Sena FREEWIRE-01 - WRONG FIRMWARE…TWICE!!

May 23, 2021
Clatskanie, OR
Recently purchased 2 Freewire-01 (Harley variant) units for my new TriGlide…

One works very well…the other has been a quality control train wreck.

On connection with the Sena BT Manager (yes. latest version) ONE indicated this black & orange unit HAS GOLD WING FIRMWARE IN IT.

The box, label, color and cables are all correct for a Harley FW-01…but wrong firmware.

Opened a case with Support, I had done everything correctly, included screenshots and box/label pics… They even had me try to flash the unit to the HD variant firmware…it won’t change…they said ship it in under xxxxx RMA.

Did that…they promptly shipped a new replacement Harley Freewire-01 complete unit…COMPLETE WITH THE SAME $@%# GOLD WING FIRMWARE!!!

I have asked for case escalation and that a Tech Support or Customer Service Manager call me immediately to give me a resolution to this problem.

Needless to say I am EXTREMELY disappointed…we have a long ride in 10 days and I doubt if the intercom system will have 2 Freewires installed at this rate.

I have long been a supporter of Sena products but now I’m not so sure.:ranting:

UPDATE:

During a conversation with one of the Sena Tech support supervisors today, it became apparent to both of us that this is a manufacturing problem that likely occurred at the factory in a batch of Freewire units that were manufactured in early 2021.

They are currently investigating this but if you buy a Freewire-01 for a Harley and on the back of the unit there is a sticker with the letters “FSCA” (it’s their date coding) it may be part of this batch.

More to follow.

One of the team at Sena in CA contacted me…apparently the Development team has provided him with the software tools to change one of the mis-flashed Freewire-01s they have and its on its way to me…should arrive Monday.

They asked me to thoroughly test it and then return the one I have with GW firmware on an RMA.

Kenny at Sena has been very helpful…not his fault the factory messed up a batch of units.

I have one (with correct firmware) already installed in the Tri Glide with a custom power/converter harness and a headset cable I added under the seat so the install is completely out of sight.

As soon as the second unit is verified I’ll install that in the Tour Pak for the passenger.

Sena RMA team sent me the second replacement Freewire-01 with corrected firmware…installed it in the tour pak and it’s now working as expected.

I imagine the Sena folks in CA are now working thru their existing supply of mis-flashed units that have Gold Wing firmware and correcting the rest of their stock.

Kenny at Sena stayed on top of this and many thanks to him for his efforts.

I would just like to know how to get SENA to respond to verbal orders... have brand-new SENA 50S units paired from the factory and she ignores me when I say... Hey SENA... and whatever I want to know .... like, "battery check".

I had the instructions printed into a nice spiral bound book... but the instructions themselves are NOT very on point.

At least I can now talk to my riding partner... and the audio is exceptionally clear I must say.

I have voice command on the 5S intercom units as well, and I found I have to speak up, and speak rather quickly for it to catch the entire phrase.

It might also have to do with the pronunciation of the trigger word SENA…(‘Senna’, ‘Seena’, etc.).

The instructions of course are in the manual which I’m sure you found… but I’ll post them here for anyone that’s thinking about getting one of these intercoms:

FB7C1385-5024-4C84-BB14-9FCF7AC1709C.jpeg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back