What are the advantages to the different conversion kits for a Honda 1800 GW?

Jun 10, 2010
Fort Myers, FL
What are the advantages to the different conversion kits for a Honda 1800 GW?

Thinking of getting a Honda 1800 GW trike. I would like information about the different conversions, their advantages and any disadvantages.

Thanks,

Lexi

Thinking of getting a Honda 1800 GW trike. I would like information about the different conversions, their advantages and any disadvantages.

Thanks,

Lexi

OH BOY, did you ever open a bucket of worms. That is like asking the advantage of one auto over another. You are going to get a load of opinions and I could offer up a ton but will try my best not to.

Basically GL1800 conversions are very similar. They are divided into front or rear conversion, Independent Rear Suspension or Solid Axle categories. From there options and design take over. Some are longer wheel base front to rear. Some are wider side to side wheel base and some are both. A few manufactures off set the differential thus allowing for true in-line drive shafts. Those that do not will always have a bit of eccentric drive shaft rotation and that usually results in a some (usually very minor) drive shaft generated vibration. Then you get into suspension design. Everyone does it different. The final category is paint and options and that list is as long as your arm.

Which conversion is right for you? Only you can make that choice. I suggest you do a LOT of research on line. Every manufacture has a web site. Once you have narrowed the field to a few then RIDE. Yes, every one of them and if possible in more than one configuration. If they have adjustable suspension (some do - some do not), play with that some. Now you probably can narrow the search to a couple models/manufactures. Finding the perfect installer, dealer, and trike is a long and sometime frustrating process. Some people luck out and just know on the first one they ride. You will know in your gut when that happens.

Good luck on your journey!! :xszpv::xszpv:

OH BOY, did you ever open a bucket of worms. That is like asking the advantage of one auto over another. You are going to get a load of opinions and I could offer up a ton but will try my best not to.

Basically GL1800 conversions are very similar. They are divided into front or rear conversion, Independent Rear Suspension or Solid Axle categories. From there options and design take over. Some are longer wheel base front to rear. Some are wider side to side wheel base and some are both. A few manufactures off set the differential thus allowing for true in-line drive shafts. Those that do not will always have a bit of eccentric drive shaft rotation and that usually results in a some (usually very minor) drive shaft generated vibration. Then you get into suspension design. Everyone does it different. The final category is paint and options and that list is as long as your arm.

Which conversion is right for you? Only you can make that choice. I suggest you do a LOT of research on line. Every manufacture has a web site. Once you have narrowed the field to a few then RIDE. Yes, every one of them and if possible in more than one configuration. If they have adjustable suspension (some do - some do not), play with that some. Now you probably can narrow the search to a couple models/manufactures. Finding the perfect installer, dealer, and trike is a long and sometime frustrating process. Some people luck out and just know on the first one they ride. You will know in your gut when that happens.

Good luck on your journey!! :xszpv::xszpv:

Excellent advice. Let me add a couple of things. Are you looking at used or new? If new, learn about the installer because they are key to your happiness. A bad installer can screw up a great trike.

Two, I see you live in Florida. Are you planning to travel a lot or primarily ride locally? That could influence which conversion bests suits you. Like a car, longer and wider generally produce a better ride. Conversely, shorter wheelbases corner better in the twisties and, IMO, give up a little on the ride comfort.

All of the major trike manufacturers build good equipment. So it really comes down to what suits you best. Good luck - it can be a daunting task.

Last word - as previously stated, ride as many different brands as you can before deciding.

I have a couple things to add.

1. Ride several of the different brands. If you have a co-rider bring her along. If she is happy, you'll be happy. The solid and and independant axels do ride differently. Also, the longer wheelbase trikes ride smoother.

2. Talk to owners. You'll have to sift through the BS but most will be honest about the + or - about their trikes. One thing I learned from a trike owner was the lower trunk door that I thought would be great actually sucked. The door would pop out and UP instead of hinged at the bottom like the others. He said after a long ride, he'd open the trunk and stuff would fall out onto the ground. It was also hard to see into the trunk...

3. Decide what options you want. Some trikes come standard with a hand brake some do not. Some have running boards you can put weight on some do not.

4. Our Roadsmith has more ground clearance than my friends Hannigan. So what? Try going over a speed bump or into a parking lot that is uphill. My buddy's Hannigan scrapes the trailer hitch EVERY time. My Roadsmith does not.

5. Warranty. Some are better than others.

6. Location of installer / Reputation of installer. How far from home is your installer. You'll be going back there for warranty work and maybe service. Talk to others about their installer. Has he done more that a couple trike conversions a year.?

7. Availability of parts. Are the rear brake pads from a rare 1956 Ferrari or a common vehicle? Makes a big difference.

8. How does it look to you? Do you like the design and looks?

9. Time to convert. How long does your installer take to make the conversion? Is it a week, two weeks or a couple days?

10. And again, does you co-rider like it....

You can get all the information you need to make a decision. Go to the sites of the top Trike Kits. All will have detailed info on the rear ends. And I am sure there are more and some are sponsors here. But these are the main ones in my area. One of the main things I wanted was Independent Rear Air Ride Suspension. I wanted it built by someone that builds tons of them every year. Don't want a builder with very little to no experience.

Roadsmith
Motor Trke
Hannigan
CSC

Thanks,

Lexi
I selected the Road Smith kit due to the thickness of the kit frame & the fact that parts if needed can be brought at any NAPA store, and the fact that this kit will bolt to the Honda frame without drilling new holes (as some other kits will not)..sad to say the only reason I triked my 2008 level 3 was in hopes my wife would ride it like she did on the two wheeler...but that didn't happen, so I now have it for sale..hope you find a trike that will work for you.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back