frontend lift

hello

i have vw trike with a 1984 goldwind front end it runs great only when i startup from a stop slow the front end will rise up abut 1 1/2 the movement is in the forks the wheel stays on the ground fells like there is to much movement inside the forks ???

Welcome to the Gang from Western Colorado.

Since it's a VW trike, I'm assuming it's rear engine (I've only seen a few mid engine VW Trikes). I suspect there is a disproportionate amount of weight in the rear. I also suspect on a jack rabbit start, the wheel might come off the ground.

I think one of the VW tech's will chime in soon, pretty save group of guys.

It sounds like you are talking about the normal amount of pre-load and droop that is standard for a soft riding telescoping fork.

You don't want to be banging into the upwards limits of the fork all the time. Not only would that be annoying....it would be dangerous also.

The age of your fork may make parts hard to get. But there is/was some very nice progressive rate aftermarket springs available.

But....are you talking about for/aft slack?

I know I beat the bushings up real bad in my wing forks on my trike, wheelies and slam downs were rough on it ...... Vw engine in the front.

Any stock spring from a goldwing is gonna be too stiff. Cutting a spring in half or shortening it will make it stiffer. My fork springs are from an xr80 or 85 can't remember it's so long ago. Unless you have a hundred pound headlight. That would change things.:)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back