Trike Installer Problems

Your trike looks great in the assembly pictures - love the color. Did you get it back yet or did I miss the "It's Finished" post.

Have fun, ride safe! :wave4:

We just lost a great trike installer in the central Kentucky area. Bob Morton of Morton Motorsports in Louisville recently sold the business and retired. I great guy who did good work.

Bob Morton Motorsports installed my Roadsmith conversion a few years ago and I have never had a problem with it. But to give credit where it's due, Mike, the mechanic who did the actual work should get most of the credit. I have never seen a cleaner workplace - you could eat off the floor and every tool was in its place - an absolutely meticulous shop! I wish I knew where Mike was now - somewhere in southern Indiana?

Thank you for your help, I know after I get it home I will go completely over every thing
with more scrutiny to se if I see anything. The dealer is little over an hour away, not far to return it If I find problems. The only problem my friend has encountered on his trike is a leaking trunk door he discovered after getting caught in a downpour.

I had a Roadsmith installed and had a leaky trunk also. The dealer tried everything and finally had to install a second gasket facing the first. It seems to keep things dry. (Although I avoid the rain whenever possible) I did have a problem with the trunk popping open until the gaskets broke in. Make sure to give the trunk a little tug when closing it to make sure it latches.

Guess I forgot to post a finished picture, I picked the trike up August 6 and haven't been able to get the grin off my face since. I have to give kuddow to Roadsmith's painter, the finish is absolutely perfect, not a blemish anywhere. The 75 mile ride home was a get acquainted experience, still taking some getting used to the feel in the curves, haven't figures where I should set the progressive shocks or the adjustable pre load to get the best feel in the curves. My wife took her first ever motorcycle ride with me last Saturday, I think she is already hooked, heard her talking to a friend about buying riding gear. The installer did a great job as far as I can tell, only thing I discovered and don't know if I should jump the dealer about, they charged me $325 for tail light bases, bulbs and sockets and then used the tail lights from my saddlebags. Here's the finished product.

Trike 1a.JPGtrike 1b.JPG

I would certainly ask somebody why they charged me $325 to use my own parts and they better have a real good answer.

BTW that is a really pretty trike and I am not a real fan of Yellow,but that is nice.

I would certainly ask somebody why they charged me $325 to use my own parts and they better have a real good answer.

BTW that is a really pretty trike and I am not a real fan of Yellow,but that is nice.

Every time I stop somewhere someone comes over to admire my trike, the yellow certainly catches your eye. Yesterday I stopped to fuel up and two old fishermen were fueling their bass boat and they both came over to ask about it, of course I had to brag a bit.

Chances since they're a dealer you will be fine; particularly since you had a good recommendation from someone you trust.

What to look for before you take delivery:

Quality of any paint work done

Look for loose fasteners everywhere they worked; rear kit, rake kit, Fork axle pinch bolts, etc.

Check clearance between rear wheels and fenders to be sure they got the kit centered correctly

Be sure they put the center brace under the wing boards if you got them.

Check that "trunk open" warning flashes in dash if either trunk door, upper and lower, are left open. Some dealers don't hook it up and all they have to do is plug in the two pin connecter from the new lower truck and old right saddlebag "open" connection. If the lower trunk is open the warning should flash for the right saddlebag since that's the connector they use.

Double check lug nut torque.

Check tire pressure.

Check brakes on test drive to be sure they bled them correctly and brakes have firm feel and not mushy. Remember, new pads on rear will have to break-in so they will either feel very grabby at first (if they used the EBC Yellowstuff pads) or may feel weak if standard pads are used. Don't be afraid to ask about it.

Aux fuel tank? If you got this, then fill it and check at first opportunity to be sure it's transferring fuel correctly and that there are no leaks.

Chances are you will find very little wrong from a dealer. But, humans are working on it so pay attention. You have a great warranty from Roadsmith and they do back it up professionally so don't be afraid to use it. If anyone gives you any flack about warranty then call Roadsmith directly.

Enjoy! I love my Roadsmith and think you will too. Lots of smiles an miles. :pepper:

EVERYTHING that mh has stated here are things to look for.
I had my Roadsmith conversion done by a so-called highly-regarded, independent shop back this past November, and every issue he's listed here, I've had some sort of issue with...and then some. All installer issues too, not Roadsmith. I fixed almost all of them myself, but there was one major one that I took back to them for warranty work as it was pretty expensive as it involved replacement of the trunk lid which needed to be painted. Roadsmith warranted that one, but I still don't believe it was Roadsmith's doing. Loose and missing fasteners were everywhere. Lug nuts never torqued. Even my right exhaust pipe fell off doing 60 mph in traffic. Fortunately, no one hit it or was hurt. Again, loose fasteners. The left side was about to do the same thing.
In addition to his recommendations, choose your installer wisely (which it sounds like you have) and try to stay as close to home as you can. That way, if a major issue does crop up, it's not a 1600-mile round trip with loss of work and hotel costs to get it fixed. IF I had known this past November what I know right now, mine would have been done locally, or in my own shop by myself. I would have farmed out the paint work locally to a shop that I know and trust from first hand experience that does good work. After having it apart a couple of times, I could have handled the mechanical work myself and done a far much better job of it. Would it have taken me longer? Well, they had the bike over a month to do it right, so no, not really, but I'd have done it right the first time. I do love the Roadsmith though. Got the HD sway bar and the aux fuel tank with it and glad I did.

Thanks for the advice, so far nothing has fallen off, I need to take a day and crawl under it and check all the bolts just for peace of mind. I have a lot of confidence in their mechanic who builds the trikes, he's been around a long time and builds a lot of trikes. The only problems so far was with the TPMS light coming on on the ride home and the license plate light not working, I took it back last week and they fixed the two issues and adjusted my shocks up one notch, and he gave me a spanner wrench in case I want to change the setting. The body was painted by Roadsmith and the finish is absolutely flawless. I am very happy with the trike and very happy I chose Roadsmith.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back