1976 Trike Shop Cruiser

KeithK

Gold Member
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2019
South Elgin, IL USA
Gang, the reason I join these forums is the vast knowledge base. Here is my situation. If you saw my last post I walked away from the bike I REALLY wanted truthfully for the nostalgia. I went ahead and purchased the 2002, but I still want the '72, it is a head turner. Here is the situation. I still believe it is a linkage issue. Seller says shifter very loose sloppy and almost impossible to get into gear. Please give me your opinions. The price is 4K, with 4Kmiles. If this helps in advice.

Attachments

• Trike.jpg
    Trike.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 124
Sloppy shifter

Is there a way you can verify the shifter issue? If what you suspect is true that problem can be resolved with a Brandwood cable shifter. I had one on a mid-engine sandrail and it was amazing how tight the shifting was after I installed it. $4K seems high though considering age and non-drivability.

Good luck with your decision.

Kurt

Dilema

Yep, my issue is 350 miles away. I believe very honest seller. I did'nt think 4k was out of line, glad you replied. Thank you.

MR TRIKE

Gang, the reason I join these forums is the vast knowledge base. Here is my situation. If you saw my last post I walked away from the bike I REALLY wanted truthfully for the nostalgia. I went ahead and purchased the 2002, but I still want the '72, it is a head turner. Here is the situation. I still believe it is a linkage issue. Seller says shifter very loose sloppy and almost impossible to get into gear. Please give me your opinions. The price is 4K, with 4Kmiles. If this helps in advice.

Hello- There are several things to check out to determine why your shifter is sloppy. 1. check all 3 rubber transaxle mounts, pry the motor and trany with a pry bar to check. 2. plastic bushing on shifter box may be worn or gone. 3. Shifter plate at base of shifter out of ajustment. 4. Maybe all of the above. When driver does a "wheelie" and the front end slams hard on ground, that can break mounts. When set up right, there should be no play in shifter. Keep-On-Triken Dick

Transmission

Not being super mechanic, my worry is trans issue. I can live with small repairs not major trans. Any other opinions on fair price?

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back