Tong weight allowed ?

I am trying to find out allowed tong weight , not tow weight , on my roadster / Champion trik. No one has Ben Able to tell me. Even Champion.. Here's why, I maid a rack to fit into my hitch with a good receiver and a mounted box on it. It doesn't weigh much 22 lbs empty, 40 max when loaded, and doesn't affect the handling any.. I took a trip to DC and back about 1200 mil, with no prob. I will post pix ASAP. What do U think ?? :Shrug:

I am trying to find out allowed tong weight , not tow weight , on my roadster / Champion trik. No one has Ben Able to tell me. Even Champion.. Here's why, I maid a rack to fit into my hitch with a good receiver and a mounted box on it. It doesn't weigh much 22 lbs empty, 40 max when loaded, and doesn't affect the handling any.. I took a trip to DC and back about 1200 mil, with no prob. I will post pix ASAP. What do U think ?? :Shrug:

You should be fine to 50#/60#.All hitch spec seem to be in that rangeThumbUp

Did some checking on this subject a few years ago and talked to several trike kit companys.No one could advise a toung weight specific for their kit and advised to follow the GVW (gross vehicle weight) recomended by the motorcycle manual.
Example:If you have a total GVW on the motorcycle of say 400 lbs. and you load the bike/trike with 350 lbs. of riders and another 25 lbs.of gear (and chrome) that would leave 25 lbs. of extra GVW to use as toung weight.
Never been able to get anyone that makes kits for trikes to commit to saying that a trike kit,with heavier suspension has a higher toung weight.
This may not apply to the V8 type trikes that have the full automotive type rear suspension.
That's what I have been able to find out.This may have changed.

I would say if it worked fine already you are alright. Most motorcycle trailers seem to be in the 35-50 lbs range for their tongue weights so if you start there at least you have a baseline and then can experiment to see what you can do.Although I can see why a Trike Kit manufacturer would want you to stay within the original motorcycle GVWR, thats a little disingenuous on their part as with their kit added on you may already be at close to that to start with. Considering their heavier duty frame structure, stronger axle and suspension, larger tires and additional tire, you can certainly carry more then a stock 2 wheeler before exceeding the GVWR.

I am not an engineer but I do understand that 50 or 60 pounds of weight on a carrier is not as stable as the same weight on the trike.When you hang that weight several feet behind the centerline of the suspension it makes a huge difference.
I personally do not think that much weight on a carrier is safe.
That is why I built a small trailer.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Ride safe!!
Tip

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back