observations/questions

Oct 14, 2011
austin tx usa
I recently changed the oil in my 08 MotorTrike with Rotella blue jug hoping to get smoother shifting - got that only when the oil is cold, when hot it's back to the "clunky" shifting. Is that typical, or would Amsoil or Mobil 1 do a better job. Is there something about the way I am shifting it that causes the clunking?
A few days ago I went for a ride after warming up the wing as I always do, and when I pulled out on to the street, I felt a bit of hesitation when accelerating in 2nd gear. That didn't happen again until the next day, same circumstances. So, I changed out the spark plugs with new NKG's and the problem went away. I don't know how to "read" plugs, but the trike had 10K on it when I bought it and I changed them at 15K. I have read that some put many more miles on their plugs before changing them. Is 15K the limit for NKG plugs?
Gerald

I have an 08 wing with 16K on it. You are correct about the Rotella T6, it is great when cold but when it gets hot it sounds the same as usual. I cannot tell you if the AMS Oil would be better. I have had the Trike since new and still have the same spark plugs in it and don't plan on changing them any times soon due to the fact the wing is running great all of the time. On this forum I have read people not changing them out until 90K but I feel that to be extreme. Enjoy the ride...

plugs should look tike they are tan / slight beige color. should not look black.were you sure you didn,t feel a little clutch slippage with the new synthetic oil your are using ?

I went through a similar situation with the 06 wing, with less than 10k miles. I eventually found a bad plug wire. It started out as an occasional miss.

make sure your clutch is not the problem, i bleed mine and have new fluid and it is shifting like new,, and i have to have the lever all the way back.
i have never found oil types to make any diff.

I have 67,000 on my plugs. Mine is as smooth as silk all the way to 8,000 rpm. Try bleeding the clutch, I can shift mine all temp without using the clutch.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back