Angel In Flight

I hope you don't mind that me and the wife are traveling vicariously through you all and enjoying the scenery. One day I would love to take a trip like that...... Enjoy and ride safe.

We left Anchorage Saturday July 27th. We rode over to Palmer to visit the musk ox farm. I highly recomend this as a stop for those traveling to Alaska.

This little man greeted us at water trough.

A musk ox is noted for its thick coat and the wool or qiviut as it is called, is considered almost water proof. The qiviut is like the down feathers of a goose and is found under the top layer of thick wool. When it can be harvested it, the natives knit it into hats, and scarves and blankets. These are very expensive so I opted to buy a raffle ticket in the hopes that I might win one of the above. Below is a picture of the babies. To me they look like miniature horses or Shetland ponies.

After we left the musk ox farm we headed north for Denali. Have I mentioned they are having a heat wave up here. The temperature has been above 70 degrees for over two weeks. That means I'm not having to wear my heavy leather coat all the time. And maybe I'm speaking too soon, but the Mosquitos haven't been bad at all.
Below is a picture of Mount McKinnley and Tommy looking at it. This is very unusual to be able to see the mountain. Most of the time the clouds are dark and the coverage is very low. In the picture the mountain looks almost the same as the clouds.

On Sunday, we took the tour bus up to the Kantishna road house in the Denali Nationa Park. OMG, I am so sore. The body is too old for school bus rides over narrow dirt roads for 92 miles one way. :xzqxz:

BUT, what an awesome tour. We saw 7 grizzlies, 3 moose, lost count of the caribou, 1 fox, who came straight from the field to the bus, crossed the road and went down the mountain. Also spotted some dall sheep, but was too far away for a picture. And Mount McKinnley, OMG, it was so beautiful. The guide said that this was only the 7th time this summer that the mountain has been seen.

Below is the 1st picture I got of the mountain. Just totally majestic.!!! :10:

The tour bus picked us up 6:15 a.m and returned us back at the cabin at 8:00 p.m. We were a bunch of tired puppies but our driver kept us entertained and gave us many breaks, stopped whenever we saw wildlife, even If it was only a white rock or large bush. And snacks and drinks were provided at almost every break.

Beautiful pics of the mountain, in particular, Dee. That is magnificent! and it sounds like you were very lucky to get such a great view of it. :D

The land here in Alaska is so vast, and the terrain changes every few miles. We ride for 30 minutes and we are surrounded by trees, the we top a hill or go around a curve and there's only rocks and low bushes. It's amazing!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back