Complete Horror!!!!!

Oct 18, 2011
salt lake city, ut
MAYBE I SHOULD CHANGE MY NAME TO THE "AMERICANCANDYASS"-because it was a scarey maiden voyage today!!! Finally got my roadking coversion to a rideable point, and I don't know if I am going to ever get relaxed enough to ride canyons etc. I went around the block two times-but the feeling of falling over or off was bad during turns!!!! Perhaps I could only go places that are straight roads-because I was kinda ok on the straight aways. The feeling of my AZZ going one way, and my body going the other was very unsettling. I have wide ape hanger bars on it so it was easy to steer without adding an EZ steer. I think I like the idea of adding wheel base to it though. Do any of you TrikeGods think I should stiffen up the IRS-would it be more of a stable feeling. AT this point-if things don't get better I might be selling this trike.:AGGHH::censored::AGGHH:

MAYBE I SHOULD CHANGE MY NAME TO THE "AMERICANCANDYASS"-because it was a scarey maiden voyage today!!! Finally got my roadking coversion to a rideable point, and I don't know if I am going to ever get relaxed enough to ride canyons etc. I went around the block two times-but the feeling of falling over or off was bad during turns!!!! Perhaps I could only go places that are straight roads-because I was kinda ok on the straight aways. The feeling of my AZZ going one way, and my body going the other was very unsettling. I have wide ape hanger bars on it so it was easy to steer without adding an EZ steer. I think I like the idea of adding wheel base to it though. Do any of you TrikeGods think I should stiffen up the IRS-would it be more of a stable feeling. AT this point-if things don't get better I might be selling this trike.:AGGHH::censored::AGGHH:

I have an idea.... Watch SLC punk... and then go kick some ass!

On a bike you counter steer and do not learn to make a trun, on a trike you trun in the direction you want to go (Lock your outside elbow) plus lean in to the curve. The leaning does not make the trike turn it helps you stay on the trike. I find turning my head and locking the outside elbow to be a key, why??? I do not know but it works, trust me.

The other key is learning to trust your trike, give her time she will not fail you. start slow, even in a parking lot , do 360 degree turn at 10mph etc building speed you will get the "LOCK, LOOK, LEAN down.

I hate to be contradictory but leaning on a trike is NOT the answer. Especially in a curve or corner where you need to maintain absolute control. By leaning you position your body off center and give up a large portion of your ability to control and react to changes.

While cornering the rider should transfer their weight to the outside leg and push on the outside handle bar while also holding onto the inside handlebar and if possible griping the side of the trike with the inside leg/foot.

This accomplishes two important things. First it negates the centrifugal force issue so you don't get pushed to the outside and loose you balance (or worse) and second it keeps the ride positioned in the middle of the trike so they have maximum control.

OH, and another plus is you will get comfortable and enjoy the ride real quick.

You asked about stiffing the rear suspension..... I do when I run the twisties. Motor trike says to start out at 24 pounds of air. I found that to be way too little. I generally run 32 to 35 and when I push the envelope I go up to around 43. Depending on how much weight you are carrying (I have a full trunk and a full seat) minimum is not enough. Play with that adjustment and you'll find what works best for you.

Last edited:
Well I can tell you are not going to tip over under 60 MPH. Fall off maybe? This stuff takes time just keep saying to yourself " am I gona have fun on this once I get the hang of this " pull on one side lock the elbo on the other . You still need to power through the corner. You fell into the belief that this was gona be a piece of cake. I taught a 70 year old woman 5' 2" tall 120 lbs ride an 1800 Goldwing. Some members on here can attest to the fact that she road 100 miles to the 1st trike talk rally 3weeks-after she got a license . What trike is it you are trying to ride?

Well I can tell you are not going to tip over under 60 MPH. Fall off maybe? This stuff takes time just keep saying to yourself " am I gona have fun on this once I get the hang of this " pull on one side lock the elbo on the other . You still need to power through the corner. You fell into the belief that this was gona be a piece of cake. I taught a 70 year old woman 5' 2" tall 120 lbs ride an 1800 Goldwing. Some members on here can attest to the fact that she road 100 miles to the 1st trike talk rally 3weeks-after she got a license . What trike is it you are trying to ride?

