New Guy Looking for advice.

Hey Chazzman, I have a few questions for you since you have the same setup as I am looking into. First, is the preload adjustment still can be used when you have converted to the trike kit? Is it worth the extra to go to Level 2? You said you have a Level 1. Do you even use a gps often? Second are the brakes still linked together like the advertizement says it is? I like that setup especially all four bake lights match each other. Do you have the parking brake option? Any answers would be appreicatetive. Ride safe!! Russ

Hey Chazzman, I have a few questions for you since you have the same setup as I am looking into. First, is the preload adjustment still can be used when you have converted to the trike kit? Is it worth the extra to go to Level 2? You said you have a Level 1. Do you even use a gps often? Second are the brakes still linked together like the advertizement says it is? I like that setup especially all four bake lights match each other. Do you have the parking brake option? Any answers would be appreicatetive. Ride safe!! Russ

Hey Russ, Yes the brakes are linked and I would recommend the performance brake brake upgrade, very inexpensive and it stops really well.

Personally I don't understand going above a level one for a trike if you are buying a new bike and trike at the same time. I have a Garmin 660 GPS that works great for $600, why pay $2500 for a GPS and personally I do not see the need for ABS on a Trike, on a two wheeler I would recommend ABS. Feel free to e-mail me at ces1880@gmail.com if you would like to discuss some details. I can give you my phone number if you would like to call.

Here's a few photos of mine from build to delivery.....

The HogEater

Hey everyone, been looking around for a while to see what is going on and trying to get a sense on how everyone likes their trikes. I do not have one yet but I have been pricing out a 12' G.W. Level 2 with both CSC Viper kit and the Roadsmith kit. When I spoke with the salesman about these kits, my lower jaw dropped to the floor. These trikes cost more than my full size truck!! Why? I asked, he then started to tell me all about them. What originally got me started about owning a trike was 2 years ago I got my endorsement and I wanted to get a Spyder. After hearing about the many bugs that are in them and how they left people stranded, I looked else where. I started to look at G.W. trikes and noted that alot of people liked them and how they are very dependable. So after all this time I wanted to ask a question or two. Are they worth it? Are they just as stable as a Spyder? I am looking at $38k plus for the Roadsmith and that is with no aqua shields. The CSC Viper trike is about $500 less equiped the same way. I want to get one and have enough for good size down payment but the idea of spending that much on a 3 wheeled motorcycle is just down right scary. How did you all get passed the initial shock? Any info / advice would greatly be appreicated. Russ

$38 K seems pretty steep to me. I bought a 2002 GW with Motor Trike Kit for $22K. It had 1798 Miles on it. There are deals out there for used Trikes. Just ride it first and be sure it has a "Rake Kit" installed.
Bob

The 2012 G.W. I test rode I believe is a Level 3. It has a ABS placard somewhere on the front wheel, so that means its even more expensive. The dealer has it listed $38500 and when I was first looking into he told me he would sell it at $37500. The Viper trike is loaded with options like aux tank, rear spoiler, directional chrome wheels, brakes upgrade, heel toe shifter, aqua sheilds with cornering lights. It however does not have a parking brake or the rear light bar but that can be added to. Like I said before, I am still interested in the used trike. I will check back in Feb 13' and see if he still has that trike and if he does, I may offer him $36500 for the trike, but at the same time still looking at different dealers for Roadsmith kits to. The one thing I like about the Roadsmith is the ground clearance. Have a great one everybody. Russ

Hay Shimpy, I to am considering that as an option. Buying the bike first, put a few thousand miles on it an then trike it. My only problem with that is I have never riden a bike that large on just two wheels. Right now I have a 83' CM450 I'm trying to get use to. Still needing some tweaking before getting on the highway. Never rode a G.W. just on two wheels. Now when I demoed the 12' trike, I felt right at home after 10 mins on the trike. To me the trike feels like a snowmobile on pavement. I did do some leaning but not as much as I do on sled. The sticker shock and convincing the wife why I did to spend so much money on a trike is the two factors right now. The wife is SLOWLY coming around but she not there just yet. I keep telling her it therapy I need during the off months from snowmobiling. Last year, we did not ride at all due to lack of snow and plus we were both sick for a while.

wait a minute.....you're still trying to get used to a CM450? And you want to jump to an 1800 trike??........

