Why??

May 28, 2023
X
Why, when you have your oil change done at the dealer or some jobber they insist on cranking on the oil filter so tight you need a jackhammer to get it off when you decide to do your own oil change?

I thought it was time to change my oil on my Wing but I can’t budge the filter. I have a plethora of tools yet nothing I have will budge the bloody thing. I will eventually have to destroy it to remove it. Why do people think they need to crank it on so tight? :mad:

Why, when you have your oil change done at the dealer or some jobber they insist on cranking on the oil filter so tight you need a jackhammer to get it off when you decide to do your own oil change?

I thought it was time to change my oil on my Wing but I can’t budge the filter. I have a plethora of tools yet nothing I have will budge the bloody thing. I will eventually have to destroy it to remove it. Why do people think they need to crank it on so tight? :mad:

Being the devils advocate, Better tight, then falling off as you ride out the door..That said I changed my oil….And more than I would like to admit…I had to use a screwdriver though the filter to remove it….

Being the devils advocate, Better tight, then falling off as you ride out the door..That said I changed my oil….And more than I would like to admit…I had to use a screwdriver though the filter to remove it….

you just gave me a great idea… thank you.

This is why I change ALL my fluids myself and document it every time

Most dealers have an oil change guy that is usually under paid and uses a wrench to tighten the filters

Most dealers have an oil change guy that is usually under paid and uses a wrench to tighten the filters

You’re 100% right Jack… And I know it’s just a hand tighten only thing but whenever I change my oil, I just don’t feel right. I gotta give it another crank with the wrench.!

You’re 100% right Jack… And I know it’s just a hand tighten only thing but whenever I change my oil, I just don’t feel right. I gotta give it another crank with the wrench.!

I do 1/4 turn past hand tight with a cup wrench, never fails me

I had a 97 Electra Glide I took in for the 1K service when new, the filter was so damn tight by them, when I next changed the oil the filter stand pipe unscrewed for the filter adapter,

That was the one and only time I had a dealer service my bikes except for recalls

Being the devils advocate again, Think of this scenario the underpaid guy starts with hand tightening all the filters , And then one time he gets a leaker the boss goes off on him so from then on in it’s gonna be wench tight….

I do 1/4 turn past hand tight with a cup wrench, never fails me

I had a 97 Electra Glide I took in for the 1K service when new, the filter was so damn tight by them, when I next changed the oil the filter stand pipe unscrewed for the filter adapter, That was the one and only time I had a dealer service my bikes except for recalls

I have one of those blasted cup wrenches and it never works. Slips all the time. My band wrench also slips. I also have filter pliers they usually work but not this time. Screw driver it is.

I have one of those blasted cup wrenches and it never works. Slips all the time. My band wrench also slips. I also have filter pliers they usually work but not this time. Screw driver it is.

This works good, as you turn the wrench the wrench force multiplies

25981259_lis_63600_pri_larg.jpg

This works good, as you turn the wrench the wrench force multiplies

25981259_lis_63600_pri_larg.jpg

I have similar one of those for decades,. It has mechanical one way jaws/cams that really bites into the filter I think I ordered it back in the 60s from JC Whitney.. I use it on stubborn filters ...but back then the standard procedure was is the use the same filter for two changes so sometimes that would destroy the filter..

Last edited:
Don't forget to clean the oil filter base's face and apply a coat of oil on the rubber oil filter gasket. Some places don't do either and some clean the base but don't put any oil on the rubber gasket. That can make it darn hard to take off also.

This works good but spendy.

[FONT=&quot]
71Ry-LIJxNS._AC_SY355_.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][h=3]Amazon.com: Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota Camry, Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, RAV4 and More - 64mm 14 Flute Precision CNC Machined Aluminum Oil Filter Removal Tool : Automotive[/h]Buy Motivx Tools Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota Camry, Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, RAV4 and More - 64mm 14 Flute Precision CNC Machined Aluminum Oil Filter Removal Tool: Oil Filter Wrenches - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

www.amazon.com

[/FONT]

That screwdriver procedure has been used by many. Less messy when a hole is punctured at the low point of the filter to drain it first. Good luck..... Jim

But be careful ... a guy with a 6th gen called. He did that trick, but drove the screw driver thru his engine case.

Fortunanly for him, he had a great plan to fix his major **ck-up. His plan was to replace the oil filter, and use epoxy to fix the hole. Then immediatly sell his Wing, and buy another one that did not have a hole in its engine case, and metal chips inside the engine.

I have similar one of those for decades,. It has mechanical one way jaws/cams that really bites into the filter I think I ordered it back in the 60s from JC Whitney.. I use it on stubborn filters ...but back then the standard procedure was is the use the same filter for two changes so sometimes that would destroy the filter..

Found one… $17.. and reversible. Open the jaws with your fingers and turn the cam. Cool. Thanks guys.

A big reason for stuck oil filters is failure to lube the gasket, this will make it seem as if the filter is welded onto the adapter.

As long as the filter is lubed you can tighten the filter with a wrench at least 2/3 turn after contact without an issue.

Everything I own has a filter in a hard to reach place, no way to get it tight enough without a wrench.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back