Finding Neutral

Harleys have always been a pain in trying to find neutral. My 2007 is like that and so was my 2003, 2002, 2000, 1997, 1993, and 1992. Don't know why they can't correct that. Oh, and more miles on mine did NOT make it any easier.

I believe if Harley would go the route that Baker uses in their trans, they could eliminate most all of their hard shifting & noise problems They now have a 7 speed out that drops all the ratios down including 1st gear.
I have never tried one of their boxes, but have talked to a few that have, & they all had high praise for them.
Why would Harley still be using straight cut gearing for one example? It isn't all just the clutch that makes neutral hard to hit ! If it was, why can you put Baker gears inside the Harley box, run Harley's clutch, & never have the problems with the Harley "clunk" or neutral problems ?? Also run quieter. Also without all the friction caused by straight cut gears ,,, less heat generated !

Just my opinion.............:Trike1:
Enjoy & ride Safe !!

What is the procedure for adjusting the clutch on an '05 Ultra with a Lehman conversion, which I just bought? Having trouble finding neutral, and a clutch adjustment is a commone recommendation.
Any "tricks of the trade"?
Thanks

I believe if Harley would go the route that Baker uses in their trans, they could eliminate most all of their hard shifting & noise problems They now have a 7 speed out that drops all the ratios down including 1st gear.
I have never tried one of their boxes, but have talked to a few that have, & they all had high praise for them.
Why would Harley still be using straight cut gearing for one example? It isn't all just the clutch that makes neutral hard to hit ! If it was, why can you put Baker gears inside the Harley box, run Harley's clutch, & never have the problems with the Harley "clunk" or neutral problems ?? Also run quieter. Also without all the friction caused by straight cut gears ,,, less heat generated !

Just my opinion.............:Trike1:
Enjoy & ride Safe !!

It's probably the same reason that HD bad-mouthed synthetics until they started packaging their own. HD is lethargic when it comes to making any changes, but the straight cut gears is something that I thought went out with the buggy whip.... I hate the "clunk" when I shift into first gear from neutral. All my HD's had this, but my Gold Wing didn't. A clunk is a sound of impact, and nothing good will come from an impact.
Thanks for the info.

I had trouble finding neutral til I switched the transmission over to Redline Shokpruf tranny fluid, easy as can be now, my 02 FXSTB was the same way....

My 2010 Triglide shifted into neutral, engine running, with ease from first drive home from the dealer. My 2012 was a total pain in the @$$. I turned the clutch adjustment about three turns tighter and it behaved perfectly just like the 2010. Something to look at, or ask the dealer to look at it.

Did the extra tightening cause any negative results? I am assuming you meant three turns in after "contact" or resistance.

I know this is an old thread but it's a new issue for me as this is my first 6-speed Harley. I've had 3 other H-Ds, all 2 wheelers and 5-speeds. My 2012 TriGlide has been difficult with the neutral issue since new. I recently changed the tranny to Redline Shockproof and the primary to reline High Temp ATF at 12,500 miles. (Both of these products work extremely well in my 1999 RK, 5-speed.) After a 200 mile ride yesterday, Jan 3, 2014, I sat in my driveway for 15 minutes with the motor running and was unable to find neutral! Turned the engine off, and neutral was easy. Today I changed tranny and primary back to MoCo spec oil and all is wonderful. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it fixed the problem for me.

I know this is an old thread but it's a new issue for me as this is my first 6-speed Harley. I've had 3 other H-Ds, all 2 wheelers and 5-speeds. My 2012 TriGlide has been difficult with the neutral issue since new. I recently changed the tranny to Redline Shockproof and the primary to reline High Temp ATF at 12,500 miles. (Both of these products work extremely well in my 1999 RK, 5-speed.) After a 200 mile ride yesterday, Jan 3, 2014, I sat in my driveway for 15 minutes with the motor running and was unable to find neutral! Turned the engine off, and neutral was easy. Today I changed tranny and primary back to MoCo spec oil and all is wonderful. I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it fixed the problem for me.

Good thing you changed the primary back, ATF and the compensator they use in your 2012 isn't a good combination. In 2007 HD changed the compensator design and its been all down hill from there. They tried to fix their screwup by designing the Screamin Eagle compensator which is the style in your Triglide, they haven't gotten it right yet. Even the 2014 which has a different twist on the Screamin Eagle compensator has had a revision from what I've heard.

The biggest issues they have been having is getting lubrication to the places where it is most needed, this causes fretting and galling both which lead to early demise of the compensator. The best fluid for the primary is Formula+, it seems to help the compensator live a longer life, it doesn't solve the problem, just helps it to live a bit longer. Sooner or later the compensator will go bad, you'll notice it when you start hearing clanking when you shut the engine off when everything is warm. My dads was quiet as a church mouse until about the 30,000 mile mark when his started clanking pretty loud while out west. He was still under extended warranty which paid for the replacement, dealer replaced it and its quiet once again.

I have owned 8 Harleys since 1988 and not one was I able to click into neutral without a problem - ever.
Only way it worked great was with the engine off or riding slowly and shifting into neutral BEFORE coming to a stop.

For me - no big deal - it's a Harley and I expect that and the other traits of a Harley - if I didn't I wouldn't buy one.

I have owned 8 Harleys since 1988 and not one was I able to click into neutral without a problem - ever.
Only way it worked great was with the engine off or riding slowly and shifting into neutral BEFORE coming to a stop.

For me - no big deal - it's a Harley and I expect that and the other traits of a Harley - if I didn't I wouldn't buy one.

Another change that would most likely help is a different shift cam that lets you put neutral in the place of first gear, & 1st in the place of neutral. Local MOCO parts manager was showing it to me. It was in the FAT BOOK.

<cite class="vurls">www.dragspecialties.com/catalogs/</cite>

Just a thought.

Thanks for the heads up on the compensator. Went thru that on the 1999 RK early on.

Good thing you changed the primary back, ATF and the compensator they use in your 2012 isn't a good combination. In 2007 HD changed the compensator design and its been all down hill from there. They tried to fix their screwup by designing the Screamin Eagle compensator which is the style in your Triglide, they haven't gotten it right yet. Even the 2014 which has a different twist on the Screamin Eagle compensator has had a revision from what I've heard.

The biggest issues they have been having is getting lubrication to the places where it is most needed, this causes fretting and galling both which lead to early demise of the compensator. The best fluid for the primary is Formula+, it seems to help the compensator live a longer life, it doesn't solve the problem, just helps it to live a bit longer. Sooner or later the compensator will go bad, you'll notice it when you start hearing clanking when you shut the engine off when everything is warm. My dads was quiet as a church mouse until about the 30,000 mile mark when his started clanking pretty loud while out west. He was still under extended warranty which paid for the replacement, dealer replaced it and its quiet once again.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back