New member considering trike. What are the pros and cons?

roadking2;354137&quot ; rel= said:
I rode 2 wheeled Harleys for 47 years.

I converted my Roadking to a trike 2 years ago and what I like about it is just about everything and I really can't think of anything I don't like. If I were to nit pick, I suppose I could list a few items. It's wider and so it takes up more space in the lane so you have to be more aware of where you are in the lane. The plus to it is that you are much more visible. I do like the stability. Gravel, wet grass, and things like that are not as much of a concern on 3 wheels. The whole ride is different on 3 wheels but it isn't any less enjoyable. It's like saying which is more thrilling, sky diving or bungee jumping? Surfing or snow boarding? Each is exciting and fun, but a little different. To me asking which is better or which I like more is like asking which side of the coin do you think is better.

Another plus is that I can pack a whole lot more stuff on my trike when I travel and that tends to make the trip more enjoyable.

I am more relaxed on the trike.

This was a problem for me right at first. I'll just call it 'situational awareness'. It does take awhile until you get accustomed to it.

Even now, I'll find my left tire on the center line if I'm not careful. I'm remembering more and more to center myself in the lane. 40 years of riding a little left of center in my lane has been a hard habit to break.

I'll add a pro: people do see you better on a trike. It's bigger, so it registers more. And like other people have said--gravels on the road aren't a bother anymore. My butt always puckered when going around a curve on my 2 wheeler and suddenly seeing gravel in the middle of the lane. Not a worry now.

I'm loving that.

One thing I think is a pro, the trike has enough "mass" to trip the sensors at red lights. Not a big thing, but it beats having to sit through 2 cycles before it is legal to run the light in NC:)

trkie

you can save a-lot of $$ if you get a low mileage ultra classic and install a franeinstein kit. google it. you have a lot of options. they are made in salina,ks and can be installed yourself

Hi Pat,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks here and plenty of advice.

I will give you my $0.02 on switching to a Trike. I made the conversion a little over 2 years ago. I couldn't be happier. Most of my riding includes my wife on the back. We do a few long trips each year. I got tired of the challenges and stress of handling a heavy touring bike with a passenger and luggage. No matter how I tried to keep the heavy stuff in the saddle bags the center of gravity shifted higher and made the whole experience stressful. Plus my wife has a problem with reoccurring sciatic nerve pain in her leg. Having a stable and flat platform to climb onto was a big plus.

Bottom line, for my constant two-up riding needs and travel it was a great move.

If my wife was not a part of the equation I would probably still be on 2 wheels.

She takes great pictures from that back seat position so I decided to keep her around. ;)

I will warn you a trike is a much different riding experience that a standard motorcycle. It takes awhile to adjust and acquire the new skills. All I can say is be patient. I got lots of good tips from the members here on how to handle turns, etc. Don't be afraid to ask. We all were 'trike rookies' at some point so don't be shy and there are no stupid questions.

Good luck on your choice.

Jerry

frankentein kit

i own a '09 t/g and like it a-lot, but if i had another choice i'd buy a frankenstein kit.. they are made in salina,ks and have a lot of options..lb

i own a '09 t/g and like it a-lot, but if i had another choice i'd buy a frankenstein kit.. they are made in salina,ks and have a lot of options..lb

IIRC,you have made this comment before. Other than price,what could a Frankenstein kit possibly do better than a Tri Glide?

In a nut shell a trike is a much more stable platform. It's more like riding an ATV than a motorcycle but with the enjoyment of on the road. Plenty of storage no worry about flats as much. Just much better for us senior folks..Oh and last thing it's still a Harley sounds like one pulls like one smells like one. :clapping:Mine isn't a Tri but it is a Harley.

My $.04(My time worth more, snicker, snicker)
Just went back to 2 wheels last September, after 2 yrs on 2013 HD TriGlide.10K miles.(Ultra Limited before)
Pros: Stability(sand, gravel, rain, hurricanes)
Storage Wifey happy(Above reasons)(#1)
HD dealerships everywhere(Mfr responsible for whole unit, no back and forth between bike mfr, trike mfr, installer. Dropped the keys off, told them to fix it when I had problems)
Cons:
Maintenance costs
Solid axle
Additional costs for comfort. 1.5-2.0 hrs in saddle, Wifey and I have to stretch(over 1500 spent for comfort, looking to spend more for comfort, not)
Threatened by Corp. to cancel warranty due to trailer hitch installed(By Bushtec, during 110th, in HD dealer parking lot)

Looking to probably trike my 2015 GL1800 in a couple of years, because of the Pros listed above. I will go to IRS, no solid axle for me again. Enjoying 2 wheels again, especially not getting tore up by potholes.

Well to be honest I love riding two wheels I have had motorcycles my whole life then it happened I had a brain aneurysm a few years back and My family was worried about me on long trips and riding alone etc etc. Well me and the miss got a Harley Tri Glide and I like it and I will list the reasons below.I still have my old 1200 wing and will ride it locally .

1. When you hit brakes you got 3 to stop you

2. When passing semis etc at 75mph you do not get blown all over road

3. If you were to hit a deer ,dog ,etc you wont have to worry about the laying it down effect

4.On long trips you are less tired and more relaxed

5. If you pull a trailer like i do if you blow a tire on trailer you will be ok plus you can stop safely etc

6. Your wife will love it

7. When you think of a trike don't think your old think your wiser and more experienced.

8. When you ride with your two wheeler buddies you will be asked to haul their stuff. (sure you by lunch)

The fact is to me I do not care what I ride as long as my knees are in the breeze and the stress and rain are behind me and the sun and heat are in front of me lol:clapping:

Make sure you try lots of trikes out and do lots of research and take your time with purchase and i'm sure you will find a trike that makes you very happy.:cool:

My $.04(My time worth more, snicker, snicker)
Just went back to 2 wheels last September, after 2 yrs on 2013 HD TriGlide.10K miles.(Ultra Limited before)
Pros: Stability(sand, gravel, rain, hurricanes)
Storage Wifey happy(Above reasons)(#1)
HD dealerships everywhere(Mfr responsible for whole unit, no back and forth between bike mfr, trike mfr, installer. Dropped the keys off, told them to fix it when I had problems)
Cons:
Maintenance costs
Solid axle
Additional costs for comfort. 1.5-2.0 hrs in saddle, Wifey and I have to stretch(over 1500 spent for comfort, looking to spend more for comfort, not)
Threatened by Corp. to cancel warranty due to trailer hitch installed(By Bushtec, during 110th, in HD dealer parking lot)

Looking to probably trike my 2015 GL1800 in a couple of years, because of the Pros listed above. I will go to IRS, no solid axle for me again. Enjoying 2 wheels again, especially not getting tore up by potholes.

I feel your pain on the..Never thought I would jump on a Can Am Spyder but I did and haven't looked back.. That is one smooth riding Trike..

Well the weather is nice finally, time to go for a ride ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back