Thinking of triking using this

How is your conversion different than others like champion?
I live in Utica, NY. It may not be practical for me.

I think he is just saying he will stick with his trike. The system scares me. Landing gear, legs up what ever it be, it is still prone to failure.. They say never I say " never is a long long time. " wires break, things break. I would always be afraid that it was not there.$ 4,100 is not cheap. Not saying it is not worth it, a lot of engineering wheat into it. I do like the leg up more than the other 2..

Champion is a fine conversion. I just happened to like the lines a little better on the Hannigan. Original mileage on the bike was a HUGE plus as well. Stability is fantastic with the IRS onboard too.

I spent two years researching the various options for trikes and this was the best choice for me. What YOU might like may be a lot different from my personal preferences.

Yes, I did look into the "landing gear" types of rigs. As another poster stated it just seemed that there was too much that could, conceivably, go wrong. And with my back in the bad shape that it is now, that was not an option. I needed something that would stay upright ALL the time. Even if something breaks I don't have to worry about falling over and having to pick up 900+ pounds of motorcycle.

Research whats out there and make the best informed decision that you can. Bottom line is this....if it makes YOU happy then that's good enough.

How is your conversion different than others like champion?
I live in Utica, NY.

It may not be practical for me.

The state of Iowa has outlawed that type of conversion. If you enter the state and a LEO spots it you will be given a choice, remove the unit or leave the state emediately. That says a lot for the safety of these conversions.
:AGGHH:

Don't know about you, but a lot of my riding buddies, (and myself occasionally) can't seem to remember to turn off the signal lights...never mind a switch to lock up your back wheels. I'd never trust myself to remember, and to be trusting that the wheels are down and locked when they're not...and vice versa can be a recipe for disaster, IMHO, but...

Again, I'll be sticking with my REAL trike and not some oddball setup.....

Don't know about you, but a lot of my riding buddies, (and myself occasionally) can't seem to remember to turn off the signal lights...never mind a switch to lock up your back wheels. I'd never trust myself to remember, and to be trusting that the wheels are down and locked when they're not...and vice versa can be a recipe for disaster, IMHO, but...

We have a local man who used the "retractable" wheel conversion. Did not work out so well. We live in the Arkansas twisties where there is no level ground. Managing the "moment to retract" or "moment to lower" caused severe driver distraction. He dropped his Wing five times in short order because one of the down wheels made contact with the pavement instantly turning what he thought was bike into a trike; completely different "steering" required. After seeing him ride and several additional near drops we decided those type systems are not viable from a safety standpoint; at least here. Maybe if you live in an area with flat ground it wouldn't present such a problem. Just sayin....

I didn't get the opinion he was trying to get anyone to change, he is just trying to get information concerning those two types of kits.
I can't answer your questions because I haven't ridden either of these kits. I looked at the ghost wheels but decided that wasn't what I wanted. There was another one like the landing gear for Goldwings but from what I remember it had larger wheels, about a 6 inch wheel. One thing I remember about them is the equipment to operate them pretty much filled one of the saddlebags. I didn't figure my wife would be willing to give up her storage space for the controls, pumps and hydraulic oil.. There was a guy in Indiana who tried to build some manual wheels that the rider pushed down with his feet when stopping, but I don't think he got anywhere with that.

I thought seriously about the "Legup". It has a huge advantage in Calif. because you can still split lanes in traffic. I may still consider it if I drop my Road Glide once or twice.

I considered the leg-up set up; but got to wondering what happens in event of an electrical error and the wheels don't come down or retract when they're supposed to; or what about a stop on a crowned street where one wheel makes contact and the other one doesn't. All things considered i felt a set up that keeps all wheels down all of the time.....hence either a full trike, or an outrigger seems the best way to go depending on rider preference and of course finances. Individual's choice in the end.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back