need a trike electrician for mechanical problem

I am a vintage Japanese bike mechanic and specialize in carburetors. I have never owned nor worked on a Harley (except the carburetors which are Keihin --- Japanese). I find it hard to believe Harleys still use two phase stators bwhahaha; the Japanese only used 2-phase on lower end bikes and quit doing it back in the 80s. Strange. One day, I might buy a Harley; have nothing against them and I do like air cooled engines... guess I will have to hurry to buy an air cooled engine as I think Harley has seen the writing on the wall and will likely be liquid cooled within a few years. With the EPA on the warpath, it will be sooner than later!

Thanks for the contact, My bike is a 1989 model so Harley technology moved on a long time ago.

The wet head will probably be as you say but I hope to keep my old blockhead till I die and don't particularly care what they do after that I guess?
The end of my era became evident when they introduced the electric nightmare.

"Its ok God, I'm ready now, I don't want to see this!"

I am a vintage Japanese bike mechanic and specialize in carburetors. I have never owned nor worked on a Harley (except the carburetors which are Keihin --- Japanese). I find it hard to believe Harleys still use two phase stators bwhahaha; the Japanese only used 2-phase on lower end bikes and quit doing it back in the 80s. Strange. One day, I might buy a Harley; have nothing against them and I do like air cooled engines... guess I will have to hurry to buy an air cooled engine as I think Harley has seen the writing on the wall and will likely be liquid cooled within a few years. With the EPA on the warpath, it will be sooner than later!

Harley used a 2 phase charging system until 2006, when the 3 phase was introduced. I changed my 1987 FLST to a Compu Fire 3 phase system. The new system is light years ahead of what came on the bike originally!

Harley used a 2 phase charging system until 2006, when the 3 phase was introduced. I changed my 1987 FLST to a Compu Fire 3 phase system. The new system is light years ahead of what came on the bike originally!

2006 seems to be the magic cut off year for parts for mine, everything started changing real quick along about the time fuel injection came to Harley.
I think it was 1994 when they stopped producing the tour glide ultra and my interest in other models and further technology kinda went by the way side and I became officially old school.:blush:

2006 seems to be the magic cut off year for parts for mine, everything started changing real quick along about the time fuel injection came to Harley.
I think it was 1994 when they stopped producing the tour glide ultra and my interest in other models and further technology kinda went by the way side and I became officially old school.:blush:

Nothing wrong with old school! I still ride that '87 as much as my trike; it never fails to make me smile!

Congrats on getting your electrical prob sorted out ThumbUp

Here's an excellent article that you, Rick and others might enjoy. It should help to reinforce Y'all's decision to keep it Old School :cool: To each their own, but for as long as I stay with Harley, it'll be EVO ThumbUp

http://www.hdopenroad.com/guest-articles/harley-evo-vs-twin-cams-the-sweet-years/

Congrats on getting your electrical prob sorted out ThumbUp

Here's an excellent article that you, Rick and others might enjoy. It should help to reinforce Y'all's decision to keep it Old School :cool: To each their own, but for as long as I stay with Harley, it'll be EVO ThumbUp

http://www.hdopenroad.com/guest-articles/harley-evo-vs-twin-cams-the-sweet-years/

Love it!

I have to agree with the articles point of view to the limit of my knowledge.

I would have to ADD something to this statement though.

("Early Evo advertisements professed that this engine would not break down, use oil, or overheat—all problems that incessantly plagued the older Harley’s. Although the Evolution engine now offered more power than its predecessors, seldom was this issue boasted about. Instead it was all about reliability. For Harley Davidson was now desperately trying to build high quality and dependability into every aspect of their motorcycles.This, my friend, is what saved Harley-Davidson’s ass.")

As much as I didn't care for A.M.F's version of Harley Davidson, If not for A.M.F pouring millions into retooling H.D. factory's the Evo never would have been built and Harley would have gone the way of Indian etc.
When the company was bought back they now had the ability to produce a reliable engine.

I remember rebuilding top ends at 40,000 or less miles and total rebuilds not to far off that mark in my miss-spent youth.
I hate to admit it but enjoyed it!
Every time I Rebuilt the motor I would change the design of my choppers.
I loved those old bikes built in my garage and painted with a spray can because I could afford fancy paint.
Nowadays I wish to hell I could just get a good paint job at the prices I considered ridiculous back then.
If I remember right a new Harley was going for under $2500.00. but that was out of my price range.
That was actually steep considering I paid about that much for 65 Galaxy convertible.

