General question about trikes

Don,

Welcome to TrikeTalk from Mesa, AZ.

I bought my GW trike used and it had boards on it. I had them removed and glad I did. Here's my take on them;

1st They really look great.

2nd They help keep feet and lower legs dryer in wet weather

3rd They help keep feet and legs warm in cold weather.

Now the reasons I had mine removed;

1st They tend to restrict air flow (cooling) to your feet and legs in hot weather.

2nd They tend to get beat up by road debris and over time/miles need refinishing.

3rd They eliminate the ability to put your feet on the ground to assist with reversing.

4th Some are not suitable for supporting the weight of a person standing (some are OK)

5th Some require a heal-toe shifter for riding. (I'm not a fan of heal-toe).

After mine were removed I installed mini-boards and traditional highway pegs which gives me all the foot position options I need while still retaining the OEM shift and brake pedals.

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search..... Jim
YES!

Our '97 GL1500 SE /Lehman GTL trike came to us in 2004 with stock pegs, eventually I added short floor boards, but I made mods so to not have H&T shifter. They worked but really, had it not been for a knee acting up after a fall, I'd have preferred the OEM pegs.

Once when making a U-turn, the front wheel slipped off a pavement edge that had a 6" drop. I had pegs still. Quick into reverse, a bit of pushing with my legs, I backed it up onto the roadway. Reverse alone would not have done it, I was loaded two up and a buddy on 2 wheels had crashed behind us so was in a hurry to go help.

There were times with the FBs that I wished for pegs, usually backing ... or mounting/dismounting.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back