Making the Fat Bottom Girl an "AMG" Edition.

When ever you rotate the front controls check for front brake line and clutch line clearances;)

I've never moved them until today ... they kind of felt very similar to the Gold Wings hand levers ... so they felt "comfortable". Wasn't until Thursday when I was in some decent traffic and pedestrians walking in front of me that I realized I wanted to move the levers more horizontal ... but, the rattle is gone and that made my day.

New Business

While on this trip was the first time I've used the GPS on the tri ... there were some things I didn't like, that I didn't remember on other HD's with this infotainment GPS:

1) there were a couple times between Frisco and Breckenridge that the GPS got "confused" ... the maps are the original maps from 2014 and the road has been updated and it's path changed.

2) the Harley GPS to me just seems "awkward" ... not very intuitive .. but it might just be that I'm used to the Zumo 550 HD edition.

I made a mount today that may be used to mount the Garmin Zumo on the Tri. Currently I'm using the mount I used on the wings and earlier Harley's to mount my PV.

There's are some big pluses to the Garmin ... I have lifetime map updates for free ... I can generate routes on my mac and load them to the Zumo. I've been told I can do that with the Harley ... but whenever I make the route and export it to a flash drive, the Harley infotainment system doesn't seem to be able to load it.

The down side of the Zumo is it's one more thing I'd need to remove when I stop and the 550 doesn't have much storage space. I can only get Colorado, Utah, New Mexico, Western and Central Texas, and Nevada sans Vegas. That's pretty much my roaming area (Texas probably only for the Kerrville trips), but if I wanted to expand my trips ... I can't add more without removing some. I thought I could use a memory card to expand the map storage ... but apparently, I'm not computer savvy enough to figure that out.

I forgot to get pics of the "bracket" before I painted it ... It's hanging in the garage drying so maybe tomorrow.

Mrrors

I just couldn't get used to the mirrors being so low ... they where plenty wide and I could see well, but, I never did get used to the "looking down" feeling. I'm an old dog and I don't like new tricks, so, I went back to the flipped right to left and upside down mountings with the Kuryakyn extenders.

Oval Mirrors w.Kury extentions.jpg

Did some electrical.

Okay, so I mounted the Zumo GPS Mount to where my PV used to sit, mounted the PV on the new Kuryakyn mount.

That was the easy part ... LOL. You know me and tricity. I decided to run power from the cigarette lighter (who uses a lighter on a bike, doesn't the wind just blow the glowing embers all over the place??"). I wanted a clean job, so I took the outer faring off. Using taps and dielectric grease, I tapped into the lighter power.

I guessed that the black wire was the ground, but, decided to verify that with the meter (should of just guessed). I always get confused when I put the leads on the meter. The black one is easy but the red one has two possibilities. The two red connections have pretty much the same symbols ... so i always mess this up. Today was no exception, blew the 20a fuse for the passing lamps and cigarette lighter, but, only blew it once ... LOL ... getting better. Anyway ... it's all working now.

Layout from the front:

2019-07-07 10.40.51.jpg

Layout from the back:

2019-07-07 08.40.46.jpg

Layout powered:

2019-07-07 08.40.43.jpg

Since I had the outer faring off, I moved the SiriusXM antenna to the dash, you've seen me do this mod before, so i didn't get ant pics. When I put the new gorilla tape on the antenna, I made it too long, so I just rolled it under the dash. I then notched it in the middle. The tape will be on both sides of the antenna wire and will prevent the outer faring and windshield from crushing the antenna wire.

All in all ... a good day.

One Jealous FBG

I've been spending a bunch of time and energy working on the little trailer and the Fat Bottom Girl was getting a tad jealous. If you're a cohabitant with a Harley, you know what I mean (I live with two .. I'm doomed).

So I decided to do a ride and get her spritzed up some. Rode up to the car wash, spent a whole $3.38 on her. We have a credit card wand wash ... probably everywhere has them ... LOL ... but it's big stuff here. Minimum charge is $3. I did the high pressure soapy water wash, then a spot free rinse.

I'm loving the ceramic stuff .. she looks really good. Not too much stuff sticks to it.