When I bought my Evo in 1989 I was still skeptical of claims of 100,00 miles.
My old 89 tour glide ultra has been a very cheap motorcycle to own over a 25 year and counting life span. And I still love the 80" evo, I have put a one step hotter (E-27 ) cam in both of them and reliability and longevity has not been compromised.

I did begin to get leaks under the rear cylinder but it didn't happen until I hit about 90,000 miles. I never put any major work into the engine except good maintenance and an oil cooler because I just couldn't make myself believe a Harley didn't need one at the time I bought my glide off the showroom floor?

I was planning to rebuild but found a new 1994 model evo for less than I could rebuild mine and paid around $3,000 for it. When you get down to the brass tacks and do the math that's a damn cheap 25 yr. old investment

Here you go, Paul! One 1987 FLST.

[IMG
][/IMG]
triggerside.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Love it!

I have to agree with the articles point of view to the limit of my knowledge.

I would have to ADD something to this statement though.

("Early Evo advertisements professed that this engine would not break down, use oil, or overheat—all problems that incessantly plagued the older Harley’s. Although the Evolution engine now offered more power than its predecessors, seldom was this issue boasted about. Instead it was all about reliability. For Harley Davidson was now desperately trying to build high quality and dependability into every aspect of their motorcycles.This, my friend, is what saved Harley-Davidson’s ass.")

As much as I didn't care for A.M.F's version of Harley Davidson, If not for A.M.F pouring millions into retooling H.D. factory's the Evo never would have been built and Harley would have gone the way of Indian etc.
When the company was bought back they now had the ability to produce a reliable engine.

I remember rebuilding top ends at 40,000 or less miles and total rebuilds not to far off that mark in my miss-spent youth.
I hate to admit it but enjoyed it!
Every time I Rebuilt the motor I would change the design of my choppers.
I loved those old bikes built in my garage and painted with a spray can because I could afford fancy paint.
Nowadays I wish to hell I could just get a good paint job at the prices I considered ridiculous back then.
If I remember right a new Harley was going for under $2500.00. but that was out of my price range.
That was actually steep considering I paid about that much for 65 Galaxy convertible.

When I bought my Evo in 1989 I was still skeptical of claims of 100,00 miles.
My old 89 tour glide ultra has been a very cheap motorcycle to own over a 25 year and counting life span. And I still love the 80" evo, I have put a one step hotter (E-27 ) cam in both of them and reliability and longevity has not been compromised.

I did begin to get leaks under the rear cylinder but it didn't happen until I hit about 90,000 miles. I never put any major work into the engine except good maintenance and an oil cooler because I just couldn't make myself believe a Harley didn't need one at the time I bought my glide off the showroom floor?

I was planning to rebuild but found a new 1994 model evo for less than I could rebuild mine and paid around $3,000 for it. When you get down to the brass tacks and do the math that's a damn cheap 25 yr. old investment

Very good point you've made about A.M.F. In spite of the uproar, A.M.F. did keep Harley afloat, along with the Harley faithful customer base, which at that time was mostly Blue Collar. Harley was able to buy themselves back and then changed their target audience, but that's a whole other story, LOL!

I'll ride anything that gets me from point A to point B and back as long as I can do my own wrenching. Don't have deep pockets and can't afford to be married to any dealership. Picked up an EVO 1200 Sporty 8 yrs. ago and it's been owner friendly, no complaints here. Routine maintenance and normal repairs (battery replacement, manifold seals, voltage regulator, ignition switch) and it's still rock 'n roll.

Absolutely agreed on the addition of the oil cooler and the EV-27 cam is most definitely worth every penny for the performance gain. Slightly modified (rather than heavily modified) makes life easier ThumbUp

Very good point you've made about A.M.F. In spite of the uproar, A.M.F. did keep Harley afloat, along with the Harley faithful customer base, which at that time was mostly Blue Collar. Harley was able to buy themselves back and then changed their target audience, but that's a whole other story, LOL!

I'll ride anything that gets me from point A to point B and back as long as I can do my own wrenching. Don't have deep pockets and can't afford to be married to any dealership. Picked up an EVO 1200 Sporty 8 yrs. ago and it's been owner friendly, no complaints here. Routine maintenance and normal repairs (battery replacement, manifold seals, voltage regulator, ignition switch) and it's still rock 'n roll.

Absolutely agreed on the addition of the oil cooler and the EV-27 cam is most definitely worth every penny for the performance gain. Slightly modified (rather than heavily modified) makes life easier ThumbUp

smiles-hitwithrock.gifGod help me I sold a 47 Indian chief for three hundred dollars back in the day and thought nothing of it. cowboy-graphics-cowboy%20arrow.gif I also sold the 65 Galaxy convertible for about the same price ten years after I bought it.smiles-thwap.gif

I paid $3000,00 for a 1971 ford ranchero GT. and gave it to my oldest daughter, I loved that car also with the Cleveland engine and the shaker hood scoop. I bought a 1969 Cougar and so on and so on!

