Deals Gap

Oct 13, 2013
Washingtonville
Hey all, Hope everyone's having a great summer. A couple of buddies and myself are taking on the Tail of the Dragon in early Sept. As I will be the only trike with everyone else on two wheels I was wondering if anyone who has ridden the road is willing to give some advise. Maybe some do's and don'ts. Thanks

Hey all, Hope everyone's having a great summer. A couple of buddies and myself are taking on the Tail of the Dragon in early Sept. As I will be the only trike with everyone else on two wheels I was wondering if anyone who has ridden the road is willing to give some advise. Maybe some do's and don'ts. Thanks

Been there, made the tires greasy on a v-twin sport bike before the days of heavy law enforcement and risked my life foolishly. Threw the t-shirt away after realizing what a fool I had been. Subsequently have enjoyed the Dragon on different bikes (including a Road King) at more sane speeds and even in a car. Take a few minutes to reflect at the Tree of Shame at the beginning of the Dragon as you decide how to proceed. There are more "squids" per square mile on the Dragon than there are in the ocean. If you are asking for do's and don'ts, here is my grown-up short list:

Do's = Enjoy the scenery and the twisty road

Don'ts = Try and prove anything to yourself and/or your riding buddies and consider the previous Do's:clapping:

Don't miss riding the Cherohala Skyway ThumbUp

Just my .02 since you asked. Have a great and safe ride through the twisties.

IMO...the Dragon is not an extremely challenging road, but it is a tiring road, especially for a trike. It's a beautiful ride, take your time, enjoy the scenery and watch out for idiots. Don't get stressed, the road itself will not challenge your abilities.

The pictures are worth it

everybody needs to do the Dragon at least once

We have been out there by ourselves and twice with the Trike Talk group. It is a lot safer since they outlawed semi's, but still stay away from the center stripe. You cant see around a lot of the curves, and cutting the corners is common, especially for cars and flatlanders not used to very curvy roads. Early in the week during the morning is the best time to ride, as most of the weekend riders and squids have gone and the next weekend's riders haven't arrived yet. The scenery is beautiful, or so I'm told by my wife. I've not seen it - blind curves, no guardrails, almost no straights, inattentive, inexperienced, incompetent or just plain dumb drivers/riders that could be coming at you around the next curve take up your attention. There isn't time for sightseeing.

Deals Gap is a bucket list ride, but we found other roads in the area were actually more fun - Hwy 28 (the cutesy name is "Moonshiner 28)and the Cherohala Parkway are our favorites.
Got a GPS? Set "Home" to where you are staying, then go get lost - if a road looks interesting, then take it and find out where it leads. When it is time to go back, select "Home" and back to your hotel/camp you go. Some of the most interesting sights and roads we have been on we found this way.

I've been on it 4 times on 4 different bikes. I think it's a bucket list ride. It's a good road and you really need to pay attention to the road signs, if it says 20mph, believe it. Don't rush it, enjoy it. Let others pass on by you and ride your own pace. Oh, don't forget to get the T-Shirt and the Decal from the General store. Have funThumbUp

If you are there for a week, make Tues Wed Thurs your ride. As others have said, shy away from weekends and especially holiday ones. Also, stay toward the right edge of the pavement; the last time there we had 2 crotch rockets come around us on the inside of the curve, in the other lane. If you haven't discovered it yet, Push and pull makes a trike corner much more efficiently; quick steering and you don't have to worry about dragging your pipes or floorboards! It is, however, a workout... Lots of different skill levels, just ride your ride and enjoy!:Trike1:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (and sticker)!

I have not ridden my TG on the dragon but have ridden my previous limited. I did not enjoy it on the limited at all. I've driven it many many time in my go fast type autos and like Capt Bob, driven it much too fast. One thing I try to keep in mind since I've grown out of my foolish previous style of driving is that while this road is world famous for both two and four Wheeler's it is a local route of travel for many of the locals. Don't do as I used to do and drive so aggressively that the locals feel intimidated. I hope to take my TG out there soon from here in central NC just so I can add a dragon decal.. :D

I've ridden this road the last 7 yrs even at night w/ my road king and dyna super custom and can't wait to get the trike on it.....along with the many other challenging and enjoying roads thru out the area into Ga. Support/agree with most of the comments... The challenge is what you make of it and what the traffic and weather will permit.... Keep extra distance between bikes, many blind curves and if you run it enough you will see it all( accidents, disabled bikes, vehicles, critter crossing, extremely show vehicles.... In addition too riding mid week you may want too check the events calendars on deals gap or dragon tail for club gatherings theses events certainly jam I up.... Be safe

The Tail

Thanks All, I made the mistake of googling deaths on the tail of the dragon and saw there were two recent fatal trike accidents. One speed was involved and the most recent a 90 yo passenger was killed. When you run the numbers, motorcycles/deaths it's statistically no worse than any other road. When you run motorcycle/non fatal OMG. 90+ percent of all motorcycle related accidents involve sportbikes. Regardless it's on the list and we're going

