Bluebonnets in Texas Hill Country

I forgot to mention that if you go to the Fredericksburg area and north on Hwy 16, make plans to go on up to Llano and take in Cooper's BBQ. It is a favorite spot for bikers and visitors of all kinds. The BBQ is excellent and the shoulder to shoulder dining atmosphere is a memory you can take back to NJ. The line to get in can sometimes be long but it is worth the wait. Enjoy your trip and be safe.

And of course breakfast in Marble Falls, TX at the Bluebonnet Cafe. I think they have been in business since about 1930. A lot of bikes go there on Saturday mornings for breakfast/lunch, good food and good people.

+1 Great Food. Was just up there last week when I had eye day. (Could not see to go to work Day.)

If you are visiting Burnet, Park Road 4 along Inks Lake and to Longhorn Caverns is a pretty ride. The FM Roads around Sisterdale is also a good place to ride, most all of the paved backroads in that area are great scenery and nice roads.

In the past couple of years there has been a group of Trikers that have gathered in Kerrville in April for a great get together. Have not heard of any details on it yet, but when I do, will be sure to pass along in the event you are in the area and there might be the chance to say hello. Have made this ride a few times and it is always a great time, and hard to beat the Hill Country. Kerrville is a fun town with some good eats.

Start off Sunday, 4/13. Am I brave enough to tackle Washington DC on our trike? Maybe...
2014 National Cherry Blossom Festival
2014 Peak Bloom Period Prediction: April 8 – 12

Attachments

• Blossoms-at-Jefferson.jpg
    Blossoms-at-Jefferson.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 102
Start off Sunday, 4/13. Am I brave enough to tackle Washington DC on our trike? Maybe...
2014 National Cherry Blossom Festival
2014 Peak Bloom Period Prediction: April 8 – 12

Those cherry blossoms are beautiful ( love the picture ) but not as awesome as a field full of Bluebonnets!!!! Rumor has it the hills will be better than last year so hopefully you will get a eye full... I've seen several nice patches around San Angelo so that is a good sign the hill country will be even nicer.

Wish I could join you in Marble Falls for ice cream and PIE at the Blue Bonnet Café but that's still just a bit farther then I'm able to ride. Slow but sure I'm getting back in the saddle. Will be ready for Eureka Springs in June for sure... :xszpv: :xszpv:

If you make it into DC, please be sure to take plenty of pictures to post. After 36 years, that would be about as close as I would want to get to DC. Just be real careful and keep your eyes and head on a swivel as the layout of the roads is "different" (I thought that would be a nice word) and most everyone else in cages, trucks, planes, and assorted other forms of transportation will be looking at about anything BUT the roads or traffic.

Look forward to seeing you in Texas.ThumbUp

Wheels, Will get to Washington on Sunday, and weather should be gorgeous. Cannot pass up this opportunity. Hopefully, will get to take some nice pics. Looking forward to seeing you in Texas! ThumbUp

Have some friends that are at a mini rally (Kawasaki) in Fredericksburg, TX this week and they say there is hardly any bluebonnets there now. Some locals say not enough rain this year.

Bluebonnet season is just starting. Bluebonnet sightings are starting to come in. Sure there will be plenty to see into May. This pic taken at Chappell Hill on 4/5/14.

Attachments

• Chappell Hill 4_5_14.jpg
    Chappell Hill 4_5_14.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 182
Leo, don't worry about traffic on a trike. We have done the DC route several times while visiting my son in VA. The only problems we had was the stop & go traffic jams during rush hours. It looks like a slow moving parking lot.
There is still construction on the NJ Turnpike with new bridges being built, off ramps, and more lanes.
You will do fine going through. My advise is avoid the George Washington bridge, that is the pits! Way too old for the amount of traffic going through and you have to have six eyes to watch all the crazies driving on it. It may be a little longer, but I always took the Tapinzee Bridge to NJ Turnpike.
Also take 495 around DC, not as scenic, but you will avoid most of the traffic. Unless you want to head into DC to take photos of the cherry blossoms, or have they gone by?
Hate to say this, but keep an eye out for pot holes, some are as big as Cadillacs! LOL I hit a pot hole on the Jersy side and my brother-in-law said my trailer jumped a foot in the air, didn't feel it on the trike, but he said, WOW!
Good luck! You'll do fine!

Rosy

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back