Since I was still in the riding mode (that's almost perpetual ... :D), I rode to the Honda Shop and picked up some:

Honda Cleaner.jpg

They didn't have the Mother's stuff, but, the parts guy told me O'Reilley's did and his girlfriend (who works there) will give me the friends and family discount (15%, he called her and told her I was coming). I went, the mothers was on sale and 15% on top of that. So I bought this:

Mother's.jpg

I'm thinking, maybe the little trailer will get a spritz too .. :D (Shhhhhh, don't tell the Fat Bottom Girl)

If you're like me, I always feel compelled to help people who look like they need it ... I'm beginning to think I may look like I need it ... lately lots of "good deals" have been coming my way .. LOL

Enough about my psychoses ... LOL ... While riding home from O'Reilley's, I started thinking about the new mounts for the GPS and the PV ... I like that they are close and can be seen at a glance. But, if you've been following my work oj the Fat Bottom Girl, you know I like Symmetry, so i played around with the mounts and came up with this. Not too sure I like it, but I'll try it for awhile.

Dash.jpg

I think I might take one wheel at a time off the FBB and do the polishing thing. I like the wheels, just not the stains .. LOL .. depending on how much work this turns out to be and how long it lasts, might become a once a year thing. :D

I don't ride a Harley, but it sure make it fun reading your posts, you make them quite interesting. Looks like you have back ups for the back up on GPS.

I don't ride a Harley, but it sure make it fun reading your posts, you make them quite interesting. Looks like you have back ups for the back up on GPS.

I would have to spend $250 to update the maps on the infotainment system. The GPS on the left hand control has free updates. The "GPS" on the right hand control is my Power Vision, not a GPS.

So ... just 1 backup ... LOL

Fuzzy, without going thru all of the posts and really not sure if you did it or it came with it, but was wondering what kind of windshield you have, seen it goes way past what a stock does so curious if you put it on or was it already on and if you know what kind it is, thanks

All for now Trampas

Fuzzy, without going thru all of the posts and really not sure if you did it or it came with it, but was wondering what kind of windshield you have, seen it goes way past what a stock does so curious if you put it on or was it already on and if you know what kind it is, thanks

All for now Trampas

It is the HD wind splitter 10" ... I like to look over the shield, not through it, so the extra side wings help with the buffeting some.

Fuzz you will love the Powerball polisher I use mine all the time. Make sure you wax the trailer after using mother's polish it will dull fast if you don't. That being said I use Zephr Pro-40 on Old Shiney it keeps the shine without waxing. After a a few rides I just spray down with windshield washer fliud to remove brake dust. Zephr has an entire line of products, check out the website. travel safe Fred

DSC01169.JPGDSC01168.JPG

Fuzz you will love the Powerball polisher I use mine all the time. Make sure you wax the trailer after using mother's polish it will dull fast if you don't. That being said I use Zephr Pro-40 on Old Shiney it keeps the shine without waxing. After a a few rides I just spray down with windshield washer fliud to remove brake dust. Zephr has an entire line of products, check out the website. travel safe Fred

View attachment 73942View attachment 73943

Thanks Fred ... I'm all about doing the work ... just not every day ... LOL.

It is the HD wind splitter 10" ... I like to look over the shield, not through it, so the extra side wings help with the buffeting some.

Thanks Fuzzy, was looking at the Freedom shield that has the wings and way cheaper than the HD windsplitter and more than likely has a better recurve at the top compared to the HD one

All for now Trampas

Thanks Fuzzy, was looking at the Freedom shield that has the wings and way cheaper than the HD windsplitter and more than likely has a better recurve at the top compared to the HD one

All for now Trampas

The HD windspliter has NO recurve ... just kind of angles back ... so yep ... if you're looking for recurved ... the windspliter is not for you.

I tried the mothers wheel thing and wasn't impressed even with the powerball on the drill. Did some research and ended using White Diamond

metal polish, made here in Iowa I guess, it worked really good on my 2016 triglide rims with the powerball and also I used the cone thing also, really shined them up better than the mothers. Couldn't find the zepher 40 that Fearless uses around here without ordering online, found the White Diamond at walmart. Haven't did the 2018 rims yet but I will one of these days when it is not in the 90's and even hotter in garage.

