Group Riding-Trike

The group that I ride with are mostly trikes, but when we ride with two wheelers we have never been told a certain position. I personally like to ride in the rear so I have a good sight of whats happening on the ride.
I have riddin with some fellows that I have to constantly had to watch in the mirror because they come up on one side at a stop sign and then the next time come up on the other side. Keeps you guessing to stay out of an accident.
Have talked to these people to no avail. Anyway most of the time we fall in where we like to ride.

We always ride staggerd.

When coming into a turn, single, with enough room after the rider in front and back of you for any manuevering necessary.

After the turn stagger again.

Most of the time I prefer to ride in back..whether I'm on 2 or 3 wheels. Most groups tend to ride faster in the straights and slow down in the curves. Riding in back lets me get some distance between myself and them, so when a curve comes up and they slow down, I can still accelerate thru the curve. :)

But again, I've never been told where to ride.

I just got back a couple of weeks ago from the Hot Bike Tour...about 300 bikes riding from Joplin, MO to Wisconsin Dells. There were 30 or so Trikes in the group and they were scattered throughout the group...never heard anyone complain & never had any visibility issue when they were in front or behind me. (on this ride I was on 2 wheels)

You can see the ride report, along with lots of pics and video's at this thread-

http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/22489-Real-Time-Ride-Report-of-DK-Custom-Hot-Bike-Tour

Kevin

:Agree: I ride where I want - as if I was on a 2 wheeler. Trike is only 10" wider then Ultra and that's below the tank so this crap about not being able to see past them is false. We even have a couple riders that ride with a sidecar.
The reason I ride close to the front and never the back is because when we get to our destination, there's no place to park, the food is usually gone or you have to push through 20' of bodies to get to the bar to get a drink (for me it's a coke). Never rode in the back - never will. My chapter doesn't tell anyone where they can ride.....unless they are new to group riding then they are asked to ride in the back. My chapter also rides staggered formation - - side by side is completely reckless and foolish no matter how good you think you are.

I am not a loaner, I like people don't mind riding with them - in large groups, small groups or solo.
I am more then confident of my riding abilities that I don't need to be afraid to ride among other riders.
Every one of our chapter rides has a leader, sweeper and as many road captains as needed. We all have CB's so there is NEVER a need to constantly keep visually checking on the group.
On Charity rides I usually ride up front - organizers like to have trikers ride the subjects of the charity - another benefit of riding a trike. Met a lot of great kids on these rides.
If I was TOLD to ride in the rear, I would leave and do my own ride and meet them at the destination. Thankfully that's never happened.
The only drawback in riding a trike in a group is that you have better braking abilities and could possible get rear ended by a 2 wheeler in an emergency.

Ride safe and enjoy.

We quit riding with our local HOG group a couple of years ago for several reasons, but one of them was they always wanted Trikes to bring up the rear. No thanks. I don't have the patience to sit behind someone that is not comfortable unless they are going 7 miles under the speed limit and create huge gaps in a simple staggered formation.

Our dealership sponsors a ride every year which draws about 2,000 riders for a 125 mile tribute to our Military and Wounded Warriors, whom we generously and fiercely support. They even close the freeway for a portion of it to keep everyone together in a 3 to 4 mile long line of bikes. We always got to the starting point early with our friends to get a sweet spot in the front half of the long procession. It was a lotta fun to see that many Bikes and Trikes. all makes welcome of course, running down the freeway in staggered formation. There were only a couple of crashes every year from someone doing something dumb. None of them Trikes I might add.

Last year, 6 other couples all met at our home to ride to the Dealership, just down the road a half mile, to get in line an hour early like always. I had the only Trike, as usual. I led our little group over there, and when we got to the parking area, People that were out directing parking stepped in front of me and waved me over to another area, then had the 2 wheelers go to the main area. I had to go get in a different line with what totaled to be about 40 Trikes. They said that some 2 wheel riders complained that they did not know how to ride behind a Trike in staggered formation, so now all Trikes have to bring up the rear. I pitched a fit to say the least. We could not ride with our friends and had to wait until everyone else left after the start and bring up the rear. Behind 1,960 bikes. It took an hour before we even started our engines. We finally dropped out before arriving at the destination ceremonies as it was taking us way longer than we had planned. Never did hook back up that day with our Friends. I had a meeting with the organizer later and expressed my displeasure and told him if they were ever going to do that again, no support from me. So... this year we did not participate.

No more large group rides for me. No one is going to tell me where to ride, or I will not be a part of that ride. I do not want to bring up the rear to deal with dumb situations, which is what I witnessed riding with HOG, unless it is my express job to be the sweep, which I am not. More than 6 or 7 riders is too many for us. 3 or 4 is just right. And the Friends I ride with do not care that I am on a Trike. They are too busy trying to keep up with me.

