Battery tender

Dumb question... On the 14 GT the plug is inside (behind) the left side cover. Have folks rerouted it somewhere (not long enough to go far) or are you all taking the side cover off everytime you hook up the tender?

Attached mine to the passengers grab handle with a plastic tie wrap.tender pigtail.jpg

I have them on all 3 of my bikes. They are plugged in when not being driven 24/7/365.
My dealer that I got my 2012 Trike from puts them in EVERY HARLEY they sell, automatically, ALONG WITH the RUN/STOP/TURN module if needed! A REAL NICE touch.
My lead comes out under side cover on right side and cable ties to the passenger foot bracket. nice, it doesn't just hang there and its anchored a bit when pulling them apart.

I also have my pigtail zip tied to the passenger handle as well as the pigtail for the air compressor I carry. My bike gets plugged in every time it's parked in it's spot in the garage.
No timers, no unplug it "once-in-a-while which IMHO, defeats the very purpose of using a battery maintainer!

I guess all you that have the plug come out the right side don't have heated clothes???

My Gerbing's connectors have always been on the left side of the jacket so it's more convienient to have the plug on the left side. If I had the BT on the right of the bike, I would have to climb over the wires every time I went into the garage.
So, it's like toilet paper = over or under. Right side or left side???? :D :D :D

I guess all you that have the plug come out the right side don't have heated clothes???

My Gerbing's connectors have always been on the left side of the jacket so it's more convienient to have the plug on the left side. If I had the BT on the right of the bike, I would have to climb over the wires every time I went into the garage.
So, it's like toilet paper = over or under. Right side or left side???? :D :D :D

And "toilet seat up or down" :D:D:D

My son took delivery of a 2014 TG. It has been on the tender (Battery Tender Jr.) for 14 hours, still not showing fully charged. How long should it take to top off the battery?

Depends on how low the battery is, the tender doesn't put out a whole lot of juice like a charger does. If he just took delivery he could have been fiddling with the stereo and other do dads in the garage without the bike running, so the battery could be pretty low.

Some tenders may never top off the battery completely if it is dead enough. There is a feed back system. It only charges when it gets a feed back of a certain voltage ( ie. 11.3 volt) and it shuts off when it sees a higher voltage of ( example only 12.4) if it is not doing that than it is a trickle charger and should not be attached 24/7.
I have mine on a timer so it won't evaporate all the water/ acid in the battery over 4 months. Bike is stored in a way I can't check water level. If you have a sealed battery ( I am switching to one this year all the other bikes have them already ) maybe not a problem. I even heard that one guy has a simple trickle charger hooked into his garage door opener light. His bike gets a 5 min zap every time he opens the door. Works for him.

I had a tender fall of of the seat of my bike and it hit the floor of my garage, After that it would never turn on to the charged [green] light it would always stay on the [charging] amber light. :gah:

I bought a batt. tender with Harleys name on it at the same place I bought my 2013 T/G, after three weeks of use I noticed that about half way on the elect. cord for about 2" the wires had shorted out and melted the installation and the bare wires were showing, even though it was still showing a green light, I took it back to the dealer, they said they had never seen one like it and gave me a new one which has been doing ok so far, but I will never trust it for a long period of time with out checking the cord every day or two.
So you guys in the frozen north, don't just plug up your tender and forget about it until spring, remember these things, like everything else now days are made in China to the lowest bidder :xszpv:.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back