Cb not working

Oct 19, 2011
GLEN ELLYN, IL. USA
I've had my '14 TG in to get my CB fixed - 4 visits and still can't fix it. They put a new CB unit in to test that, but it wasn't it, then they put in a new tank console plug assembly, but it also didn't do any good. They did fine some wires that were abraded under the fairing an re-taped them. They said something about replacing the head unit (?) also. So far nothing. I'm getting pissed-I had to pay $800+ to have it installed in the first place.
My problem is no one can hear me or at best very very faintly. I can barely hear others. Both actions sounds like I'm/they are in a fish bowl(garbled). The static that was there at the beginning is gone now-replaced with the garbled sound. My speakers are fine.

We did switch out the antenna - no help. The only thing they haven't done is check the wires from the antenna to the console. Does anyone think that may be the problem of have had the same problem? The dealer is going to call tech services today to get some help - he's run out of ideas.
Yesterday we switched mics. The new mic seamed better, but still no help in receiving. And when he or I releases our PTT button we get a very very loud pop. The squelch does not affect anything.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

It seams like they have checked everything :Shrug: Most times it's the Grounding of the radio to the bike :Shrug: You must have a solid ground between the two. If you are using a headset, have you changed that out ? Keep us posted .

It seams like they have checked everything :Shrug: Most times it's the Grounding of the radio to the bike :Shrug: You must have a solid ground between the two. If you are using a headset, have you changed that out ? Keep us posted .

I cut off the ear speakers and clip the mic to my jacket - like the cops do. I listen over the fairing speakers.

Someone else suggested hooking up the antenna directly to the CB under the fairing to see if it might be the wiring.

I cut off the ear speakers and clip the mic to my jacket - like the cops do. I listen over the fairing speakers.

Someone else suggested hooking up the antenna directly to the CB under the fairing to see if it might be the wiring.

You have to understand, they aren't radio techs. If you check the SWR & power out of the radio to the antenna. The SWR check will tell you if the wire is ok. They usually have a high SWR anyway because of no ground plane & coax isn't a matched wave length. Check it outside in the clear, without any buildings close. Nothing metal especially.
Also be sure & check all the grounds including from the antenna.
If the squelch has no effect there is a problem with the radio or possibly switching/control.

Search around in your area for a CB radio shop. Yes, they still do exist: to my surprise I found one in the Daytona Beach area and they are top notch (I found them when I was looking int alternatives to spending $600 to add a factory CB to my '14 TG). A second choice would be a Ham radio shop, or anyone that sells/services mobile radio equipment. These people are radio techs, and have the necessary equipment to check output, SWR, etc.

Was going to ask if they checked SWR (standing wave ratio) That could answer the sent signal weakness. Have you tried using the CB pretty close to another bike, you may have antenna problems. Good Luck

A couple of times right next(10')to each other, but mostly from one end of the parking lot to the other side(maybe 150'~200'.

I'm taking it in again tonight. Tech Services told the dealer pretty much what everyone here is saying = check all the wiring from the Antenna to the console. Then check everything that was added to the bike for wiring problems- especially if it is a Kuryakyn product because they've had a lot of problems with them.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back