Because I wanted to make sure you could experience my turbulence with that Big Blue Tubby Butt in your face the whole trip!!! Ha ha!!
And all the LED lights on the rear of your trailer were keeping me awake.

We quit riding with our local HOG group a couple of years ago for several reasons, but one of them was they always wanted Trikes to bring up the rear. No thanks. I don't have the patience to sit behind someone that is not comfortable unless they are going 7 miles under the speed limit and create huge gaps in a simple staggered formation.

Part of the problem comes from the 2-wheel riders themselves. For whatever reason they don't want to be seen with Grandpa on a trike - most of them don't consider a Tri-Glide a Harley. Then there are some that are actually "afraid" of a trike b/c they have absolutely no idea how to ride one.

I was at a Harley sponsored Open House the other day and wanted to ride the new Free Wheeler - even though I have a trike they wouldn't let me ride it until I passed their so-called safety course (2-wheelers didn't have to pass anything - they just got on and rode). Then I was told that I'd have to ride at the back since it's a "trike". :mad:I said to hell with it and left. I've ridden just about every bike Harley has ever produced and I like my Tri-Glide the best of 'em all! Give me some mountain roads and most two-wheelers will have a hell of a time keeping up with me - if that's what I want to do!
TRIKES FOREVER!:clapping:

Part of the problem comes from the 2-wheel riders themselves. For whatever reason they don't want to be seen with Grandpa on a trike - most of them don't consider a Tri-Glide a Harley. Then there are some that are actually "afraid" of a trike b/c they have absolutely no idea how to ride one.

I was at a Harley sponsored Open House the other day and wanted to ride the new Free Wheeler - even though I have a trike they wouldn't let me ride it until I passed their so-called safety course (2-wheelers didn't have to pass anything - they just got on and rode). Then I was told that I'd have to ride at the back since it's a "trike". :mad:I said to hell with it and left. I've ridden just about every bike Harley has ever produced and I like my Tri-Glide the best of 'em all! Give me some mountain roads and most two-wheelers will have a hell of a time keeping up with me - if that's what I want to do!

I agree with everything you said - except - making new riders become somewhat familiar with a trike before testing one. Our dealer makes them watch a 5 minute video. Does it help - absolutely not. I volunteer every year to help my dealer with the demo truck. Every single new rider that tries the TG put's their feet down - EVERY ONE OF THEM. Even when I continuously tell them not to. They say OK OK and then put their feet down. Some don't even make it out of the parking lot. It's maddening.
2 wheelers don't need to pass a test to ride a 2 wheeler because they've been riding on 2 wheels forever(?). You have to admit a trike is not that easy to ride....if you've never been on one before.

I agree with you 100% about 2 wheelers keeping up with a trike. I rode with 6 rice rockets on the Cherohala Skyway this summer for 7 miles. Very invigorating. They were sure surprised.

In my opinion, which we all know is not worth 2 cents, if a two wheel rider does not have the common sense ability to share the road with a Trike in the vicinity, how do they handle cars, trucks, 18 wheelers, farm machinery, deer, crosswinds, or anything else we all encounter on a daily basis. If you are that brainless on your 2 wheeler, park it before you injure yourself or someone else,, or something worse.

My very few and select ridin' Buds have no problem in a group formation with me on a Trike. They are good riders with great experience and skill abilities that know what they are doing... or I would not be sharing the road with them. I too believe there is a bias towards Trikes, as demonstrated quite often in different situations, and we will probably always have to deal with that.

Thank You ! Pretty much covered how I feel also. Ebert:pepper::clapping:

So after reading these posts and opinions I thought I would do a little research on what "experts" consider safe trike riding in a group. this will take you to the AMA 17 tips for group riding
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riding/Street/Resources/GroupRiding.aspx

here are #s 12 and 13
12. On the road, motorcyclists should have at least a 2-second cushion in front and behind them. If you want to keep the group tight, consider a staggered formation. Leave enough room per lane so each rider can maneuver side-to-side if need be. Avoid side-by-side formations as they shrink your space cushion.
13. Trikes and sidecars should stay in the center of the lane, and should be given the same amount of cushion as if they were a car.

