Crack in Tent Camper Lid

I have a small pull behind pop up tent trailer that has a crack in the white ABS plastic lid. It was caused by something pushing from behind that put a 1" crack near the edge, running vertically up. It is sort of like bending a piece of bread, having it crack along the outside, but not cracking completely through. The crack is tight, so I thought some glue that would bond to ABS would work. I looked on the internet, but got confused by all the info.

Does anyone have a suggestion that could help fix the crack? I'm afraid it will continue to split apart if nothing is done.

Smitty,I have done minor abs plastic repairs using JB Weld and the repair never came apart.It's also sandable and paintable.A 1" crack may require some material to be added as a filler.
Harbor Freight sells a ABS Plastic welding kit that might work for your repair.
Might also check with a jet-ski repair shop as most bodies are abs plastic.
Hope this helps.

You can patch ABS plastic with the cement that is sold for ABS plastic pipe. I have used it to repair ABS panels on bikes. Several coats can be used to fill in cracks. You might want to consider a strip of fiberglass cloth or something similar over the crack for strength.
Clean off any paint on the surface. Clean with the solvent recommended on the can. Lay down a layer of the cement, then the cloth, then to with more cement to get a good bond.
A good hardware store should be able to supply what you need. The can on my workbench is from Oatey. They make an assortment of plastic adhesives.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back