All for now Trampas

I tried the mothers wheel thing and wasn't impressed even with the powerball on the drill. Did some research and ended using White Diamond

metal polish, made here in Iowa I guess, it worked really good on my 2016 triglide rims with the powerball and also I used the cone thing also, really shined them up better than the mothers. Couldn't find the zepher 40 that Fearless uses around here without ordering online, found the White Diamond at walmart. Haven't did the 2018 rims yet but I will one of these days when it is not in the 90's and even hotter in garage.

All for now Trampas
I found it a Trick Stops of America in Tridelphia WV.

Drink Anyone?

Alan I rehabed the wheels in 2013 with this stuff it is great for removing old stains and acid rain stains. Fred

And they are still looking good? That is my kind on product.

New business.

I'm a bit of an old dog. I don't do too well with new tech ... LOL.

Backstory: In 1996 I had surgery to repair a deviated septum. Usually a minor surgery and to show how minor, it's done with a local like dental work, same numbing stuff. In my case, it was done in a dental chair at Portsmouth Naval Hospital, in Virginia. Anyway, half way through the surgery, I "felt or heard" my heart slow and I started to get really cold. Next thing I know I'm waking in intensive care. Apparently the anesthesiologist gave me the numbing stuff and I was allergic to it. I went into anaphelactic shock and basically died for about 2-3 minutes. Part of the bringing me back, was to cram a tube down my throat and respirate me. Apparently they were not gentle about it because I was left with some serious scaring in my throat. Because of that, I have something to drink, lots of water, 24/7/365. Well at least up to the onset of the CPAP (it provides moisturized, temp controlled air for me to breath. Before that I would go to sleep with a 32oz drink and wake with 16oz gone. As far as I know, I would drink in my sleep without waking up.

Okay, recently I've been thinking my 32 oz Thermos brand insulated mug (it's in most pictures of the FBG) is pretty much out of date. It sweats in the heat and doesn't keep things cool or hot very well.

FBG Desktop.jpg

You can see it on the right control. big, ugly ... but sort of functional.

Amazon "learns" what you are looking for (spying) so I got an email with a "promotional" price on a 32oz, SS, Thermal, Water Bottle with a straw. The deal was for $12.95 with free shipping. I ordered it.

ReyLeo.jpg

Still big, sort of ugly ... but it keeps stuff cold all day if I don't drink it before then. It does this with 4 cubes of ice if the water comes from the fridge, 6 if it comes from the water cooler. I'm on a soda stream kick with a quarter of a lemon. Big Red took about 15 cubes to keep it cool for about three hours, two if your on the bike and in the sun. The new one keeps coffee hot all day too, but, except for the day I was messing with the little trailer and forgot I had coffee, I never make it that long ... LOL.

So, since I jumped into modern tech (cheap China product, but, remarkably functional), I've been thinking about updating my drink holder. The butler has been a faithful warrior since 2001 and has been on too many bikes to count (I drilled an extra hole to make it fit Gold Wings too). Talk about ugly, but very functional.

I went to do the VA thing today and they were "having a program", so I went to the rally at the HD dealer, normally not my scene, but, thought what the hey. I ran into a guy I hadn't seen in awhile, we got to yakking and went to check out each others rides (glad I washed FGB). He had theses really cool drink holders for passenger and rider. They are made by Ciro. What made them cool in my opinion was that when not in use, you can remove the holder and just have a "ball mount" showing. I asked him if i could try my bottle in it and it fit. Needless to say, I ordered them. I'm pretty sure I've heard others talk about them, but, like a stick in the mud, I was stuck on the Butler. They are pricy, but, appear to be well made.

Here's the riders:

Ciro Drink Holder 1.jpg

Ciro Drink Holder 2.jpg

Here's the passenger:

Ciro Passenger Drink Holder 1.jpg

Passenger Drink Holder 3.jpg

Before you ask .. I got the passenger one is for Harley's water bottle ... ordered him the same bottle .. :D ... I like symmetry.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back