing a couple of H2O bottles. Got an elevator bolt and sleeve for pressure to attach to the handle bar mount. Wife gave me the locking glove box covers for the lower faring set from Hog Trough which came with holder ,32 oz. cold liquid bottle and a 32 oz. hot cup. Both work great for us.

I installed the Kruizer Kaddie from HD on mine. Modified the holder so it wouldn't flap after loosing a couple of H2O bottles. Got an elevator bolt and sleeve for pressure to attach to the handle bar mount. Wife gave me the locking glove box covers for the lower faring set from Hog Trough which came with holder ,32 oz. cold liquid bottle and a 32 oz. hot cup. Both work great for us.

I have the same but the 32 oz. is a bit large for me to handle. That much liquid has me stopping too often for pee breaks! lol :D

Me too, but my passenger has much stronger kidneys than I do and she likes to have something to drink within reach at all times. You know how it is....if mama ain't happy....ain't nobody happy!

can covers

I put on one of the high-dollar chrome drink holders on the hadnlebars of my '08 HD. Bottles with caps are OK, but open soft drink cans more than 1/2 full are splashed by the engine vibration while idling. I ultimately took it off and put it on another of my trikes (VW). Still get splashing with bumps, but not at stand=still idling.
hello I do not like to have glass on our ride. I use a can cover to keep the splashing down. They are put out to keep bugs out of your cans. They are Wall-Mart specials.
Keep dry
BCarr

The best container I've ever found was an insulated one that has a push button top that flips open leaving a rubberish tube bent at a 30* angle so you can drink while looking straight ahead not tipping your head back taking your eyes off the road.
The first one I bought from Target and was only 12 oz. I went back and bought 3 more just in case I lost or damaged one. I really love it. Always wished it had more capacity.

Then a couple years ago I found an 16 oz one on Amazon and bought a couple of them.
They are made by Thermos and are called Funtainers.

It's not how much you drink, it's what you drink and how you allow your body to absorb it.
I use a kuzer kaddy for the passenger. I just made a arm for it to attach on the bag rail.
P3090008Small.jpg

Okie dokie, while I am trying to figure out exactly how I am gonna fix the wifes drink holder, I just ordered a black 16 oz Thermos Funtainer from Amazon. I have thought about the bike drink holder under the lid of the TP but not sure how convenient it is for her to reach back there to get her drink while we are tooling down the interstate. I ordered the Kuri drink holder but had to send it back because it won't fit because of the side speakers on the TP.

Okie dokie, while I am trying to figure out exactly how I am gonna fix the wifes drink holder, I just ordered a black 16 oz Thermos Funtainer from Amazon. I have thought about the bike drink holder under the lid of the TP but not sure how convenient it is for her to reach back there to get her drink while we are tooling down the interstate. I ordered the Kuri drink holder but had to send it back because it won't fit because of the side speakers on the TP.

The one we where talking about uses the speaker mounting bolts to hold it on ... you sure you ordered the right year?

Befeore I ordered it, I called J&P and it is the one they told me to get. Also I ordered the arm rests and when I got em, I soon discovered it would fit the Ultra Classic bike, but the brackets wouldn't fit between the TP and body of the trike. (had to send it back too) So I ordered the other Kuri armrests which fit fine. Had to remove the speakers to install new brackets inside the TP and between the TP and speakers, I am not excited about the prospect of taking it all apart again to put on the cup holder. Maybe I will revisit the issue in a couple weeks so the idea is fresh.

I wanted a water bottle holder for myself, and did not like the look, cost or function of the handlebar clamp on gimbal type holders. So I got myself a cheap $4.95 plastic bicycle water bottle cage and bolted it to the right side cover, and yes I had to drill two holes. But I figured if it did not work out I could always put two black button heads in the holes and it would barely be noticeable.

With this I can easily reach back and grab the bottle while stopped at a light or even while riding on the open road. I have sat on the back seat, and this set up will work very well for a passenger as well. The bottle and cage is not in the way of the passengers leg/foot and they/I can easily reach down and grab it while seated, and I have a bad back.

Nearly any bicycle water bottle cage would work, and because they are generally spring loaded and squeeze the bottle to hold it, bottles do not bounce out even on rough or bumpy roads.

The bottle pictured is a CONTIGO Autospout Sheffield Stainless Steel double walled 20 OZ bottle. It will hold cold liquids COLD for up to 18 hours and held ice all day long while on a ride through the desert in 106 heat. And being SS and double walled it does not ever sweat or leave a ring, so I find myself using it around the house as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 74
Ah-HA! I like it. Thanks for your post.;)

I know this method is not going to be every ones cup of tea, and some people are squeamish about drilling holes in their $30,000+ pride and joy. But if you don't mind drilling a couple of holes, this placement does work for both a rider AND a passenger. And pictures are worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• Me on Cat.jpg
    Me on Cat.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 75

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back