Avon Trike Specific Front Tire

So, who has this tire for sale -now-. Looked at many sites and see the AV71 listed, but with my luck, they would not send the trike tire.

Got an email from J & P Cycles today telling me they have the tire in stock for $152. Free ground shipping... :xszpv::xszpv:

OK My Avon Trike Tire arrived today...:pepper::pepper::pepper:. Wow, GREAT Looking tire, completely new design and look from a standard Motorcycle tire, It looks really Heavy Duty. I have scheduled installation next Tuesday. Can't wait to feel the difference.:clapping::clapping::clapping::Coffee:

Worth every penny.

Got mine installed yesterday and you are right ....worth every penny!!!
I have ridden about 200 miles since I got it installed with Dyna beads and 41 PSI. I could tell a difference right away. Smoother ride, way better handling when pushing it through tight curves, no movement in handlebars on road snakes or ripples. It has a LOT more road contact than standard MC tire. It Will be interesting to see tire life but not a biggie for me. When this one wears out I will replace with another!!

Will it be worh every penny ?

Got mine installed yesterday and you are right ....worth every penny!!!
I have ridden about 200 miles since I got it installed with Dyna beads and 41 PSI. I could tell a difference right away. Smoother ride, way better handling when pushing it through tight curves, no movement in handlebars on road snakes or ripples. It has a LOT more road contact than standard MC tire. It Will be interesting to see tire life but not a biggie for me. When this one wears out I will replace with another!!

The tread depth is only 1/2 of the Bridgestone BT45 and the compound is softer too. If you get half the mileage, is it still worth the extra money ?

The tread depth is only 1/2 of the Bridgestone BT45 and the compound is softer too. If you get half the mileage, is it still worth the extra money ?

Right now it is!!! I have never run a BT45 so I really have no way to compare the 2 tires as for as ride and handling, or mileage. All I can compare to is the Dunlop stock GW tire that came on the Trike. There is a World of noticeable difference between the two. I have never had good results with stock dunlops, on my 2 wheelers I would pull them right away and run Metzlers , again night and day difference.

If the wear is a problem <12K, I will possibly try a BT45, but for now, I am VERY satisfied.:D

Well, technically the Cobra is a little over 60 percent of the BT45 tread depth, but due to the profile difference there should be less scrubbing of the crown in the turns, which should give longer overall tire life.

My personal experience on 2 wheels and trikes is scrub abrasion wears out a tire faster than other factors like tire pressure, design, or manufacturing compounds used.

Avon GW specific trike tire

Trike specific Avon front tire (AV71), on GL1800 >> what air pressure are you running and what results do you have? :Dorag:

I keep the tire pressure 41 pounds. I just finished a 6000 km ride .... Lots of twisties and warm weather. My trike (CSC conversion) handled extremely well ... No sign of tire cupping or other wear!

Last edited:
Right now it is!!! I have never run a BT45 so I really have no way to compare the 2 tires as for as ride and handling, or mileage. All I can compare to is the Dunlop stock GW tire that came on the Trike. There is a World of noticeable difference between the two. I have never had good results with stock dunlops, on my 2 wheelers I would pull them right away and run Metzlers , again night and day difference.

If the wear is a problem <12K, I will possibly try a BT45, but for now, I am VERY satisfied.:D

looking at buying the Avon, but i have 20k on a BT45 and really like the tire,, kinda disappointing in the dept of the tread as im hearing on the forum

looking at buying the Avon, but i have 20k on a BT45 and really like the tire,, kinda disappointing in the dept of the tread as im hearing on the forum

I am not sure why you're disappointed with tread depth. Do you not think it will disperse water adequately as this is the basic reason to have a tread pattern instead of slicks?

If you make the tread depth too deep the tread will "squirm" under load. That on a trike front is not what we need. We need a tire that will hold true during side loading when going through turns, and stability at speed passing over road irregularities.

I think you could be missing out on what I consider a major improvement in trike front tires.

First of all, I would like to thank all of the members for the information they have provided about Avon's Trike Tire. Without this forum I would not have known it was available.
I replaced my Bridgestone BT 45 with Avon's Cobra Trike Tire. I didn't have any issues with the BT45 but is was due for replacement and I wanted to try Avon's Cobra Trike Tire after the many positive reviews on this forum.
I find the difference unbelievable. It is like my trike has super power steering and the ride in noticeably much smoother. It is hard to believe the difference a tire can make.
These observations are after approximately 600 miles riding on both highway and city streets.
Tire pressure is currently set at 42lbs.
2005 Goldwing, 2012 Motor Trike Adventure IRS, 4.5 degree Rake.
The tire was purchased from Canada Motorcycle (https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/avon-av71-cobra-front-tire.html) for $198.96 Cdn which equals $150.00 US with today exchange rate. Shipping was included and I received the tire 2 days after ordering it.

Ride Safe

UpDate on Avon Trike Specific Tire

As you can see Avon has One Upped the competition yet again by adding Free Road Hazard and 15,000 mile Warranty Coverage.

For Road Hazard:
http://www.avonmoto.com/warranty/road-hazard-warranty Click Below

For Mileage : http://www.avonmoto.com/warranty/mileage-warranty Click Below

Cobra Trike

Style and performance for cruisers, customs and tourers

dual_warranty.png

• Road Hazard Warranty included
  • 15,000 Mile Warranty included
  • Specifically designed for the GL1800 front trike
  • Flatter profile to resist the scrubbing off effect normally seen on front tires
  • Bigger blocks of rubber to resist irregular wear
  • Sidewall has “Trike” emblazoned on it to differentiate from regular motorcycle tires
  • Special construction to deal with heavy loads

Cobra Trike Front
Material #AV ModelTire SizeService IndexRec RimRim Min-MaxOW mmOW InchesOD mmOD InchesDepth mmRevs per kmRevs per MileShop Now!
90000020646AV71130/70R1863VMT3.503.50 - 4.001275.0064825.54.5505813

<tbody>
</tbody>

It's okay, Teal. You like the BT45, so stick with the Bridgestone.
Most folks here just try stuff, observe what happens, and report the results.

In a few years, you should be reading posts with actual mileage and riding experience. No harm in waiting to see the results.

Trike tire

Well I've been having a wabble in the front end ,so I started looking at my front tire a Michelin Active Pilot mount backwards. I did this about a 12-14 k ago after reading on here how good it was. After I was looking I noticed that the tire was starting to show deep cracks in the rain groves,and after looking on a thread here I saw where parts of the tire tore with triangular pieces on the tire. So I looked at the Cobra Trike Tire, bought one from JP Cycles ,had it mounted today went for a short ride with my wife and she even said it was smother and quite. Well I was really impressed with the way it handled , turning the corners was a breeze,it didn't bother my chest much at all ( I've been split open for heart surgery, never been right since ). Anyway tomorrow I'll be putting about 200 to 300 miles and do some twisties here in central Indiana down to the Ohio River. I'm sure it will be a smooth ride and don't think I'll be as sore in the chest as I normally am. I hope I'll be able to get 18 to 20 k on it ,and even if I get 12k I'll buy this again till something else comes along that has a great report as this one. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have put about 700 miles on the AV 71 tire since mounting it on my 07 Goldwing Trike with Champion kit. So far, I love it! I didn't have anything to compare it to as I put it on when I had the bike converted to a Trike. I run 41 psi in the tire and that seems to do just fine. I do live in the Sierra Nevada foothills in Calif. so I ride a lot of twisty roads quite often. :pepper:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back