First Trike Season was a blast

Jan 16, 2015
Nokomis, IL USA
Well it looks like my first trike season is over. I've put Thunderstruck in the shed but haven't put the stuff in the tank (any recommendations welcomed) for winter just yet. I've managed a good number of miles for this year even though I have been working a ton of overtime. I don't know what day or month it is anymore. I have applied for a M to F day shift position and interview Monday but there's a lot of applicants so I will try until I get one. Took one gal a year to transfer internally.

I had a hit n run accident in the car, I got the guys license plate after chasing him down but the police are being very slow. I almost wonder if he has something to do with the police because of his plate #. That was Sept 22 and then I hit a deer in the car Oct 12. I only want to put the car in the shop once so since it's mostly cosmetic I'm waiting on the info from the hit n run. I guess it was a good thing I had to have a head xray from that accident and they saw something on the xray so I'm having a biopsy next Thursday. I don't think it's anything, its around my thyroid but having it checked out.

I made a couple more videos with the GoPro and find the head strap works best for me. The leaves have already fallen so I was a little late trying to get the fall colors on video...but next riding season will be much better and more videos.

A gal at work cousin bought a new Freewheeler and 3 days later was rearended by a DUI driver. Really scary. The pics were terrible. I'm very alert to everything when riding and am even more now.

I hope everyone has had a safe summer!

Well it looks like my first trike season is over. I've put Thunderstruck in the shed but haven't put the stuff in the tank (any recommendations welcomed) for winter just yet. I've managed a good number of miles for this year even though I have been working a ton of overtime. I don't know what day or month it is anymore. I have applied for a M to F day shift position and interview Monday but there's a lot of applicants so I will try until I get one. Took one gal a year to transfer internally.

I had a hit n run accident in the car, I got the guys license plate after chasing him down but the police are being very slow. I almost wonder if he has something to do with the police because of his plate #. That was Sept 22 and then I hit a deer in the car Oct 12. I only want to put the car in the shop once so since it's mostly cosmetic I'm waiting on the info from the hit n run. I guess it was a good thing I had to have a head xray from that accident and they saw something on the xray so I'm having a biopsy next Thursday. I don't think it's anything, its around my thyroid but having it checked out.

I made a couple more videos with the GoPro and find the head strap works best for me. The leaves have already fallen so I was a little late trying to get the fall colors on video...but next riding season will be much better and more videos.

A gal at work cousin bought a new Freewheeler and 3 days later was rearended by a DUI driver. Really scary. The pics were terrible. I'm very alert to everything when riding and am even more now.

I hope everyone has had a safe summer!

Well, it's been an interesting summer to say the least Jolie!! Sorry to hear about your accidents. Glad to hear you are still in love with the trike. There was very little doubt you would be. And yes - it just gets better and better!!

There are several gas additives for off season storage. I prefer SeaFoam but StaBil and StarTron are also good from what I hear.

GoPro cameras are fun. I've taken hours of trip and then condensed them into just highlights. They still end up being longer then I'd like but cutting too much out defeats the purpose of the video...

Enjoy you winter. Hopefully you will get the day job!!! :xszpv::xszpv:

From what I've just learned due to getting a shot of water in my fuel, don't use any alcohol containing product with Ethanol fuel. Alcohol absorbs water as does Ethanol. It is compounding the problem. Use a non-alcohol product such as Stabil, K100, or any other product you like as long as it does not contain alcohol.

In regular non-ethanol fuel the storage products with alcohol are ok. Just not with Ethanol fuel.

I prefer Stabil 360. I have been using Stabil products for years and never had a problem starting next season. Glad to hear you enjoyed the trike this year. Hope everything works out for you with the accidents and your tests. We'll be praying for ya.

Russ and VickieThumbUp

Can you tell me do you fill the gas tank after adding the winter additive or not? I thought someone said one time to have only a little gas in it but reading on the internet it says put the additive in then fill the tank.

Can you tell me do you fill the gas tank after adding the winter additive or not? I thought someone said one time to have only a little gas in it but reading on the internet it says put the additive in then fill the tank.

I'd put which ever additive in you choose then fill the tank right to the top. Condensation forms in partly empty tanks so that is a good rule of thumb. This is especially true for any metal gas tank because you also have rust formation to contend with. :xszpv: :xszpv:

Dang girl, you've been busy but not in a good way except for work, hope things go well for you with your tests and getting the car fixed. As others have said, put the stabilizer in then fill up, I've used sta-bil for years in our boat up north with out any problems.

If you're storing the trike for winter, fill tank, add fuel stabilizer, then run engine long enough to get treated fuel throughout entire system. Or, you could drive a couple of miles.

You want to fill the tank to eliminate air which holds moisture and then will condensate as tank breathes with temp changes.

Also do oil and filter change before storage.

Wow - you sure had an exciting summer. Here's hoping next season is a bit more mellow.
I had written up a whole winterizing post, hit the wrong kley and lost it all. :gah:
No matter - here is a whole list of winterization posts from the interwebz:
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...-8#q=putting a motorcycle away for the winter

One of the most important tips I learned when living in the snow belt in Minnesota: Once you get it winterized, leave it be. Resist the urge to take it out for a quick ride during that off day or two it gets up to 70° in the January thaw. Snow on the roads means salt on the roads, and even if it is dry the salt dust will get into the nooks and crannies and do it's damage. Best to avoid it.

Oh - it is perfectly normal to sneak into the garage once in a while, sit on the trike and make vroom-vroom sounds.;)

Wow, your summer has def been one with challenges. Overtime is good, just don't burn yourself out. Plus you gotta have a little play time. :) hope all goes well with the Dr. Appointment.

hay gal

I guess we will have to call you ( Crash ) in place of Jolie, good thing you are alright. as for gas additives, what ever you use, after adding the additives let it Idle for 10 or 15 min. or take it for a short ride. the additive need to get every were in the fuel system to be effective. and like they said fill fuel up to the top. ( air is not you friend ) in the tank

Jolie
I have been following your posts through out the summer and it sure looks like you grabbed the bull by the horn and had a great riding season. Being a new trike rider myself I enjoy reading other new trikers experiences. Put almost 5000 miles on mine but plan on doing some polar bear rides here in NJ untill the snow falls. Yes you should fill the tank like others have said and do a oil and filter change. Oil brakes down even while sitting over the winter months so its better to have fresh oil in there. Till next year.

Im glad you enjoyed your first season on your trike Jolie in spite of car accidents and injury.

As you have probably read I got hit twice on my trike in July and just got it back on the road last month.

I too was fighting two insurance company's and it turned out it was better for me to make the claim with my own insurance and let them fight it out with the other drivers insurance.
I had to pay a $250.00 deductible but should get that back eventually.
I was able to pay just one deductible to cover both accidents and neither was my fault so it should work out.
Hell if I had not turned it into mine I would still be waiting to order parts and paint etc.

I have always used stabil in my bike, read the instructions for using x ounces per gal. of gas and then run the bike so it gets into your fuel system, especially important for mine as it is carbureted.
I don't worry so much about filling the tank but at least it would prevent any rust in the tank?

Make sure you put it on a battery tender ok?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back