Super Tuner

Oct 13, 2010
USA
Looks like the Super Tuner will be harder to get soon.

Harley just settled with the government for 12 million.

Damned EPA going for the "low hanging fruit". Motorcycles are so low down on the emissions scale that it seems like a bunch of wasted time, but hey they fleeced HD for a few mil$...
What good does the EPA really do for the country?

As someone very new to the HD world, and wanting to do this to my trike in the near future, my concern is are they going to go after the other makers of tuners?

From what I have read they all say something about "off road use only" or "not legal in some jurisdictions", as did the HD super tuner, but that didn't stop the EPA. Maybe they only went after HD because they are the manufacturers of the bikes and the ones that certified them to meeting EPA regs. I don't know, but it's got me concerned.

Crap.

I'd get one now, but I don't see me having the money to do so until next year sometime.

This is not good news.

I wonder who is next? Dynojet? Mastertune? V&H?

V&H has already paid a big fine in Cali for their exhaust. As an Authorized V&H Dealer, we do not ship any V&H exhaust to California anymore.

The EPA is typical in their government lack of common sense. The little bit of extra pollution saved on motorcycles because of their regs is overwhelmed by the extra pollution created by parts wearing out more quickly AND by lower MPG.

Kevin

I would think once the dust settles most dealers will think twice about installing pipes without cats...Among other stuff.. Its called tampering with emission controls...

I would be concerned at some point down the road the EPA will turn their eye towards the consumer. As with cars a few decades ago there is gold in them there fines. Hope they don't start smog check on bikes. Since they think they know best and must save us from ourselves.:AGGHH:

It appears that was possibly a muscle flexing issue. A few years back, woods for making musical instruments was the target. I am sure before this is over with we will have to face some change. Jim

Under the agreement, Harley-Davidson said it will no longer sell the racing tuners. The company also will offer to buy back all such tuners in stock at Harley-Davidson dealerships across the country and destroy them. The company said it now will offer a different model for sale designed to comply with state and federal clean air standards.

Clint

I could never understand how a company can sell you a bike that was EPA Certified.... Then sell a part that they say is EPA certified and warrantee , And that part makes the bike more powerful runs cooler and gets better MPG's..You would think that they would make that part standard ...If it were a Automobile company that part would be standard... And they would advertise that fact..
Go to any car dealer and ask if they would remove the cat, Or put a tuner in for you, And see what they say.... I hope this doesn't wake up the EPA to take a closer look at Motorcycles in the future..

I thought I read that H-D can still sell them, but to foreign countries only.

You can bet pipes are next - and soon.

Everyone knows that Harley riders are not buying the tuners for off road or track, no matter what they say. ThumbUp

I can see them going after Dyno-Jet (Power Vision) and TTS very soon. You can bet that part of HD's deal was that the EPA stop the "other" guys from producing and selling these type of tuners. The re-tuning and new exhaust of new and used bikes is a huge part of HD's business

It might not hurt to have an extra or three rat-holed

And then it will be Superchips and Diablo they will go after

I could never understand how a company can sell you a bike that was EPA Certified.... Then sell a part that they say is EPA certified and warrantee , And that part makes the bike more powerful runs cooler and gets better MPG's..You would think that they would make that part standard ...If it were a Automobile company that part would be standard... And they would advertise that fact..
Go to any car dealer and ask if they would remove the cat, Or put a tuner in for you, And see what they say.... I hope this doesn't wake up the EPA to take a closer look at Motorcycles in the future..

I'm with you on that,at first I thought I was a little slow.The bikes are sold in compliance.How can they hold the company responsible for what the consumer does.Man..they'd have a fit over my old shovel.

Rubber stamp companies are bzy , "Not For Highway Use" or "For Off Road Use Only" or "Not Intended For Off Driveway Use" :AGGHH:

Actually,

All this compels the question: Will the new M8 be/have a tunable system?

And, could this ruling actually cause more and worse emissions....with no tune option, folks may be compelled to take "Other" paths... even revert to different ignitions and carbs....

EPA: BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU MANAGE FOR....YOU MIGHT GET IT.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Springman

Don't worry .... Harley is hiring some VW Engineers for ECM software development. They will get everything to pass emissions. :laugh:

Bob :D

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back