2 up on a Free Wheeler?

We'll my wife has rode on the back for 800 of 1200 miles ad she loves it. Didn't like it with the stock seat got the sundowner and a backrest and she just sits back and enjoys it.

I had my Dyna for 5 years and she might have rode it for 200 mi she REALLY likes the Freewheeler and I like having her on the back.

Hoping she'll get a license and ride it by herself - I think she can do it.

Thanks. That is great news. Over the years my wife has ridden over 100,000 miles with me but the last 2 years probably only 200. I hope she will get back on now that I have the Freewheeler.

Sunman

Had to do it the other day. Christmas day, my wife Deb and I took our trikes out for a short ride. Stopped at my sister's house. Visited for a while, my XXX refused to start (original battery). Only solution....ride tandem on the Freewheeler. Told Deb that she could see how the rear seat rode. "Nope", she said. "I'm up front; you ride on that little seat area."

Five miles was about all I could stand. Most uncomfortable and least secure feeling I have ever had on a bike. Handholds should be called "death-grips"!

If you're gonna ride 2 up, betcha you are gonna be looking for a new seat, WITH backrest.
debbies new bike.JPG

Had to do it the other day. Christmas day, my wife Deb and I took our trikes out for a short ride. Stopped at my sister's house. Visited for a while, my XXX refused to start (original battery). Only solution....ride tandem on the Freewheeler. Told Deb that she could see how the rear seat rode. "Nope", she said. "I'm up front; you ride on that little seat area."

Five miles was about all I could stand. Most uncomfortable and least secure feeling I have ever had on a bike. Handholds should be called "death-grips"!

If you're gonna ride 2 up, betcha you are gonna be looking for a new seat, WITH backrest.
View attachment 24449

Way to go Deb. When I ride with my wife on her trike I ride in back also, but I have no problem with the holding on part. I have long arms.

I ride double up with the girlfriend frequently. I upgraded to a sundowner seat for her added comfort, and I have a heated pad to make it even better for her. I rigged up heated gear plugs for each of us, and we cruise around most comfortably (even in single digit weather). I attached a pic, she was sitting on the back waiting for me to get back out from a quick stop at the store...
IMG_8822.JPG

Should have mentioned, the dealer gave me the sissy bar when I bought the trike. It installs and removes very easily and takes up very little space in the trunk....where it resides most of the time. When we go on longer rides I use it to 'bungee' luggage, otherwise it lays down in the trunk I doubt if wife would be happy on the back without it, and I prefer the 'naked look without it.

I ride double up with the girlfriend frequently. I upgraded to a sundowner seat for her added comfort, and I have a heated pad to make it even better for her. I rigged up heated gear plugs for each of us, and we cruise around most comfortably (even in single digit weather). I attached a pic, she was sitting on the back waiting for me to get back out from a quick stop at the store...
View attachment 25178

Lived and worked in Anchorage, Kenai and Homer in the late 1970s. It was a great place and I would love to go back some day for a visit. Now that I am retired I like living in Texas where I can ride year around but would love to have my Freewheeler up there for a summer to scoot around on. Enjoy!

Sunman

I am glad you compare dyna to freewheeler

Being one of the first 'freewheelers on the board I have no problems with the seat on my 'Free. They gave me the sissy bar when I bought mine. Wife rides her own Tri-Glide, but when we took her trike in for service she didn't have any problem riding on the back of my Free. The entire chassis and running gear is the same as a Tri. The 3" shorter is mostly trunk as far as I can see. As I've said before, my butt must be shaped the same as the guy that designs Harley seats because I find it very comfortable. Gotta agree with Cavie, design and style scream Bar Hopper. The Free is the Dyna of trikes.

That actually makes me happy I rode my dyna , from Tremonton, UT. to Portland, OR in one day. I rode it from Montana to CO , UT, ID, WY, SD etc. and had a blast.

Bar hopper?? My dyna never was and I have far more room on the trike. My girlfriend is only 5ft. 1in. so she should fit on the back just fine. I was broken hearted when I had to get rid of my dyna due to a permanent hip injury.

I have toured on every bike I have ever owned . I can not wait to get on the freewheeler and point the front wheel towards the horizon. Just because its not a bagger with a fairing type of trike does not mean you cant tour on it. When I tour I like fast and nimble. It is going to be a blast. I can't wait . I am just glad I can still ride .

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 25696View attachment 25697
Here's a couple shots of us, 2 up, at the Fur Rondy Parade this last Saturday... We love getting out on the FLRT!
Wonderful pictures!! I hope to be doing this with my sweetie soon!!

Ready to trade the free for the tri.....unless I can find a better seat/backrest

I see this tread hasn't been active but I'm hoping someone sees this post and can advise..I'm new to this forum...really new to bikes period! We'd never ridden a bike until 8 months ago - stopped in a dealership and owned a free wheeler 2 days later - I'm the passenger so I didn't even try it out since he still needed a permit and license to be able to have me hop on the back. Now after 8 months I'm still having trouble feeling comfy on the back of the free wheeler. We put the sundowner and backrest on right away but unless I can find something else I'm afraid we're going to have to go to the tri glide. He loves the free...but I'm not loving the slipping and sliding on the seat with not much to hang on to.... Does anyone have a link for a better backrest that would be better than what we've got? Thanks!

All I can offer is to test drive/ride everything possible before making any decision. Like everything else it is a personal decision.

I see this tread hasn't been active but I'm hoping someone sees this post and can advise..I'm new to this forum...really new to bikes period! We'd never ridden a bike until 8 months ago - stopped in a dealership and owned a free wheeler 2 days later - I'm the passenger so I didn't even try it out since he still needed a permit and license to be able to have me hop on the back. Now after 8 months I'm still having trouble feeling comfy on the back of the free wheeler. We put the sundowner and backrest on right away but unless I can find something else I'm afraid we're going to have to go to the tri glide. He loves the free...but I'm not loving the slipping and sliding on the seat with not much to hang on to.... Does anyone have a link for a better backrest that would be better than what we've got? Thanks!

Welcome to TT!

My wife says that she just uses her feet to stay put. Going left she puts force on her right foot. Uses the handles too at times.

My wife rides on the back with the sissy bar and pad that I bought when I first got the Free. She loves it and hasn't complained so far. I bought the Sundowner at time of purchase of the Free. I have had multiple back surgeries with no relief but I find the Free more comfortable than my BMW with the sport seats and suspension. My wife tried riding without the grab rails and thats one thing she did not like. Im currently looking for something nicer looking and more comfortable for her to grab. I do like having her hugging me but gets a bit hot in Sunny San Diego. Hope this helps some and if your ever out West lets ride.....

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back