Hay Shimpy, I to am considering that as an option. Buying the bike first, put a few thousand miles on it an then trike it. My only problem with that is I have never riden a bike that large on just two wheels. Right now I have a 83' CM450 I'm trying to get use to. Still needing some tweaking before getting on the highway. Never rode a G.W. just on two wheels. Now when I demoed the 12' trike, I felt right at home after 10 mins on the trike. To me the trike feels like a snowmobile on pavement. I did do some leaning but not as much as I do on sled. The sticker shock and convincing the wife why I did to spend so much money on a trike is the two factors right now. The wife is SLOWLY coming around but she not there just yet. I keep telling her it therapy I need during the off months from snowmobiling. Last year, we did not ride at all due to lack of snow and plus we were both sick for a while.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong from jumping from a 450 to a 1800 especially if it it going from a bike to a trike. Like I said before, when I did the demo ride, I got use to the G.W. Viper trike within 10 mins or so and I even got use to using a heel toe shifter on top of that. I test rode the trike on the highways and plus twisty back roads. The salesman was with me as a passanger and showed me where to go. He does these types of demo runs just make sure you can handle the trike and even to see if you are still interested once you got back from the ride. When I do decide to get one, I will get one from him since he took his time and chance with me riding the trike with no experience except a couple of demo rides on the spyder. I honestly don't have the extra money to start mid size and work my way up to the 1800. As I was operating the trike on the demo ride, I new then and there I was hooked. I am very lazy when it comes to changing gears, but I did not mind on the trike. It was effortlessly easy. Now I just got to get past the sticker shock and wife's OK.

After a long hiatus of none riding (some times life gets in the way), it was imperative to get back in the saddle as per my bucket list , the Sweet and I settled on a 2010 Royal Enfield which I quickly installed a side car, well.. do to the lack of power and the fact that communication was at best a wave or a scream we decided to up grade.:wave4:
Found an 07 wing at a private sale and had it triked, have over 4400miles since March and am not looking back.
In the end it all depends on your snack bracket and preference. Please take your time. Test ride all of them and when you are done bring your questions here. There is a boat load of experience here and good people to set you straight.
Take care and keep your eyes and thoughts open.ThumbUp

The CM450 is a 1983 model with 17k miles on it. When I get the bike up to 50 mph, its starts to studdard. It feels like its coming from the transmission so right now I do not trust this bike with my life on the 55 mph and up highways. I have some more work to do on it. When I get it done I will give it to my niece so she can get her license with it. Its not in bad shape to be a 30 year old bike. My original intention for getting my endorsement back in 10', was to get a 3 wheeler, not two wheels. I want more mass out there under and behind me praying no one hits me. Another reason for 3 wheels, I can ride more months with a trike then I can with a sled. You are at the mercy of mother nature when it comes to snow. Trike you can almost ride anytime except snow and ice. I'm not knocking two wheels, its just I want the stability of 3 and that is one less thing I have to worry about when I ride. Enjoy the ride! Russ

It seems you need to figure out what your budget is that you and your wife would be comfortable with. I would suggest then you go and test ride several trikes insuring your wife gets to ride all as a passenger and she is happy. My wife hated a straight axle so we opted for and IRS.

It may be you want to purchase a used bike from an individual to get your best deal then get you best deal on an installed kit.

A good kit is in the 14K to 16K range installed if you get most of the options. Champion I think may be cheaper if you both like it... Only you both can decide if the investment is right for you. If you get a base kit then your looking at about 8K, quite a savings if the base is satisfactory.

I can say trikes hold their value pretty well. I only see more trikes in the future which will only increase prices. Finding a GL1800 at the right price and a decent price for the installed kit could result in equity on the front end.

Good luck and happy shopping... Remember happy wife, happy life, LOL.

Russ:
I find that Trikes are like ink for a LEXMARK printer, completely outrageous. Buy the ink if you have no other choice and buy the trike if you want it. Children's inheiratence will cover it and after a while the guilt will subside. Get it and RIDE!

Thanks BIGOKIE1 for the advice. I like your comparison. What is all boils down to if you want to do GO FOR IT. I have lost alot of sleep over this. Gotta get me and the Mrs. past the sticker shock. She refuses get on a 2 wheeled machine but she said she might on the trike. I still have some time before the year ends. Who knows I may find a used one to. Ride safe everyone. Hoping to be joining you all someday soon on the roads. Russ

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back