Thanks All, I made the mistake of googling deaths on the tail of the dragon and saw there were two recent fatal trike accidents. One speed was involved and the most recent a 90 yo passenger was killed. When you run the numbers, motorcycles/deaths it's statistically no worse than any other road. When you run motorcycle/non fatal OMG. 90+ percent of all motorcycle related accidents involve sportbikes. Regardless it's on the list and we're going

Sadistics be damned. You WILL DIE if you ride your trike at excessive speeds above a brisk walk on the devil's highway:AGGHH: Best thing you can do is sell it to me now for substantially below wholesale and I will have saved your life:clapping:

OTOH, if you disregard all of our carefully crafted opinions and my very generous, lifesaving offer and just go have a good time, there is a 99.9999% chance that you will live to tell about it. Please post your experiences if you don't get whacked:cxtv: BTW, I hope your passenger is not 90 years-old. They could die of heart failure from one or all of those 318 turns!!!

I have been on the dragon several times only with a trike. I have fun on it but there are several roads in the area that are just as nice to ride. The only advise I will give is to ride your own ride and don't let others push you. Most of the dragon is very easy to ride but then you have that one curve that sneaks up on you and tries to kick your butt. Ride safe and have fun!

Tail

I just rode it today on my triglide it was a good work out for the arms but if you don't go to much faster than the posted speed limit its pretty easy

Do's and don'ts-

Do ride on a weekday if at all possible.

Do keep an eye on your mirrors and let anyone wanting to go faster pass you.

Don't ride faster than your comfortable riding.

Do pay attention to the signs painted in the road, there are some anomalies in the road that can come up fast if you ignore them.

Don't let other bikes pressure you into riding faster.

Do enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Don't be afraid of your Tri-Glide not being able to handle it.

Do- if you want to go faster, but reduce the possibility of lifting a rear tire in a sharp corner, lower your rear air shock pressure down to 10-20 psi.

Do- if you want to go faster, practice making sharp corners at different speeds in a big empty parking lot. Then you will know what you are comfortable with and what your not comfortable with Before getting to The Dragon.

Do lean to the inside of a corner with your body weight, this will help keep the Trike more stable in a sharp curve (if you want to go faster than the speed limit, otherwise, it is unnecessary to do this)

DO, FOR SURE, ride the Cherohala Skyway, it is a fantastic road, ride and great scenery.

I am posting the video below, NOT as an encouragement for you to ride fast on the Dragon, but to give you confidence that your Tri-Glide can handle it with ease and as long as you don't ride faster than your comfort level you will be fine.

Kevin

That video reminded me about the edge, it almost always has a drop off which can grab a wheel, even an unweighted one.
We ridden the Dragon on 2, 3 and 6(SUV + trailer) but we like other roads better. The Snake, Rattler, Python, Cherohala, Moonshiner, Devils Triangle etc.
Find this map http://americaridesmaps.com/products/100-great-motorcycle-rides-in-the-smoky-mountains<http: americaridesmaps.com="" products="" 100-great-motorcycle-rides-in-the-smoky-mountains="]. I ordered mine. The only place I saw it was at the deals gap store.</http:>

We've done it 3 times now and it's awsome! The main thing to remember is to do it at your own pace. If you happen to get a glimpse of someone who's chompin at the bit to pass, just keep driving and take your time. Given the first chance to pass, they will. Also DO NOT CROSS THE CENTER LINE!! Stay in your own lane at ALL times. I personally think that the Devils Triangle is better than the Dragon...Also, you should stop by Smoky Mountain HD, the best dealer around and we've been to alot of em!! Great service, friendly people and awsome food at Stinkers BBQ!!
Have fun and be safe!!:D

That video reminded me about the edge, it almost always has a drop off which can grab a wheel, even an unweighted one.
We ridden the Dragon on 2, 3 and 6(SUV + trailer) but we like other roads better. The Snake, Rattler, Python, Cherohala, Moonshiner, Devils Triangle etc.
Find this map http://americaridesmaps.com/products/100-great-motorcycle-rides-in-the-smoky-mountains<http: products="" 100-great-motorcycle-rides-in-the-smoky-mountains="" americaridesmaps.com="">. I ordered mine. The only place I saw it was at the deals gap store.</http:>

The Pig Trail in Arkansas is also a very nice road. I call it the mini Dragon but waaaaay longer.

Then to make sure you're a "real" biker, do Mt Nebo while you're down there. :D

I do the Skyline Dr./BRP/Cherohala Skyway every year coming home from Rolling Thunder. This year I deviated a bit and did the Tail from the bottom to top just to see how it is on a trike.

About 10 years ago I did it from the top down on my Ultra.

I am a bit of an "on the edge" rider so I ride a tad over the limits where ever I ride. 2 years ago I followed and kept up with 7 crotch rockets on the BRP. This year I pulled behind a couple of Limiteds and stayed with them the whole way. Nothing extremely crazy, just robust and to prove the TG can handle. I'm tired hearing from non trike riders how bad a trike handles. I'm here to say that's bull$hit.

I wouldn't try doing that if I had just bought a TG, but I do have 5 years under my belt.

My only advise is ride at your comfort level.

And as was said previously - you will get an upper body workout. ThumbUp :D :pepper:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back