Importing to Canada

Sep 4, 2011
Alberta, Canada
Might be an old topic, but wondering "if" or "what" it takes to import a trike to Canada? Have a friend who wants to sell his unit, but I have heard that importing is tough if not impossible. Then I have also heard that Lehman and one other trike makers have permission to import. :Shrug: Any information would be appreciated.

CC

Living in MN we often see folks from up North purchasing a bike down here to take home. So it can't be that hard. I suggest that you check with your customs and the Provincial DMV folks. I have seen Conversions with plates from Canada on them.

Hopefully customs rules have changed.
A few years back,a member who lives in Canada attempted this with a Gold Wing 1500 conversion and he got so frustrated he re-sold the trike back in the US.
After buying the trike it went to Canada customs and was impounded for inspection and rejected to enter Canada.
While impounded,he attempted to correct the items listed for being rejected.
First item was paper work.Title for bike stated it was a 2-wheel motorcycle,not three.
Second item was the factory installed CB radio which at that time was not legal in Canada.
The third item (there may have been more,I can't recall) was the speedometer that read MPH for primary.Try to find a Canadian Gold Wing 1500 speedometer !
He did finally get a trike,however bought a Canadian 2-wheeler and had it converted in Canada so that all issues would be Canadian legal.

what i unstand is if you want to bring in a trike already converted if it is a "kit" trike not a factory one is that you have to split it and bring in the trike as 2 parts then reassemble and get it certified. is a lot of hokey as far as i am concerned but thats how it rolls. have not heard of anyone being able to register one that came in to canada complete. reason is it falls under the rules of a kit car .

How about bringing a Canadian motorcycle down to the stated have it converted and bring it back. It started out with a Canadian Motorcycle Title, and still has a Canadian Motorcycle Title, unless the do titling trike different than the states.

Check with Doug at Trike Shop in MN, I am sure that he has experience with Canadian titles.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back