Greasing a Motortrike Coupe SA rear universal joint

Old Aviator

1+ Posts
Mar 24, 2024
Ocala, Florida USA
Can someone explain how to easily grease the Zerk fitting on the rear universal joint a Motortrike Coupe SA drive shaft? Would a flexible Zerk fitting extension work just to grease it and then remove it and replace the original Zerk fitting? Or do I have to remove the rear universal joint and then the drive shaft from the differential? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Can someone explain how to easily grease the Zerk fitting on the rear universal joint a Motortrike Coupe SA drive shaft? Would a flexible Zerk fitting extension work just to grease it and then remove it and replace the original Zerk fitting? Or do I have to remove the rear universal joint and then the drive shaft from the differential? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Anthony’ Welcome to Trike Talk..👍👍..

On our 2013 Honda F6B with a Motor Trike kit:

Jack the rear of the trike, pull off the right side panel below the seat and you should be able to access the zerk fittings (front and rear universal joint zerks). Just rotate the shaft (turn the rear wheels) until the zerks are accessible. A decent light will be of great assistance and it's not overly difficult to access them. I've done it once so far but our trike guy suggests greasing every oil change. It only needs a bit (a squeeze or two). Hopefully this helps.

This is an original drive shaft which has no Zerk fitting on the front yoke going into the transmission. There is a zerk on the rear u-joint, but there is no way to fit a normal grease gun fitting onto that zerk because of the zerk’s position on the u joint.

I read somewhere that the u joint had to be unbolted from the differential, the moved upward then remove the driveshaft in order to grease the rear zerk fitting. BYW, it can not be accessed by removing the side panel. From underneath only. Or as I said, removed.

35-40 years ago I had a riding mower that required a special fitting to get to one zerk fitting. Since I didn't have a name for it I just called it the 'needle nose' fitting that I pushed directly into the spring loaded ball on top of most zerk fittings. Worked like a charm, hope this helps your problem.

I just grease'd up my Roadsmith TRIKE yesterday.......... I jacked up the rear end, and spun the wheel untill the grease jurks were visible (and easy'ly exposed,) and placed a grease gun into the jurks, and pumped only two pumps of grease.......... Then clean area where the grease expands. Easy Peezy! I do this the beginning of every ride'n season!

Ronnie

4/12/24

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back