1st impressions: 1999 Valkyrie Trike with motortrike conversion

mr.precision

20+ Posts
May 3, 2017
Fountain Hills, Arizona USA
1st impressions: 1999 Valkyrie Trike with motortrike conversion

Long time Harley rider.... sold my early tri-glide as it was so under-powered, uncomfortable and HOT. Recently bought a 1999 Valkyrie Trike from a local guy. 46K miles, pretty good shape, and it didn't cost stupid money.

Received some excellent guidance from 3W Lonerider on this site (thanks!) and have been chipping away at, what I perceive to be, fixable problems.

First of - went over every square inch and found numerous loose bolts, nuts, clamps, chrome covers, etc. Got rid of all the annoying squeaks except one. A really annoying "chirp" coming from the undercarriage. Today got the wheels off, jacked it up in the air and checked everything. Heim joints all looked good to my eyes, but were dry. The arm across the top parallel to the rear end had 2 heim joints BONE dry and loose. I took the arm out (it's easy) lubed everything with assembly lube (yeah I know MT says to use dry silicone), tightened everything back up... and WOW what a difference. No squeaks, no rattles, and it seems like the rear suspension is tighter.

Did a 200 mile solo trip and am pretty pleased with my 9K purchase. Has a Corbin seat, EZ steer conversion, loads of Kuryakyn stuff, seems pretty comfy. Kinda loud - I think the previous owner may have knocked the baffles out of the mufflers. Earplugs can fix that. Tracks straight, handles well, and seems to have a sweet spot at 72 MPH.

Next time out, when the weather cools a bit...get the wife on the back and see how she likes it.

Need to replace the timing belt and a few other things. Overall, pretty happy with the bike. And I don't hurt any more like I used to with some previous rides. At the age of 70, that is a true blessing.

Mike

Congratulations! Sounds like you did very well with your new bike. If you aren't already, you should get acquainted with D&D Custom Motorcycles in Tempe. They are, in my opinion, one of the very best trike and servicing shops in Arizona. Cooler weather is coming this week! YEA..... Jim

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back