??? Re tour-pak hinges

I put the premium hinges and latches on mine. I would recommend that you use a Dremmel (spelling?) tool and gently grind off the inside end of the rivets. I did used a drill and it didn't work too well. The drill would almost go through the rivet and then it would spin. A small grinder would also make it easier to get behind the weather strip. My $0.02.

Just something to keep in mind, the 'premium' hinges look great, but in every case I've seen tour pack cover failure came when the lanyard failed and the lid did a flop over. The hinges never break, the plastic lip on the tour pack lid does. BIG BUCKS!!! I also added a piece of chain in addition to the cable supplied by Harley. You have to be careful about opening the lid in the wind, or letting someone else open it.

Just something to keep in mind, the 'premium' hinges look great, but in every case I've seen tour pack cover failure came when the lanyard failed and the lid did a flop over. The hinges never break, the plastic lip on the tour pack lid does. BIG BUCKS!!! I also added a piece of chain in addition to the cable supplied by Harley. You have to be careful about opening the lid in the wind, or letting someone else open it.

I agree. I put the hinges and latches on because I like the look better.

I was one that had the retractable cable break, lucky that lid did not break. I installed a metal support arm on mine so I would not have to worry again.

Are the tour boxes strong? Could be made better but after allot of use of this one and the one on my 05 Ultra, they stand up to allot of abuse.

These different type hinges and latches fall in the "pretty" class and not the necessary class for me, but pretty is sometimes necessary! ThumbUp
Dennis

Just installed the Premium hinges. Suggest using a metal putty knife to protect the gasket when drilling the rivet rollover portion and opening up the holes. I will make up a 1/16th coated cable with different anchor points to backup the tether. (Belt and suspenders). As a previous post mentioned, take your time. Threadlock is a must.

I don't know if it can be done, :Shrug: But I wish someone could figure a way so the lid would open from the left side, [or back to front] I guess from all the years on two wheelers I always approach the trike from the left, And then have to go around to the other side. I know on a two wheeler it has to be that way so the lid doesn't keep slamming down on you.....

don't want to wear out the agree button but I have the good hinges put them on for cosmetic reasons but they are a lot more well built. ThumbUp

I don't know if it can be done, :Shrug: But I wish someone could figure a way so the lid would open from the left side, [or back to front] I guess from all the years on two wheelers I always approach the trike from the left, And then have to go around to the other side. I know on a two wheeler it has to be that way so the lid doesn't keep slamming down on you.....

no reason why you couldn't switch side with the hardware if you wanted.

... I installed a metal support arm on mine so I would not have to worry again. ...
ThumbUp
Dennis

Hi Dennis, I wondering if you could say more about the "metal support arm" that you installed, a photo, where you got it or measurements, anything would be great help. I don't really like the stuff I see for sale, plus the $$'s are usually way too much for what it is. Just PM me if that would be easier for you. Thanks

Hi Dennis, I wondering if you could say more about the "metal support arm" that you installed, a photo, where you got it or measurements, anything would be great help. I don't really like the stuff I see for sale, plus the $$'s are usually way too much for what it is. Just PM me if that would be easier for you. Thanks

Sent PM

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back