I finally wised up when the 89 Tour Glide ultra came out. I had to put my name on a list with H.D. and have the money immediately ($12,500 insane right?) or it would have gone to the next guy on the list.

I swore I would keep it forever figuring it would be a classic and kept it pretty much stock and when I didn't see it become one after 23 years I decided it was ok to trike it.
You know I don't regret it.
Im still gonna keep it forever. If H.D were to make the road Glide an ultra and trike it my heart may start beating faster?
The only problem I will face in the long run is can I work on it? Not with my present tech. knowledge and I am to old to retool myself to do so?
I hate to turn my machine over to a parts changer and get charged $100.00 per. hr. to make guesses.
If I had Msoko's knowledge I probably would do it!

I have ridden and worked on different bikes and like most of them, the Kawasaki Vulcan trips my trigger and reminds me of the bikes I used build.:clapping:

thank you all very much!

HI FOLKS I BELEIVE I HAVE FOUND AND FIXED THE PROBLEM LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND AM TOO TIRED TO GO INTO IT BUT BY DARN IT WAS THE REGULATOR, BUT NOT WHAT I EXPECTED.

YOUR SUGGESTIONS GOT ME THINKING STRAIGHT AND THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT AT SOME POINT HARLEY CHANGED THE DESIGHN ON HOW THE REGULATOR WORKS AND IT NO LONGER CONNECTS TO THE GOLD POST ON THE MAIN BREAKER, THEY NOW HAVE TO BE ATTACHED TO THE SILVER (AUXILLIARY POST).

I WAS CAUSING A DIRECT SHORT BY HOOKING IT UP THE TRADITIONAL WAY I HAVE BEEN USING ON THIS BIKE FOR THE PAST 25 YRS.

we all knew you would find it. electrical gremlins are the worst !

THE THING THAT REALLY DISSCUSTS ME IS THAT THEY DIDN'T ASK MY PERMISSION? :mad:
attachment.php
attachment.php

BUT THEN THEY DIDNT ASK ME IF I WANTED TO SEE A NEW ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE ON TWO WHEELS WITH THE H.D. LOGO EITHER!

DONT THEY UNDERSTAND IT'S ALL ABOUT ME, AND I DETEST ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS?:kpzxvq:

we all knew you would find it ! electrical gremlins are the worst !

View attachment 22586God help me I sold a 47 Indian chief for three hundred dollars back in the day and thought nothing of it. View attachment 22588 I also sold the 65 Galaxy convertible for about the same price ten years after I bought it.View attachment 22587

I paid $3000,00 for a 1971 ford ranchero GT. and gave it to my oldest daughter, I loved that car also with the Cleveland engine and the shaker hood scoop. I bought a 1969 Cougar and so on and so on!

I finally wised up when the 89 Tour Glide ultra came out. I had to put my name on a list with H.D. and have the money immediately ($12,500 insane right?) or it would have gone to the next guy on the list.

I swore I would keep it forever figuring it would be a classic and kept it pretty much stock and when I didn't see it become one after 23 years I decided it was ok to trike it.
You know I don't regret it.
Im still gonna keep it forever. If H.D were to make the road Glide an ultra and trike it my heart may start beating faster?
The only problem I will face in the long run is can I work on it? Not with my present tech. knowledge and I am to old to retool myself to do so?
I hate to turn my machine over to a parts changer and get charged $100.00 per. hr. to make guesses.
If I had Msoko's knowledge I probably would do it!

I have ridden and worked on different bikes and like most of them, the Kawasaki Vulcan trips my trigger and reminds me of the bikes I used build.:clapping:

Most of us have probably sold vehicles that we wish we'd kept. Then there were some vehicles that I was more than happy to be rid of :pepper:There's also the occasional good score we sometimes make. Not sure if it all evens out or not, but such is Life :xzqxz:

Can fully understand your dilemma with buying new or standing pat with the old. If one buys new, they have to be willing and able to open their wallet to the dealership at times and that can be a dicey propo$ition in this day 'n age. Due to limited funds, I've got no choice but to stick with the older rides and am good with that. At this late age, there's enough decent older stuff around on the cheap if the need arose to replace one for another. The future is now and it doesn't much hold my interest, so I can get by on Old School until closing time, LOL! ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back