Need help repairing sloppy shifter

May 16, 2024
Indiana
Having a lot of problems with excess slop in the shifter. I am getting a lot of sideways motion when it is in gear...it should not move at least 2" to the right or left...want to get this tightened up before I get it on the road.

Pulled the shifter and checked the ball and socket..not sure if this is too much wear or not:

20240526_202142 rs.jpg20240526_202313 rs.jpgrs.jpg20240526_202625 rs.jpg

Looked at the shaft at the back, and this is what I found...looks pretty old:

20240526_210617 rs.jpg
I noticed both play in the back shaft (I assume that is where the bushing is at that everyone is talking about with these shifters). Also noticed some play in the joint? Would that be the problem, or would it be in the ball and socket...or maybe both?

The shifter box itself is welded to the frame, so if I remove it, I will have to put a whole new box on. I think there is enough room at the front of the box to move the shaft forward...but just barely. Whoever built this did have some engineering skiils...pretty good job so far. They did not intend for it to come apart easily...if at all!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

87_442

Looking at the shaft that comes out of the trans, is that supposed to be a bushing or bearing? Apologies for the fuzzy picture...looks
like a rope or seal.

shift coupler rs.JPG

1716959035814.jpeg

Here's what the inside of a vw tunnel looks like. The shift rod bracket with nylon bush is what wears out and causes sloppy shifting.

Is your shift lever vertical or horizontzl? It looks like you have a "universal" dune buggy shifter box. It may use a standard VW bushing or a custom bushing. Look for wear there. Here's a link to Shifter parts to give you some ideas. Look at the Empi Universal shifter box.

Shift lever is vertical, like the stock shifter. I think this is one of the universal boxes, but it doesn't have a normal bushing, just a washer welded to the box...no, it's not a hurst...I wish..

20240525_141545_copy_640x480.jpg
I could put another box on that has the place for the bushing, but I would have to take the old one off and reweld a box...no welder right now. I may get around to that later...want to get the other stuff done and get it out and ride it.
Thank you for the link and the picture.

Looks like your shifter box was installed never to be serviced. Possibly even home made. Ultimately, replacement will probably be needed. The washer (bushing) doesn't look so worn as to keep you from shifting. I'd grease the rod up in that area to minimize future wear. Anybody that has driven old VWs knows you don't speed shift them, you "feel" your way between gears. My recommendation is get the trike rideable, shift easy till you get used to it and replace the shifter box next winter.

That's what I was thinking, just put some grease on it for now, work on fixing the other stuff and start riding it. I won't be riding it in the winter anyway, so that could be an off season project. Might have a welder by then...
Had a 70 bug once...throw out bearing was shot when I got it. Bang shifted it home, pulled the motor, put in new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing and drove it. Loved that little car.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back