No Power to bike

Bike has been on trickle charger.

Went to start bike and engine turned over but did not start. After a couple of cycles, I let everything settle and tried again.

This time I heard a loud click from left side, everything went dead and there was a smell of burning wire.

I checked all the fuses, and all appear intact.

Tried Advanced search but too many variables come up.

Made an appointment with local HD dealership to pick up for diagnostic check.

Trying not to get dis-heartened, but getting ribbed by the "told you so" of non-Harley riding friends is making me question my decision of purchase.

Glad it's not full riding season.

Bike has been on trickle charger. Went to start bike and engine turned over but did not start. After a couple of cycles, I let everything settle and tried again. This time I heard a loud click from left side, everything went dead and there was a smell of burning wire. I checked all the fuses, and all appear intact. Tried Advanced search but too many variables come up. Made an appointment with local HD dealership to pick up for diagnostic check.Trying not to get dis-heartened, but getting ribbed by the "told you so" of non-Harley riding friends is making me question my decision of purchase. Glad it's not full riding season.

Check your main fuse with a meter. It may look good, but doesn't mean it is. What year is your Freewheeler?

Went to start bike and engine turned over but did not start. After a couple of cycles, I let everything settle and tried again.

This time I heard a loud click from left side, everything went dead and there was a smell of burning wire.

I checked all the fuses, and all appear intact.

Tried Advanced search but too many variables come up.

Made an appointment with local HD dealership to pick up for diagnostic check.

Trying not to get dis-heartened, but getting ribbed by the "told you so" of non-Harley riding friends is making me question my decision of purchase.

How old is the battery?…. and you say trickle charger is it a trickle charger or a maintainer big difference?

That sucks, how old is your battery?

Have it load tested , it is possible the current draw caused the starter to overheat ( like a dead short

I would have the battery load tested, if it is bad you may save yourself some aggravation and down time @ the dealer

Best of luck and check back in

This time I heard a loud click from

This could be diagnosed in short order but since you deemed it unnecessary to provide as much information as possible-enjoy your visit to the dealer.

Check your main fuse with a meter. It may look good, but doesn't mean it is. What year is your Freewheeler?

This is very good advice, pull the fuse out noting how well it fits in the contacts

Clean the blades thoroughly, use a pick tool to clean the female mating pins before reinstalling the fuse making sure it is once again a tight fit

This is very good advice, pull the fuse out noting how well it fits in the contacts

Clean the blades thoroughly, use a pick tool to clean the female mating pins before reinstalling the fuse making sure it is once again a tight fit

Removed main fuse, cleaned all contact area, continuity check, re-installed, still no power. :gah:

When you say "no power" do you mean nothing even lights up on your dash when you turn it on, or the starter isn't engaging?

Not a thing came on, no power period.

Service Dept. got back to me saying that one cell of the battery was dead.

Current battery came with bike, which is a 2015.

Couldn't determine if it was the age of battery, defective battery or bad "Battery Tender" that affected the battery cell.

Installed new battery, bike started right up.

They tested to see if the after-market batwing fairing radio was drawing on battery.

Came back negative on power drain.

I'm not a bike mechanic so I hope the problem is resolved for riding season.

Couldn't determine if it was the age of battery, defective battery or bad "Battery Tender" that affected the battery cell.

They tested to see if the after-market batwing fairing radio was drawing on battery.

Batteries, don’t last forever as far as bad cell goes. It’s nothing unusual that’s what happens to older batteries that’s why a lot of people were asking you about your battery.

As the first thing to suspect…

Always start at the source( the battery), you can solve most of your starting issues, no starts, slow starts, no power by load testing your battery

A poor mans load tester, hook up a voltage meter to the battery, turn ignition on with head light on, observe voltage, press starter, if voltage drops below 10 volts and continues to drop, replace the battery

Modern day engines require at least 10.5 volts to fire the ignition system let alone crank the engine

On Twin Cam and M8 bikes don't even think of a kick starter, these engines require up to 2 full revolutions of the engine to light the fire

I I'm reading your comment correctly, that battery was eight years old. I'm really surprised it made it this far.....

Always start at the source( the battery), you can solve most of your starting issues, no starts, slow starts, no power by load testing your battery

A poor mans load tester, hook up a voltage meter to the battery, turn ignition on with head light on, observe voltage, press starter, if voltage drops below 10 volts and continues to drop, replace the battery

Modern day engines require at least 10.5 volts to fire the ignition system let alone crank the engine

On Twin Cam and M8 bikes don't even think of a kick starter, these engines require up to 2 full revolutions of the engine to light the fire

I'll add this info to the maintenance manual I am creating for future "occurrences".

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back