BUGS

Sep 12, 2013
Arthur City
Just got a new 2013 TriGlide on Friday the 13th.
What do you use on your fenders & fairings to make bugs slide off easier? I have heard lemon Pledge and I have used that on plastic surfaces like fairings, but is it ok to use on the fenders???

The best thing to use is hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Some suggest diluting it 2 -1 with water but when you buy it, it is already diluted. Just spray it on, let is sit for 5 minutes and then spray the bike off. The hydrogen proxide breaks down the protein on the insects and makes it easier to remove. Of couse having a good coat of wax on the bike helps too.

Make sure when you put your Hydrogen Peroxide in your spray bottle that the plastic bottle is a dark brown or even black. Sunlight will break down the Hydrogen Peroxide over time. That's why when you buy it the bottle is dark brown.

The best thing to use is hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Some suggest diluting it 2 -1 with water but when you buy it, it is already diluted. Just spray it on, let is sit for 5 minutes and then spray the bike off. The hydrogen proxide breaks down the protein on the insects and makes it easier to remove. Of couse having a good coat of wax on the bike helps too.

Make sure when you put your Hydrogen Peroxide in your spray bottle that the plastic bottle is a dark brown or even black. Sunlight will break down the Hydrogen Peroxide over time. That's why when you buy it the bottle is dark brown.

Interesting fact, I stopped stopped to think of peroxide breaking down?

I was actually asking about something to KEEP them from sticking. My local HD shop[ sells a product called Bugslide. If Pledge works OK and doesn't harm the paint. I'm sure it is cheaper

Been using pledge for years on the motorcycles, snowmobiles, utv's and trikes it works great -- try to get the non-scented pledge for the summertime -- the lemon and orange really attract bee's

I've used Pledge and it works fine but will streak as mentioned. My favorite is Wizard's Mist and Shine and their bug cleaner. The Mist and Shine will remove bugs and make the trike shine like you waxed it. I know of a couple guys that use the Pigs Snot and say that is great but haven't seen in around here or in our local HD. To give it a really good cleaning I use the good old method of a 1500 psi power washer (a small electric Karcher brand one) and a bucket of water with Mequir's car wash soap. A good coat or two of wax will help with the bugs coming off easier.

2011 Merlot and Black TG

I find the best way to keep bugs off the trike is to sing out loud while riding...This will ensure that all bugs bypass the trike to go directly into your mouth. Mmmmmm, protein.:qpnmt:

The best way I found to remove bugs is to heat up a wet rag in the microwave. Place the hot rag on the bug. The steam from the hot rag lifts the bug off the paint or windshield. (No scratches). Works for me. Cheap too! Lol

Used many things over the years. Hot wet towel to get them off. Hydrogen peroxide, Bugslide, Simple Green, Royal Blue, Pledge. The key is to do it as quickly as possible...longer they are on there, more stubborn they are to remove.

I've found that the best thing to keep them from sticking is a good wax AND Bugslide.

Used many things over the years. Hot wet towel to get them off. Hydrogen peroxide, Bugslide, Simple Green, Royal Blue, Pledge. The key is to do it as quickly as possible...longer they are on there, more stubborn they are to remove.

I've found that the best thing to keep them from sticking is a good wax AND Bugslide.

You could always let it sit in the garage. You won't have any bugs to remove.

I got some Heat before For saying this! But every time we stop. If for gas or anything else. I spray my fairing off with Meguiar's Quik Detailer. Works great and helps keeping your Wax job on also. Not to much of a problem with my windshield since its only 4 inches tall :D. Everyone has their own way of dealing with this issue. As soon as we get home at night. I take a hot or warm soapy old bath towel cut in 1/2 and hit the fairing and the front forks. Comes off like Magic. What ever floats your boat. Just get them off soon as you can. I seen a bike one day at a Rally that had some many bugs on his fairing. You could have made a sandwich :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back