Sales tax on used trike in Texas

Leaky Waders

40+ Posts
Dec 30, 2022
Houston, TX, USA
When purchasing a used motorcycle converted into a trike by the seller does the buyer pay Texas sales taxes on the value of the motorcycle alone or on the total amount paid for the trike?

I have heard two things and am not sure which is correct.

I have heard that the conversion kit is considered an accessory and you only pay tax on the value of the motorcycle.

I have also heard that you pay taxes on the total amount paid for the converted trike.

Does the bill of sale have to be presented to the tax assessor?

Thanks.

When purchasing a used motorcycle converted into a trike by the seller does the buyer pay Texas sales taxes on the value of the motorcycle alone or on the total amount paid for the trike?

I have heard that the conversion kit is considered an accessory and you only pay tax on the value of the motorcycle.

I have also heard that you pay taxes on the total amount paid for the converted trike.

Thanks.

I am not from Texas - but would imagine that like most states, you pay sales taxes on the price of the total package.

Example, here in Michigan, when I purchased my bike, I paid taxes on the bike. When I later added the trike, I paid taxes on the trike part.

Had I purchased a TriGlide, I would have paid taxes on the entire cost.

Thanks.

Probably apples to oranges here but in jersey the sales tax is for the total price of the vehicle so whatever you payed for it that’s what your tax would be..

I don't know how Texas, or any state, could separate values for motorcycle and accessories, or even want to. When you buy a used car I think you will be taxed on the purchase price for the total vehicle including accessories. The same should be true for motorcycles..... Jim

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back