It is a road king with an AmericanTrike IRS kit. Thanks for story about the 70 year old lady-I feel better about myself already LOL! In my defense I have ridden 2 wheels for 30 years, and rode this HD for 10 years before the recent conversion, it now has about a 2.5 inch higher seat, same bars etc. Maybe I just thought it would come easier, tomorrow will be a better outing I hope:D:D

You WILL get comfortable with it. You need to expect at least 400 - 500 miles of riding before you do though. If you have been riding two wheels for many years (leaning and counter-steering), it will take a little longer to relax into actually pointing that front wheel in the direction you want to go. You are not feeling anything unusual---we've all been there.

I am a small woman and I know it may be different for a big man, but I wonder about your handlebars. Easiest steering is usually with your arms relaxed, elbows bent, and NOT with the very wide spaced bars. Then you simply straighten your right arm to push the handlebar and turn the wheel left, or the left arm to turn right. In addition, the EZ steer definitely would smooth out the cornering for you.

A close friend of ours (6'3", 300 lbs) recently triked his Road Glide. He did get EZ steer, but still complained of the steering repeatedly. He watched the way my handlebars fit me, and changed his out for a less wide set with pull backs, and immediately found the steering more comfortable.

Physics enters into riding a trike. If you weigh 120 pounds you can go around curves much faster and be comfortable.

If you weigh 300 pounds, your body wants to go to the outside of the curve.
Your only option is to slow down or loose weight.

In my opinion, leaning on a trike works for me.

Physics enters into riding a trike. If you weigh 120 pounds you can go around curves much faster and be comfortable.

If you weigh 300 pounds, your body wants to go to the outside of the curve.
Your only option is to slow down or loose weight.

In my opinion, leaning on a trike works for me.

All true, works for a 400 pounds ask me how I know.

Gold rush said While cornering the rider should transfer their weight to the outside leg and push on the outside handle bar while also holding onto the inside handlebar and if possible griping the side of the trike with the inside leg/foot.

I call that leaning, the amount you do it is according to what your butt is telling you.

All true, works for a 400 pounds ask me how I know.

Gold rush said While cornering the rider should transfer their weight to the outside leg and push on the outside handle bar while also holding onto the inside handlebar and if possible griping the side of the trike with the inside leg/foot.

I call that leaning, the amount you do it is according to what your butt is telling you.

Yea...I am 6'5" and weigh about 320 after my morning dump. My butt is almost in a different zip code....but I am willing to start listening to it more! Right now am am getting my nerve up to go try it again...reminds me of what people who skydive go through in the begining. Last night I tightend the shock tension, and brought the ape hangers back a few inches......wish me luck!!!!:AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH::AGGHH:

A little road experience is what's needed to re-program your brain. You'll soon learn not to counter steer, and you will not tip over. On my first test ride on a trike, I pulled out of the dealers driveway and it started slanting to the left, so I steered left so as not to tip over and ended up going down the wrong way of a divided hwy. You will soon learn to treat it like a 3 wheel car, steering it and not worry about balance. Seems to me that ape hangers will make it more difficult for you to counteract centrifugal forces in a turn as you are giving up mechanical advantage with your arms up in the air instead of down lower. Locking your outside arm is good advice and arms at shoulder level will give max advantage. Anything above or below will give less and ape hangers will certainly give up leverage that you need. This not only helps steering but also keeps you in the saddle and not sliding off. If your arms are up in the air the only thing keeping your butt in the saddle is your foot on the outside peg.

Dump the ape hangers. They help lean a two wheeler but they hinder the turning of the front wheel of a trike. After 65,000 miles on a trike I think I would be scared to death to ride yours too.

I was thinking the same thing John. Im not so sure ape hangers are the best choice for a trike. I think it would give the feeling of less control.

6'4" and 330 #......30k miles on my Roadsmith Harley Ultra conversion. Love the 10" extra wheel base...tall boy seat and 13" mini apes...steers like it ought to. What it comes down to IMHO is to personalize the ergonomics of the trike to the rider. I can cut the twisties like I never thought I would.:wave4:..however, the first few times I rode this machine scared the bejesus out of me. :AGGHH:

Comparison would be like turning a screw with a screwdriver or with a 3/8 drive rattchet wrench, all depends on on how much they are pulled back or how straight up they are .

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back