Parking question

Hi Mark, :welcome: to Trike Talk and your first post

If parking on the street I park mine like a motorcycle, IMO it makes it easier to pull oit into traffic

When I am in a parking lot like say a grocery store I pull thru a car spot so I am pointed out, that way I do not have to worry about backing up

Most of the parallel parking spots around my area are too narrow to park face out without having your front wheel at least partway in the traffic lane. I've never actually had to parallel park my trike, just pull into the spot and maybe push back a foot or so to center it up with the front wheel facing a bit towards the traffic lane. Anywhere else I pull through facing out or look for a spot that's on an incline and pull front in towards the curb. Then I can just roll backwards to leave. Finding the best parking arrangement becomes second nature on a trike after awhile.

I am taking delivery on a 2023 Tri Glide Ultra in a couple of weeks. I am not sure if a trike should be backed into a curb parking place or if it should be parallel parked. I live in Washington State.

Welcome to Trike Talk and congrats on your new trike.

You have received some great responses - and for most of us, it is based on our preferences. I did however notice that you are from Washington, one of the few states that require a trike license.

Here in Michigan for example, we require a motorcycle endorsement. So, if you have that endorsement, you can then ride a trike. So, saying that, are there any state requirements and/or recommendations in your trike endorsement manual?

Welcome to Trike Talk from Alabama :wave4:, your question has been answered but I'll just add I try to back up as little as possible either pull through or park headed out without using my reverse.

Welcome to Trike world. I try to park where it makes it the easiest for me to leave and I like not to use my reverse unless I absolutely need to. Just me, I already had to work on my reverse motor once. You Will get use to it and it will get to be just a habit.

If you can`t park parallel, then park it just like you would a 2 wheeler.

Front end toward the high spot of the space, this usually means backing in.

But if the curb is the high spot, park front end towards the curb.

Keep in mind, using your reverse is nice, but unless you drive a ways without shutting off the engine, you may not have a strong enough battery to restart the engine.

Just for fun...

[h=2]Just for fun... Here's something stupid

STREET PARKING[/h]California Vehicle Code section 22503 governs parallel parking for cars and motorcycles. The portions of the statute dealing with motorcycle Parking are quoted below. In short, the law states that a motorcycle must be parked with one wheel touching the right-hand curb, or, on a one-way street, one wheel must be touching either curb.

CVC § 22502

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, . . . a motorcycle shall be parked with at least one wheel or fender touching the right-hand curb . . .

(e) (1) Upon a one-way roadway, . . . a motorcycle, if parked on the left-hand side, shall have either one wheel or one fender touching the curb . . .

Keep in mind, using your reverse is nice, but unless you drive a ways without shutting off the engine, you may not have a strong enough battery to restart the engine.

Nonsense.

People back their trikes into parking spots and shut the engine off all the time, and the machines start right up.

A decent battery is not going to strand you just because you use reverse.

If your battery is that weak, it wouldn`t have the power to move the bike in reverse to begin with.

I installed a mechanical reverse two years ago and love it. Works much better than the electric motor and no hit on the battery.

I put a mechanical reverse on my 2011 Triglide…And after that I feared No parking space.I parked where ever I wanted to. .. I could back out just like you would with a car… gravel, grass uphill downhill it didn’t matter…👍

I parallel park, I want the least chance that someone will hit my bike, the closest to the curb THE BETTER! If I'm in a shopping area with lots of parking spaces, I then park so I can just drive out w/o using my reverse gear..

Ronnie

7/16/23

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back