Gas pump shutoff?

I monitor it also. Like someone said earlier, it's only 5 or 6 gallons. One or two minutes tops. I usually fill up when the low fuel lite comes on so I know I need at least 5 gallons. My hand is on the handle at all times and when I got 4 gallons, I start watching the fuel through the hole. I click the nozzel until the fuel is just under the bottom of the filler hole. Never had a problem.

I would not leave it on auto and walk away though.
I'm sure it has happened, but I've also never seen a bike go up in flames while getting gas.

I personnally think that thing you put in the filler hole is crazy. In over 50 years of riding I've never spilled any fuel and certantly never needed something to help me put gas into a bike. Now maybe it's needed in Cali with those rubber bellows, I don't know. They just seem like something to drip fuel on your hands and stink up your saddlebags - unless you take the time to wipe it off first.

I have an 05 Ultra Classic and can't look into the fill hole and see the fuel, but I have never had a problem. The next time I fill up I will use a small LED flashlight to see if I can see the fuel. I think I will have to lift the nozzle to see it, or I guess a match would work if I don't have a flashlight!

Flash point of gasoline is 495*,

Don't think that's quite right. How would a spark ignite the F/A mixture if the temp was only 490* 495 sounds more like the gasoline's distillation endpoint.

When the northern refiners make their winter blend, they add butane and butane's flash is well below zero.

Oh, I know what you were talking about: Gasoline's auto-ignition temp. But 495 still sounds a little high,.

Phu Cat

Flash point of gasoline is 495*,

Don't think that's quite right. How would a spark ignite the F/A mixture if the temp was only 490* 495 sounds more like the gasoline's distillation endpoint.

When the northern refiners make their winter blend, they add butane and butane's flash is well below zero.

Oh, I know what you were talking about: Gasoline's auto-ignition temp. But 495 still sounds a little high,.

Phu Cat

You're right, Phu Cat........Here's a chart from the below link. The chart didn't copy 'n paste all lined up as it looks in the article. If I've got this right, gasoline would have a flashpoint of -45*F (when gasoline vapors can ignite ?) and an autoignition temp of 536*F (when the liquid gas can ignite ?)

Flash point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fuel Flash point Autoignition
temperature
Ethanol (70%) 16.6 °C (61.9 °F) [2] 363 °C (685 °F) [2]
Gasoline (petrol) −43 °C (−45 °F) [3] 280 °C (536 °F) [4]
Diesel >62 °C (144 °F) 210 °C (410 °F)
Jet fuel >60 °C (140 °F) 210 °C (410 °F)
Kerosene (paraffin oil) >38–72 °C (100–162 °F) 220 °C (428 °F)
Vegetable oil (canola) 327 °C (621 °F)
Biodiesel >130 °C (266 °F)

I have an 05 Ultra Classic and can't look into the fill hole and see the fuel, but I have never had a problem. The next time I fill up I will use a small LED flashlight to see if I can see the fuel. I think I will have to lift the nozzle to see it, or I guess a match would work if I don't have a flashlight!

"or I guess a match would work if I don't have a flashlight!" ROTFLMAO! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

LOL, Gimme a match, I think my gas tanks empty!

The phone number listed in McCuff's web site "not a good number"...did the company go out of business or did I just PayPal my money for not? Got an order # sent to my e-mail addy....guess I see if one turns up in my mail box.

Re: McCuff

I've been using the McCuff for years. It makes it easy to use the pumps here in Calif. Just place it on the tank, push the filler nozzle in and when it shuts off, the tank is full. No more short bursts trying to get that last quart or so in.
Since the trike doesn't lean over when parked like a bike does, I find this is a whole lot easier on my back.

Interesting thread !

I bought a Kawasaki VN 2000 a few weeks ago and when I went to fill it up at the gas station (in CALI) I pushed the nozzle in and let it start filling. I had the bike upright between my legs because the filler is in the middle of the tank.

I NEVER do that ! I usually hold the rubber cuff back and watch it fill but this time I figured it was a big tank and t would take a bit to fill it.

Just when I was wondering how much this tank holds the thing started gushing out the top and down the sides of the tank and into my lap. I put the bike on the side stand and looked for a fire extinguisher and to my amazement - they DIDN'T have one !!

I wiped the bike down and poured water over the exhaust headers to make sure no fuel was in there.

You're right about the wax job - it was gone so I had to redo that.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back