not yet happy with trike

Best of luck with whatever decision you make. You can add lift kits, rake kits, and independent rear ends, your trike will never steer like a 2 wheeler. It has been a hard 2 years transitioning from my Ultra to the trike. Trikes don't lean, you have to muscle them. I'm no spring chicken, 68 years old with my share of infirmities. Can't hold an Ultra up anymore, and just not ready for a rocking chair. The trike was about my only alternative. We have put over 30,000 miles on the 09. It is still a kick in the pants to ride, get caught in a rain storm, find new places, get cold, get hot, that is why we all chose motorcycles a long time ago. Time catches up with us, Trikes give us a little more time.

I just went from 2 wheels to three this spring. My biggest complaint is that it wears me out to ride this thing. i feel like I have been to the gym for a three hour upper body workout after I have ridden several miles of twisties. Two wheels was much easier. Any adjustments to help this problem?

I went with a 6 degree rake and kuryakn handlebar risers. That took me from being exhausted in 1 or 2 hours to riding all day with no problem. I think the rake kit helped the most. Now I can also corner without the slowing down before a corner un-necessarily.

I just went from 2 wheels to three this spring. My biggest complaint is that it wears me out to ride this thing. i feel like I have been to the gym for a three hour upper body workout after I have ridden several miles of twisties. Two wheels was much easier. Any adjustments to help this problem?

Hi Downstream, after reading your comment a few times I was wondering if you think its possible that you are a little extra tense when your on the TG and that is causing you to feel worn out. If riding the TG is totally new to you it would not be unusual for you or anyone else to be a little worried & tense about being on something different. I'm not saying that being tense is the complete problem, but it may be part of it and than using different muscles may also part of it.
I loved my TG from the start, but I will bet that you will love yours after a few more miles.

i know i'm a little late on this conversation... just bought a 13' Tri-glide and felt the same way. after taking short 20 to 50 mile rides it got much easier as i use my legs to hug the tank and let off a bit going into the turns and as hit the apex i start to power out of the turns. i'm going about 15mph above the posted speeds and haven't had any issues. it takes time and it definitely will get better. don't give up and there are clutch kits out there as other people have mentioned that make the clutch easier to handle.

It's a different kind of fun!!
Finally got mine out this past weekend - put 400 miles on it - 75% on some very twisty roads - what an absolute great time!! Most fun I've had in a long time and that includes many rides on my '07 RK.
It's just a "different kind of fun".
The twisties were absolutely no problem once I got it through my thick skull that I wasn't going to tip over or get thrown off. I kinda tucked down, hugged the tank with my legs, and just powered through the curves - what a BLAST!! My buddies couldn't believe how great I was taking them and how the trike just absolutely stuck to the road - like glue!
Could it use more power? Maybe. Maybe not. Guess I'll find out on our trip out to the Beartooth Pass next month. I did add Jackpot headers and pipes (no cam), SE Air Cleaner, and a Dynojet Power Vision. Right now it runs great. I'm past the drag racing stage of my life. We'll see how it takes the mountain roads and passing - that's when the extra power is nice. Maybe all it'll need (if anything) will be a cam. Like I said - we'll find out soon enuff!
I have 2 torn rotator cuffs and it wasn't all that diffucult to turn as soon as I figured out the push/pull thing. Since we ride mountains most of the time in our yearly trips - I'm definately going to consider Bazooka's rake kit over the winter. I think that just might be the cat's meow!
So far I'm not just liking it - I'm LOVING it!!
I'll let you know if that feeling is still there at the end of the riding season!

At the risk of sounding sarcastic stay away from the twisties as much as possible . I found it is harder in the twisties and I liked 'em as much as anybody . A local trike builder warned me about this when I was thinking about a trike . :gah:
I know it's impossible to stay away from all curves but I don't go looking like I did on two wheels but just the safe feeling I have on this trike makes me forget about riding the dragons tail and other places with kiss your tail turns . I hope it all works out for you but I don't think you can ever make it handle like two wheels no matter what you do ......SO GOOD LUCK RICK...ThumbUp ThumbUp

also At the risk of sounding sarcastic if you have to stay away from any road beacause it is too hard to steer you need to get the trike set up correctly because it is not!!!! i dont care what trike it is solid or irs conversion or not.... with the right trail you should be able to keep with most 2 wheelers (crusers any how.... crotch rockets not so mutch) in the twisties if not wait for them to get out of your way.... and some will complain that with steering that easy it will be to light on the highway....but that is easier to get used to than being tired from having to work at .... if its a workout you want go to the gym.... but riding should be enjoyable...
after a 4 or 500 mile day you will feel the difference trust me!!

I think time will help you and you should also PM BAZOOKA here as he sauid..I have heard nothing but good things about his product!
I have a Victory Cross country with CSC conversion and they use an 8* rake...I have had no issues that you mention in the twisties as you say. I was fortunate and had all winter to get reading here and get things in my head correctly on the push n pull and pushing down with legs etc etc. I have gotten use to it and did my first 6 hour run last weekend with zero issues or discomfort other then my arse gets sore on the stock seat LOL
I also ride my 2 wheeler mostly with the trike being for 2 up and trips...so I am back and forth....try a rake on the TGlide and I bet your smiling even bigger!

When I first had my Wing converted I found I was using my back muscles too much and not enough of my arms and shoulders. I also had set backs installed on my handlebars, which helped a lot. Steering is VERY different than riding a 2 wheeler, that is for sure. It generally works itself out. Have fun and enjoy your ride.

The Tri-glide is ancient technology. If it feels like you're driving a horse drawn cart, it's because you are.

You can always upgrade to CSC, Motortrike, or any number of other track kits for around $600-$800.

The Tri-glide is ancient technology. If it feels like you're driving a horse drawn cart, it's because you are.

You can always upgrade to CSC, Motortrike, or any number of other track kits for around $600-$800.

My opinion is that both of these statements are just wrong. Iv'e had a DFT trike and now have a tri-glide and the tri handles the corners better. I don't think you can get any kind of a kit for that amount. JMO

Yep, and that is why I bought it. Love my Tri Glide. ThumbUp

What are "set backs"?:xzqxz:

Depending on the trike the cost can be $60.00 to $800.00 Set backs move your handlebars about 2 inches closer to the rider and give the rider easier control on turning. My brother in law added them to his Triglide, but had to buy new handlebars and new brake and clutch cables. Cost him about 800 bucks. Labor was high of course since his local Harley dealer did the work. Other brands can be done for as little as 60 bucks.

To use the 2" pullbacks from Harley, you don't have to buy anything other than the bars. If you can't put them in yourself, then the labor of a Harley, or Indy shop. You might need to re-route the clutch cable to be long enough. I didn't have to.

Lift kit first or rake?

Lift kit first ! Much less money, and you might help the steering in the process. You aren't going to get away from the fact you aren't a 2 wheeler anymore, but it helps. You will need it for the lift anyway. If it doesn't do enough then the rake.
:Trike1:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back