What Type and Weight of Oil?

After reading all these posts I decided today was the day to go out to the garage, turn on the heater, take the trike for a 15 mile ride to warm up the oil, and change it. First oil change since I had the conversion kit installed. Real difference experience; that 6 degree rake lowers the bike more than I realized. Going to have to get a lower drain pan. It surprising how just dropping that front end a little bit effects the ability to maneuver with tools. Next time I think I'll jack it up a little until I get the drain plug and old filter off. I used to change oil every 3500 or so, but the more I read I'm going to start waiting until at least 5000 miles before I consider it. I've always used Castrol 10-40 on all my Wings. When I saw it on sale at my local supermarket for $2.00 a quart I bought every one I could lay my hands on. It might by only 45 degrees here this afternoon, but the sun is out so I guess I better break in the new oil some.

I just read a piece in another web site which says that if you run you bike/trike for lond distances, your oil will last a lot longer. The article said the oil is not stressed. But if you do a lot of stop and go's, then change the oil earlier.
This person sent his synthetic oil for testing at 7500 miles when he did long trips and the testing company came back and told him the oil could go another 7500 miles.
Like I said, I will look at my oil and see what it looks like and how much I have used since I last changed it. I will report on what I find.
You are correct in changing oil with a rake. I drive mine up on 2 X 6 and this way the pan will fit under the belly!

Regards,

Rosy
From NH

With synthetic oil you are able to go 2,3, and 4 or more normal oil change intervals as long as you change filters. The key is filters. The oil will lube better and longer than any petroleum based oil. I have heard of other guy's going an extraordinary amount of miles without an oil change, but that's only when they have additional filtration systems on their motor. If you feel uncomfortable with that, send your oil in for an analysis. Us motorcyclist's really don't have the room for the additional system add on's, so we make due with changing the filter more often and adding a quart of oil.
This is where you save money, by going longer in between oil changes. I feel you old schoolers cringing already..

Let them cringe, us old Jarheads know what's what. :)
A few years back there was an article in the Amsoil newsletter about a trucker that went (I think it was) 100,000 miles on the same oil. He had a regular oil filter and a couple prefilters on his rig. He said an oil change for him was in the hundreds of dollars. So extending the interval saved him a lot of money.

Yes, long highway miles are a lot better then short stop and go miles. Stop and go is a lot harder on you oil and fuel milage. Your oil has to get warm enough to burn off any water or other contaminantes or otherwise you will form sludge in the engine. That ain't good.

Changing your oil is probably the best thing you can do for your engine.ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back