MSF website http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/3w_tips.pdf

the section on group riding p46 says the following:

Group Riding & Passengers
As we said earlier, motorcycling is a sociable sport, so chances are very good you’ll soon be riding with friends
on their two and three wheel motorcycles, and have others who want to be passengers.
As with any sport, it’s nice if the participants all have a safety minded attitude and general idea of what to do.
RIDING IN A GROUP
It is useful if, before taking off on a group ride, you
get two or three hand signals organized among the
participants: “let’s stop; need gas; I’m hungry.”
A few rules for the group:
• Riding in a group of more than five motorcycles,
whether two or three wheel, can become
confusing both for the group and other traffic
around you. If there are too many people, break
it up into smaller groups.
• Don't ride in a staggered formation like two
wheel motorcycles use.
• Always keep at least a two-second following
distance from the motorcycle directly in front
of you.
• Pass other vehicles individually, when safe –
not in pairs or groups.
p46

The following is from a group riding site but I don't know its name

http://www.msgroup.org/groupridingguide.aspx

So there is a lot of information out there. Ride safe and be informed.

So your Trike riders are treated like bastard step children ? :mad:

To answer your remark, I am not treated any different than a two wheeler. You didn't read my answer too well. I have been riding with this Organized group of ex military buddies for many years. We ride with pride and great respect for one another. I am not bothered one bit if I am ASK to ride in a certain spot.

"13. Trikes and sidecars should stay in the center of the lane"
What expert genius came up w/this :confused:
I don't want my front tire running in the center where all the trash and oil ends up:AGGHH:

... Every single new rider that tries the TG put's their feet down - EVERY ONE OF THEM. Even when I continuously tell them not to. They say OK OK and then put their feet down. Some don't even make it out of the parking lot. It's maddening.

Gary, I don't know if this will help with teaching adults(know it all), but when I was teaching my son & his friends how to ride 3 wheels & later 4 wheels and they kept putting feet down, I would have them stand up on the pegs or floor boards. It seemed to help more than telling them that they were going to break an ankle or leg if they put a foot down at the wrong time.

I just had an idea, for the adults, make a seat pad with nails sticking up so they can't sit down & put a foot down!!!:gah::clapping::AGGHH::D

My current Wing/Roadsmith has the wingboards which prevents putting my feet to the pavement. But when I first got my Valkyrie MotorTrike, just out of habit, I'd put my feet down. That was cured very fast the first time those rear wheels caught my heel!!! :AGGHH:;)

I've probably ridden in 12 or more charity group rides this year. First year I've ever ridden in any. I've decided I'm going to ride in the back from now on. I'm always able to keep up with the group and ride staggered like they want me to but there occasionally are a few jerks who insist on riding up my tailpipe until they get a chance to pass. Maybe they don't like to ride behind trikes or just want to show me how macho they are. Whatever the reason, it pretty much spoils the ride for me. I find that the people towards the rear are usually less aggressive and make for a more enjoyable ride. The once or twice I've been asked to ride in the rear they've been very polite about it so it's not a problem.

HAVE YOU SEEN THE SIGNS ON PICKUP WINDOWS THAT SAY " NO FEAR"?
I WOULD LIKE TO FIND ONE THAT SAYS "SCARED SHITLESS"!:gah:

I got way to many miles under my belt to prove anything by being in the front of a pack and most riders in a group will pass a trike just out of pure cussedness because they don't consider your trike a REAL motorcycle, nor you a REAL BIKER!

I prefer the back of a pack so the jerk doesn't kill me trying to get around me because of his "Oh yeahass, I bad, See how Bad I is? EGO"!smiles-bigone.gif

I've picked up what's left of them.:kpzxvq:smiles-fuck%20you.gif

Here is the other consideration after many years riding with outlaw groups,
Unless a band has absolute rules about where each scooter rides there is always someone who thinks he has to be at the front of the pack and will perform great feats of acceleration because he has a really hot bike and wants everyone to know it. he usually starts at the back of the pack in order to get his jolly's
He is the reason I carry a full first aid kit with a $5.00 per band aid cost (just like the hospital?:laugh:)

No seriously, If something unexpected is going to happen on a ride it is usually going to happen at the front of a pack for one reason or another, If I am hanging back at the end of a pack with room to stop without emergency thrown into the equation or a really pissed of motorist trying to pass everyone at once I can look at the accident, shake my head and say isn't it a shame while dialing 911.

I have lost more than one friend and seen a few bike pile ups and it usually happens toward the middle or front of the pack.smiles-hitwithrock.gif

23_4135121492@web163204_mail_gq1_yahoo.gif THERE ARE OLD BIKERS AND THERE ARE BOLD BIKERS, BUT THERE ARE NO OLD,BOLD BIKERS!smiles-biker for life.jpg

PS. IF A GROUP LEADER REQUESTS MY TRIKE BE AT THE REAR OF THE PACK I WILL ASSUME HE IS AN EXPERIENCED ROAD CAPTAIN AND THANK HIM FOR GOOD PLANNING.

gunsmoke-Festus%20and%20Doc-resized.jpgDoc: IN THE OUTLAW OUTFITS I RODE WITH A MAN WAS CHOSEN AS ROAD CAPITAIN BECAUSE HIS BROTHERS TRUSTED HIM TO KEEP THEM ALL ALIVE, AND WERE WILLING TO ACCEPT HIS JUDGMENT, NOT BECAUSE HE WON A POPULARULARITY CONTEST AND HIS RESPONSIBILITY WAS NO JOKE.

