Gas Question

Dec 7, 2014
Lexington.SC USA
No not that kind of gas!!!!!!:xzqxz:

I was reading the GL1500 owners Manuel and it says you must run 91 octane or higher in this GW.
My question is "how many of you run 91 gas and those who don't do you have any problems with 87?"

I think you're reading the research number. For reference: "....engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gaso-line with a pump octane
number [(R+M)/2] of 86 or higher, or a research octane number of 91 or higher."

Wings, 1500 & 1800's, are a low compression engine and are designed to run on regular grade fuel.

Apples to Oranges here :Shrug: My T/G 103, and my Victory 106 are low compression engines, And the recommend fuel for both is 91 ''Minimum'' using the R+M/2 method..

My 1500 has been using "regular" gas (87?) it's whole life. Runs perfectly smooth, no pings, etc. I was always taught that using gas of a higher octane than needed, was unnecessary and a waste... :Shrug:

I was always taught that using gas of a higher octane than needed, was unnecessary and a waste...

Absolutely correct as I made gasoline for 15 years. The only thing higher octane gasoline provides is more detergent, nothing else. I t doesn't burn cleaner, cooler, faster, or make more power. It only lowers the octane requirement of your engine. And if your engine doesn't have a high octane requirement.......see above.

PC

Never ran anything but 87 in the 1500 I had or the 1800 I have now. No problems so far and the includes a good many miles. RIDE SAFE

HD engines have to use it because of the lean mixture and meeting EPA standards. Octane is for a engine pinging mostly. My HD pings like crazy if I don't use the higher octane as where my Goldwing doesn't with 87 octane.

If you use a higher octane than what is needed you will have carbon build up through time.

Apples to Oranges here :Shrug: My T/G 103, and my Victory 106 are low compression engines, And the recommend fuel for both is 91 ''Minimum'' using the R+M/2 method..

Air cooled engine needs the higher octane, they are more prone to pre-ignition from the higher combustion chamber temperatures. There are guys who run 87 in their Harley's, they're playing Russian roulette, you can't hear all pinging. An engine can be pinging without the rider even hearing it.

......... There are guys who run 87 in their Harley's, they're playing Russian roulette, ......

Have a good friend that is a petroleum engineer at Shell in Houston. He tells me all the time the only people that run premium are Harley riders and there's no rhyme or reason to why they do. One thing he pointed out is the premium tanks around the country are the dirtiest due to lack of use. Said "mid range" would be better than premium.

Add 2oz Sta-Bil 360 Marine to you tank when filling up and you'll have no problems with "playing Russian Roulette". ???? Guess I've been lucky over the past 35-40 years of riding Harley's with regular in the tank. Also ran moth balls in Shovels and Evo's for 25 years, no problem.

8~\o

So, let me get this straight, if I burn a tank of higher-octane once in a while, it should clean my engine, because it has higher detergent, correct?
OK, the higher detergent should clean my carbon deposits off the plugs and valves, if my theory is correct?

Rosy

Petroleum Engineers obviously know (or "should" anyways) Petroleum Distillation & the Products they produce.
but,,,
I know for a FACT that msocko3 knows HD's.

I will keep my Money on & Trust in Mike ThumbUp

WOW, moth balls in the tank? What do they do?
Gee, I have a lot to learn about other types of motorcycle engines. Not like my Wing, start and ride!
Thanks for the info!

Rosy

GWRRA did a survey and found that the Goldwing gets slightly better gas mileage with reg gas than with hi test. So not only do you save at the pump better MPG saves you even more.

WOW, moth balls in the tank? What do they do?

Gee, I have a lot to learn about other types of motorcycle engines. Not like my Wing, start and ride!

Thanks for the info!Rosy

The benzene in mothballs increases octane.....but haven't used in the past 4-6yrs because of some of the new sensors used by HD.

Run a couple ozs of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) every other tank or so and that'll take care of any carbon buildup.

I don't claim to know everything there is to know about HD's but have ridden motorcycles most of my life, (62 years of my 70 yrs) mostly HD's. From flatheads to knuckles to TC and have built 30-40 bikes but learn something everyday.

8~\o

Have a good friend that is a petroleum engineer at Shell in Houston. He tells me all the time the only people that run premium are Harley riders and there's no rhyme or reason to why they do. One thing he pointed out is the premium tanks around the country are the dirtiest due to lack of use. Said "mid range" would be better than premium.

Add 2oz Sta-Bil 360 Marine to you tank when filling up and you'll have no problems with "playing Russian Roulette". ???? Guess I've been lucky over the past 35-40 years of riding Harley's with regular in the tank. Also ran moth balls in Shovels and Evo's for 25 years, no problem.

8~\o

I tried 87 octane on a couple of the Twin cam's I've owned, they did pretty good in the spring when it was cool. Once summer heat hit, they were not happy campers. They started hard and would ping under load, both of them were Stage 1 88" twin cams which don't have a whole lot of compression.

Even a 95" at 10.1 was all kinds of unhappy when I had to put some 87 octane in it, It pinged like there was no tomorrow on every hill I hit. The 103 in the 09-13 Triglide is almost at 10.1 compression, some are there due to manufacturing differences. The 14 and later are every bit of 10.1.

A liquid cooled engine can get away with 87 octane at 10.1 compression, air cooled and we're rolling the dice.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back