Gas mileage

I have wondered...does it hurt anything to pop a wheelie?

I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of it ... but ... Kevin of DK does it fairly regularly ... LOL ... here's proof ... I'm sure he'll chime in soon as to the effects ... especially since he just tore his tri down before his last trip

View attachment 64392

Popping a wheelie does not have nearly the potential to "hurt" something as coming down from a wheelie. lol

Coming down hard will stress your neck bearings, potential to blow out the front suspension and more.

Land that front wheel gently.

Popping a wheelie will stress all components of the drive train...from the crankshaft, to the compensator to the clutch to the belt to the differential, and don't forget the engine mounts and the swingarm pivot.

Wow, does not sound like a good idea...but they are fun!

Pulling the front wheel up a bit when taking off from a stop, or when upshifting is not nearly as hard on the trike as sitting at a stop or slow rolling and purposely pulling the front end up as high as it will go.

Oh, and lets not forget the mufflers dragging, acting as "wheelie bars".

Here's a photo of my current slip-ons-

Scraped%20Muffler%201.jpg

That said, I have had no issues with either of my TG's from pulling wheelies. When we were making the video below I really thought I was going to "pay" for it. But that was almost 20,000 miles ago and have had zero issues.

Kevin

If you ever decide to pull even a light weight trailer count on losing about another 5 MPG. Our trailer is about 3' X 4', very light, almost forget it's back there it's so light, but it still knocks the fuel milage down.

PC

On my 17 M8 the wife and I road to Daytona in Oct 2017 towing a small trailer 150 lbs empty mostly highway until we got to Lake City then two lanes to Daytona,Stock tune and air cleaner with Street Cannon slip ons mileage was between 30 to 32 mpg.But I also don't run ten over the speed limit try to stay right on the speed limit.Even if it was below 30 I cant complain, that's a lot of weight to push and they are as aerodynamic as a brick.

Was just "curios", installing the touring lite tint 9''(LRS).. I would think it would make a noticeable difference.(mileage wise) Has anyone check the before and after, with the same height shield?

The stock shield is 10'', if it deflects the air 2''-3'' above,,, just "thinking" about going with the 9''.

THOUGHTS??

Thanks.......

Was just "curios", installing the touring lite tint 9''(LRS).. I would think it would make a noticeable difference.(mileage wise) Has anyone check the before and after, with the same height shield?

The stock shield is 10'', if it deflects the air 2''-3'' above,,, just "thinking" about going with the 9''.

THOUGHTS??

Thanks.......

Just thinking outloud here.....But do you want a shield for comfort or for MPG...:Shrug:

More for comfort.

Just being curious on the extra wind resistance. And the affect on mpg...

Thanks.

I Never messed with windshields on any of my Trikes...Whatever came standard was good for me.....As long as i could look over them, and not though them.. That said when i had a VTX 1800..2001? And then i set it up for touring, So i put a large Memphis Shades Windshield on, A see though and the MPG's went from if i remember correctly from 38/40 down to 33/34...

But it wasn't the windshield that knocked the MPG down so much, It was because now i wasn't fighting the wind so it was so comfortable to ride at higher speeds and i was even able to smoke a Cigar at 75 MPH, It was the higher speeds that cause the drop....

Like putting brighter head lights on so you can see further down the road, And then human nature takes over so you just drive faster cause you can see further..:D...

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back