09 Harley Trike Reverse Blowing 15A Fuse

Aug 13, 2018
Pulaski
Hey guys, My neighbors Trike is blowing a 15A fuse. I have checked the circuit breaker under the rear seat. It wasn't tripped, but reset it any way. What happens is when you press the reverse button, you get the led to light up on the handle bar, and as soon as you press the bottom reverse button to back up it blows a 15 amp fuse. The fuse that blows controls the signal lights, horn and maybe brake lights. I need to double check about the brake lights.

I did take the front headlight fairing off and found a few wires that had rubbed through to copper around the radio, but it didn't solve the problem.

Also I have been reading about the parking brake and I don't think his is hook up. I put the bike in neutral and I can still roll it with the parking brake in the down position, so this could be an issue.

When I read the ohms on the load side of the fuse it reads around 2.5 ohms to ground, and then when I press the reverse button it goes to zero. I"m thinking the 2.5 ohms is filaments for the bulbs.

Everything will work on that circuit once you replace the 15A fuse as long as you don't put the bike into reverse.

Anyway any pointers on where to start or any wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated. I'm not that familiar with Trikes. Thanks for the help. Russ

Russell Welcome to Trike -Talk.......Wish i could help you, All i can think of is there might be more wires that are warn to copper..As far as the parking brake they are notorious for going completely out of adjustment....And not holding ....

Welcome to Trike Talk

Has the owner had any work done recently like handle bars or switches?

I guess I do not understand the problem, The Reverse should be a separate circuit with a breaker? 15 amp fuse should be brake lights, or tail light circuit?

Russell Welcome to Trike -Talk.......Wish i could help you, All i can think of is there might be more wires that are warn to copper..As far as the parking brake they are notorious for going completely out of adjustment....And not holding ....

Welcome to Trike Talk

Has the owner had any work done recently like handle bars or switches?I guess I do not understand the problem, The Reverse should be a separate circuit with a breaker? 15 amp fuse should be brake lights, or tail light circuit?

Thanks Guys. Rhino, The parking brake probably is an adjustment, I will double check, I will also double check the wires again.

Jack, I was thinking the reverse should be its own circuit also. He has had this bike for only a few months. No handle bar work that I know of. Maybe the two circuits are crossed. I'm back to work tomorrow, so I will not get a chance to look at it again til end of the week.

Thanks,

Russ

I think there is a separate reset able circuit breaker for the reverse under the seat, it should be near the battery with a red reset lever

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back