TG Water leak in trunk

TFNC

1+ Posts
Apr 7, 2024
NC
Hello all, I’ve had my 2024 Tri Glide Ultra for almost a month now I had to use the trunk for the first time and when I opened it up it had white mold spots all over the bottom. Clearly I have a leak, When I got home I washed the bike and when I was done I opened the trunk and it had a small puddle in it. Looks like water is getting in from the bolts on top if the trunk that are used to attach the tour pack. I’m going to have the dealer fix the leak and replace all the trunk lining inside. Anyone else experience this issue? Thanks all and be safe out there, Tom

Welcome Tom,
The Tri Glide trunk leak seems to have been an ongoing issue for years now, so you aren't the only one who has experianced this. On the newer, warrantied trikes like yours, owners wind up back at the selling dealer, get it fixed and we dont hear back with what the solution was.

It is likely either a trunk striker miss-adjustment leaving just enough gap to allow water entry around the trunk lid seal, or as you mentioned, improper sealing of the tourpac mounting bolt holes. Maybe someone else will chime in that has had this issue, if not, let us know what your dealer does to correct it.

After getting back from a great trip to Ruidoso, I washed my bike and found the trunk was leaking water.

Checked posts on this forum, then did the following. Placed newspaper on the floor and behind the door to find out where the leak was coming from. Found it was coming from the door and not the tourpak screws.

My door gasket was slightly damaged in places when I removed my painter's tape he used to protect the gasket from the silver paint.

But I could also see that the rim on the door was not fully contacting the gasket all the way around.

I added the weatherseal rubber foam shown (bought at Home Depot) to the top facing of the gasket. That did the trick and it stopped leaking.

Now I don't know how long this weatherseal will last, but it is a quick and cheap fix.
Since the OEM gasket is only $14 I have ordered a new gasket and will replace it, but will have the weatherseal rubber foam for a quick fix.

IMG_0799.JPGIMG_0800.JPGIMG_0801.JPGIMG_0809.JPGIMG_0813[1].jpgIMG_0814[1].jpg

Welcome Tom,
The Tri Glide trunk leak seems to have been an ongoing issue for years now, so you aren't the only one who has experianced this. On the newer, warrantied trikes like yours, owners wind up back at the selling dealer, get it fixed and we dont hear back with what the solution was.

It is likely either a trunk striker miss-adjustment leaving just enough gap to allow water entry around the trunk lid seal, or as you mentioned, improper sealing of the tourpac mounting bolt holes. Maybe someone else will chime in that has had this issue, if not, let us know what your dealer does to correct it.
Bike is going in to the dealership next week, I report back on what they did. Thanks all

I just discovered this issue on my recently purchased 2019 after my first wash... If you had your trike serviced under warranty for this issue, please share what dealership did to correct this issue. Thanks!

Bike is going to dealership this coming Tuesday. They stated they will fix the leak, I believe the water is coming in thru the bolts that hold the tour pac. Since I have mold in the trunk they stated they will order an new trunk and replace the trunk lining. After the bike is done I will report back. Be safe all.

Bike is going to dealership this coming Tuesday. They stated they will fix the leak, I believe the water is coming in thru the bolts that hold the tour pac. Since I have mold in the trunk they stated they will order an new trunk and replace the trunk lining. After the bike is done I will report back. Be safe all.
Just checking in. Any updates from your service appointment?

Hello all, hope everyone is doing well. I had the trike in the dealership for the leak in the trunk. They stated the bolts that connect the tour pack to the top of the trunk were not tightened to spec and that is why it leaked.

As for the lining, I think they cleaned it and disinfected it. First they told me they did not have a lining in stock and were going to clean the existing one. When I complained a lot , they informed me about an hour later they removed one from a new bike they had. I think they lied and cleaned mine. I waited to post because I wanted to wash the bike and see if it leaked again, it did not. As for the lining it’s clean and has no smell to it, if one develops I will bring it back. Ride safe all and have fun.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back