Auxiliary gas tank

The pump in the auxiliary gas tank only pumps for a few minutes and then shuts off. After 5-10 minutes it again will pump but only for a short time. I keep only 3 gallons in the auxiliary tank for emergencies only and tried to transfer it today. No way will it pump what is in the tank. Gauge on "E" but no red light yet. Do I have to wait until the red light comes on? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks,

Ken

The pump in the auxiliary gas tank only pumps for a few minutes and then shuts off. After 5-10 minutes it again will pump but only for a short time. I keep only 3 gallons in the auxiliary tank for emergencies only and tried to transfer it today. No way will it pump what is in the tank. Gauge on "E" but no red light yet. Do I have to wait until the red light comes on? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks,

Ken

Please disregard this post as I have found the problem. I disconnected the auxiliary fuel pump and found that the auxiliary gas tank is partially stopped up thereby allowing only a trickle of gas to drain out to the fuel pump. Pump would shut off when it had no gas in the line. I shot compressed air up the drain line into the tank and the gas drained as it should — moments later it was again stopped up. Several attempts later same result. Tried compressed air into the filler tube but still could not blow the obstruction out.

My only recourse now seems to be the removal of the tank - ugh!! I If I ever get it figured out, I’ll post the results. Thanks for looking.

You might try pumping out all the fuel left in the tank while using air pressure to force the plug into the tank body.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have now used compressed air to removed all of the gas from the tank. Mike at Roadsmith suggested that I remove the outlet connection at the tank to possibly find the obstruction. However, when I attempted to unscrew the connector, it would twist but not come out. I am afraid that it may now be stripped. To remove the tank, I have to remove the rear trunk and then remove the entire body to get to the tank. Not a pleasant thought. 😟

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back