2017 clutch differences?

MB1953

450+ Posts
May 23, 2014
Peru, IN USA
OK, so I have close to 3000 miles on my new '17 TG, and I am loving every minute! I have come to accept and appreciate the differences between the '17 and the '14 that I put 55K miles on; more power, cooler, smoother and the list goes on. One difference that I am still not sure about is the clutch. While it is about as smooth as the '14, there is a noticeable increase in in lever effort, which is not entirely bad, but holding it in traffic can get tiring pretty quickly. Might have to look into different levers. The other thing I notice is that the discs seem to have substantially more stick when cold; if you start in gear holding the clutch in when cold, you can really feel the drag compared to a neutral start. I am running synth all around, and this is just something I didn't notice with the '14. Anyone else have any input into this?

YUp, The M8 hydraulic actuator has been improved, I do not like it, the friction zone is non adjustable. The clutch has 1 less plate and idle is too low iMO, I am working on a mod right now to make the clutch adjustable

It may just be me but I really can't tell the difference in my 16 triglide to my 2002 road king or my 1997 softail, I do know the softail is a little harder to pull clutch in compared to the other 2. I know sitting at a stop light I can't wait until the green light comes on so I can go. Now I have carpal tunnel in my left so that could be part of my problem, going down the highway I know I drive with my right hand on handlebar and left in my lap, sometimes I will switch it up to give the right hand a break, been doing this for 10 years, and before you say it is unsafe, I agree but I'm careful and this helps me and I'm watching the road ahead, I also use both hands also;)

All for now Trampas

I agree over all on your opinion of the 2017 model Tri Glide verses our 2015. Try the HD Formula Plus in the primary. In my opinion it is a much better product for primary use and compensater lubrication than any of the synthetics. The Formula Plus is also a better tranny fluid by far than Syn 3 (Harley got the Formula Plus product right). On that note I run the Spectro 6 speed specific 75/140 syn tranny fluid recommended by Baker. Best 6 speed tranny fluid I have used to date (pricey product) but is so smooth in our 2017 Tri Glide.

Ride Safe All,
Bill G

Last edited:
All this makes me wonder just how hard it will be for someone with arthritis to pull it back ? If the MoCo doesn't respond with a fix, it could be a deal killer for me in a few years should I decide to trade in the '16. :AGGHH:

All this makes me wonder just how hard it will be for someone with arthritis to pull it back ? If the MoCo doesn't respond with a fix, it could be a deal killer for me in a few years should I decide to trade in the '16. :AGGHH:

Mike my 2017 clutch is really no harder to pull than my 2015 was it just a little diffrent release point and feel to it. If your arthritis is getting that bad :AGGHH: our 2016 will become an issue for you as well.

Ride Safe All, :)
Bill G

Have no idea if this will help, BUT

When we bought the '09 for my wife she had a really hard time with the clutch. Just coming off 6 months of Chemo her hands lost a lot of grip. We changed the clutch spring in her Tri with one for an 08 Deluxe. The spring was much easier for the 96 inch engine than the 103. I know that the '09 is mechanical and the new ones are hydro, but just thought this might help. She has no problem with the '11 she had, or the '14 she has now.

Good Luck

Mike my 2017 clutch is really no harder to pull than my 2015 was it just a little diffrent release point and feel to it. If your arthritis is getting that bad :AGGHH: our 2016 will become an issue for you as well.

Ride Safe All, :)
Bill G

My '16 presents no issue for me. One of the reasons I haven't bothered to spend the money on the modified one now on the market from Softbrake.

I have been test riding the 17 tri and find the clutch also hard to pull and the release is way out, If I buy one I will need to address this. I have a VPC on my 2011 Limited makes the clutch an easy pull. May use that, and have a new clutch lever made to release closer to the bars.

hogleverage.com makes replacement clutch and brake levers which might assist you.

I agree with the switch to H-D Formula+ for the primary. I change it every engine oil change.

At long stops my trike is in neutral. :D

Bob :D

It is harder to pull in than my '16. I can understand why I've seen so many wish for an adjuster such as we had on the cable style clutch. It is evident that many are coming off the older twin cams vs an early MY Rushmore.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back