Festus: DOC YOU OLD SCUDDER!, I NEVER KNOWED YOU TO BE A OUTLAW AFFORE!

doc: THAT JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU THERE'S HELL OF A LOT YOU DON'T KNOW!

redneck_cow-a-saki.jpg Wal I'll be durned ah jest larnt sumpin, just cause he a outlaw don't makes him stupid!

teton3.jpg RIDE SAFE FOLKS AND DON'T ASSUME EVERYONE IS TRYING TO OPPRESS YOU,HE MAY BE TRYING TO SAVE SOME LIVES?

HAVE YOU SEEN THE SIGNS ON PICKUP WINDOWS THAT SAY " NO FEAR"?
I WOULD LIKE TO FIND ONE THAT SAYS "SCARED SHITLESS"!:gah:

I got way to many miles under my belt to prove anything by being in the front of a pack and most riders in a group will pass a trike just out of pure cussedness because they don't consider your trike a REAL motorcycle, nor you a REAL BIKER!

I prefer the back of a pack so the jerk doesn't kill me trying to get around me because of his "Oh yeahass, I bad, See how Bad I is? EGO"!View attachment 22381

I've picked up what's left of them.:kpzxvq:View attachment 22379

Here is the other consideration after many years riding with outlaw groups,
Unless a band has absolute rules about where each scooter rides there is always someone who thinks he has to be at the front of the pack and will perform great feats of acceleration because he has a really hot bike and wants everyone to know it. he usually starts at the back of the pack in order to get his jolly's
He is the reason I carry a full first aid kit with a $5.00 per band aid cost (just like the hospital?:laugh:)

No seriously, If something unexpected is going to happen on a ride it is usually going to happen at the front of a pack for one reason or another, If I am hanging back at the end of a pack with room to stop without emergency thrown into the equation or a really pissed of motorist trying to pass everyone at once I can look at the accident, shake my head and say isn't it a shame while dialing 911.

I have lost more than one friend and seen a few bike pile ups and it usually happens toward the middle or front of the pack.View attachment 22380

View attachment 22377 THERE ARE OLD BIKERS AND THERE ARE BOLD BIKERS, BUT THERE ARE NO OLD,BOLD BIKERS!View attachment 22378

PS. IF A GROUP LEADER REQUESTS MY TRIKE BE AT THE REAR OF THE PACK I WILL ASSUME HE IS AN EXPERIENCED ROAD CAPTAIN AND THANK HIM FOR GOOD PLANNING.

What you have said is what I was trying to say------thank you.:gah:

To answer your remark, I am not treated any different than a two wheeler. You didn't read my answer too well. I have been riding with this Organized group of ex military buddies for many years. We ride with pride and great respect for one another. I am not bothered one bit if I am ASK to ride in a certain spot.
I read your answer very clearly and didn't mean to offend you or your group . But there is not mutual respect from your group if they take the attitude that you and your Trike are hazardous to them . I also don't mind being in the back , but it depends on who is ahead of me also. In a nut shell visibility and safety are not a concern because your on a Trike , in my opinion. I feel anyone who has issues with this needs to be focused on what is in front of them ! Ebert:)

I ride my TG as I have ridden my 2 wheelers for the last 50 years - no more no less. I ride in the left track of the lane as if I'm still on 2 wheels. My trike is only 12" wider then an Ultra. I have never had anyone tell me I have to ride in the back. If someone did, I would never ride with that group again.
I know my abilities and if I didn't think I could handle the situation, I wouldn't be in that position. Thankfully my chapter has no problems riding with trikes in the mix.

The statement that a road captain is picked because of his safety record is pure bull$** . They are picked because of their popularity - has nothing to do with how safe they are.......at least in every election I've seen. I know a rider that is very safe - maybe too safe. He is never mentioned as a candidate for road captain because he's kind of a recluse and not popular.

Our chapter has monthly new rider rides and all questions and tips are given then, which is why we don't have problems riding in groups. We NEVER ride side by side. We always have road captains spread throughout the group in case we get stopped at traffic lights, that way they can take over the lead of the new segment so riders don't have to run the red light to keep up.

If someone has a problem riding with a trike, they should give up riding or at least wait until there is no traffic before getting out on the road.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back