Deflector Wings

"Yeah, that is a bummer about the clearance with your handlebars. The Tank Lift brings a lot of benefits, but sometimes it conflicts with certain handlebar adjustments. You can trade your CDW's to the version with no tank lift if you'd like. Just contact the shop on Monday."

Kevin, not even a little problem! I'm a big boy and knew I was taking a chance when I ordered. Just disappointed, not because of the issue, but I liked the idea enough to take the chance. I'm still not done trying. I don't want to move the bars forward as they are where I like them now. They just barely hit - So I may try taking up a bit of the slack to move the tank back just a bit. I might even just pad the bars and live with the slightly diminished turn radius. The only time you hit the stops is parking lot maneuvering anyway. Or maybe lean back - Put my feet on the bars and push! I am not going to take that damn fairing off anymore! lol

"Yeah, that is a bummer about the clearance with your handlebars. The Tank Lift brings a lot of benefits, but sometimes it conflicts with certain handlebar adjustments. You can trade your CDW's to the version with no tank lift if you'd like. Just contact the shop on Monday."

Kevin, not even a little problem! I'm a big boy and knew I was taking a chance when I ordered. Just disappointed, not because of the issue, but I liked the idea enough to take the chance. I'm still not done trying. I don't want to move the bars forward as they are where I like them now. They just barely hit - So I may try taking up a bit of the slack to move the tank back just a bit. I might even just pad the bars and live with the slightly diminished turn radius. The only time you hit the stops is parking lot maneuvering anyway. Or maybe lean back - Put my feet on the bars and push! I am not going to take that damn fairing off anymore! lol

Shifting the tank back will give more room to work with that was an issue I had to closely watch installing the handlebars hang in there.;) Fred

Cool. It takes a few minutes...but you can elongate the slots at the rear tank mount to allow the tank to move back further.

Like Fearless said, take your time and be careful...sounds like you are really close and can make it happen.

Kevin

Cool. It takes a few minutes...but you can elongate the slots at the rear tank mount to allow the tank to move back further.

Like Fearless said, take your time and be careful...sounds like you are really close and can make it happen.

Kevin

TaDa! With even my limited patience and skills the tank has move back enough to clear the handle bars! So now....how do you guys adjust the wind wings on the fairing to not hit the new wings I just installed......That and they are different from side to side - I am really having a good time now! If not for you guys....there just might be parts all over the back yard lol. I also can't wait to meet a few of you at the Maggie Valley gathering. We can only be there the 6th, 7th and 8th.....But I love seeing all the bikes then going home and stealing all your ideas, all the time professing they are JC originals!!

TaDa! With even my limited patience and skills the tank has move back enough to clear the handle bars! So now....how do you guys adjust the wind wings on the fairing to not hit the new wings I just installed......That and they are different from side to side - I am really having a good time now! If not for you guys....there just might be parts all over the back yard lol. I also can't wait to meet a few of you at the Maggie Valley gathering. We can only be there the 6th, 7th and 8th.....But I love seeing all the bikes then going home and stealing all your ideas, all the time professing they are JC originals!!

I just turned and tweaked and well cussed a little, but I have them to where they don't mark anything and may touch just a little. When the wheel is turned that far I'm not going ant speed at all.:D Congratulations on your new found patients. :victory:Travel safely Fred

OK - I've adjusted close for now....the Fairing Wings push down slightly at full lock. But before I adjust further, any suggestions on the angle of the deflector? Too Flat? Too upright? Feel free to express what worked best for all of you. Would like to be close before I finish bending...lol

Thanks - jc

20170724_194425_resized.jpg20170724_194437_resized.jpg

OK - I've adjusted close for now....the Fairing Wings push down slightly at full lock. But before I adjust further, any suggestions on the angle of the deflector? Too Flat? Too upright? Feel free to express what worked best for all of you. Would like to be close before I finish bending...lol

Thanks - jc

View attachment 47229View attachment 47230
Those look really good same as mine. Nice work! Fred

Thanks - jc

View attachment 47229View attachment 47230

That looks really good. Close to the same angle I have mine at... Mine might be at a bit sharper angle, but that does not mean mine is at the best angle. Once you are going down the road you can put your hand down there and feel all the air being pushed onto the engine.

Also, you can put your hand up above the void between the front of the tank and the inner fairing and feel very little air moving there. (that's where so much of the air comes from that causes buffeting).

Pic below is of my TG and how I have mine adjusted.

CDW%20Right%20Side.jpg

Kevin

That looks really good. Close to the same angle I have mine at... Mine might be at a bit sharper angle, but that does not mean mine is at the best angle. Once you are going down the road you can put your hand down there and feel all the air being pushed onto the engine.

Pic below is of my TG and how I have mine adjusted.

CDW%20Right%20Side.jpg

Kevin

As hard as it is to see in my dark picture - You are right - I'm pretty close to your angle. Thanks all for the feedback - jc

Let's see how mine look the first are how they are now and the last ones are first install I get no critter splats on my fuel tank if that means anything.

Attachments

• DSC00481.JPG
    DSC00481.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC00490.JPG
    DSC00490.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC00223.JPG
    DSC00223.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC00226.JPG
    DSC00226.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC00228.JPG
    DSC00228.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC00218.JPG
    DSC00218.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 127
I must have had mine on and off 6-8 times before I got them where the fairing won't hit and they won't vibrate on the lowers. Bend a little, nope, too much, bend back, not enough, lol, the front of the deflector is not touching anything, it's the angle I took the picture at.

Attachments

• deflectors.jpg
    deflectors.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 215
So......Finally able to get on the Trike today to give the Tank lift and Wind Deflectors a spin.

The Pro's are:

Actually very easy to install and the final adjustments to both - Pretty straight forward.

The Effectiveness of these two combined is very rewarding! I had no helmet buffeting, and even tho today was not as hot, there was a noticeable drop in hot air around the bike. Such a change makes riding with a 1/2 helmet enjoyable......as it can be.....

Cons: I found that at speeds over about 90 mph, the helmet buffeting starts to come back. At 106 it's almost like before the install, almost.

So.....as long as you plan on keeping it under 90.......these things work GREAT! lol

Thanks DK - jc

So......Finally able to get on the Trike today to give the Tank lift and Wind Deflectors a spin.

The Pro's are:

Actually very easy to install and the final adjustments to both - Pretty straight forward.

The Effectiveness of these two combined is very rewarding! I had no helmet buffeting, and even tho today was not as hot, there was a noticeable drop in hot air around the bike. Such a change makes riding with a 1/2 helmet enjoyable......as it can be.....

Cons: I found that at speeds over about 90 mph, the helmet buffeting starts to come back. At 106 it's almost like before the install, almost.

So.....as long as you plan on keeping it under 90.......these things work GREAT! lol

Thanks DK - jc

I agree 100% with your observations at anything above 90. I have a sharp pain in my shoulder such awful static on inter-com that goes away when speed diminishes to reasonable speeds. :D LOL Ride safe Fred

The Pro's are:

Thanks DK - jc

:)