Where to support rear end of CSC trike when removing wheels

I have an '08 1800 Goldwing converted to CSC Cobra in 2011. I tried searching for a thread on this, but no luck. Where is the best place to jack up the rear end, and place jack stands when removing rear wheels? I want to do maintenance on my own but do not want to damage anything. The CSC manual does not show this information that I can find. Thanks for any help!

Re: Where to support rear end of CSC trike when removing wheels

Most all of us have faced the same situation, regardless of the trike conversion.

There have been threads on this subject and many different opinions. I have a Hannigan with IRS and put a floor jack under the differential, then place a jack stand under the strut support of the wheel that raises off the ground (left rear in my case because the differential is offset to the right.I then move the floor jack to the right side strut support to raise the right wheel and place 2x4s under the wheel until I can get a jack stand in place. Not elegant, but it works for me.

I have seen other comments about jacking the rear using the trailer hitch as the lift point, since it's centered. There is also a thread on the GL1800 board about a home made device that goes into the hitch to create a jack point. (http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173111&highlight=jacking+trike)

I used to own a Lehman conversion (straight axle) that was easier to get the wheels off the ground by using the differential as a jack point.

So.... is your CSC a straight axle? If so, it's probably easier than what I go through with the IRS. Hope this helps.

I found this on the web. Hopefully someone else will jump in and expound on it. Heres also from another trike talk member.
http://www.triketalk.com/forum/threads/18610-Jack-for-servicing-Gl1800-CSC-trike

4272Jack3.jpg

First I hate those bike lifts as it is very hard to determine a good jacking point. Prior to getting a lift I used a car drive on ramp to put the front tire on - very stable. Then a floor jack under the rear-end to bring it to ramp height, if removing wheels they need to hang if IRS to allow for tire clearance so it may require doing them one at a time with jack stands / support both sides while hanging and leave the floor jack in place as a safety. If just greasing and checking, jack stands supporting full weight to allow removal of floor jack from the rear. If removing front tire - wheel I suggest the same procedure but then you move the floor jack under the front engine case with at least 3/4" plywood support on the jack to disperse the weight evenly. Raise til clear of front ramp. They make flat sissor jacks with rubber padding I use on my lift now, but did it this way for years with no problems. Just know where your lift points are and don't get weight going the wrong way.... yes you can tell, how wants a trike or bike coming over.

Wish I had pics, but I don't. So here's what I do: - Put it in 1st. - A wooden wedge at the front wheel - Harbor Frt floor-jack & some 2x4 wooden softners go under the pumpkin / differential & jack her up. Usually centerline goes up but leans more on one side than the other. Why?? I don't know - I lift till I can place a jack stand under both wheel axles. - Then lower the jack till the rear end is supported on both Jack stands. Hope that helps. Will try & find some pics.

..... Usually centerline goes up but leans more on one side than the other. Why?? I don't know - I lift till I can place a jack stand under both wheel axles.

Most trikes I've seen with a drive shaft are offset to the left or right of center line, so the differential isn't really midline of the trike, so a jack will naturally lift one side before the other.

Most trikes I've seen with a drive shaft are offset to the left or right of center line, so the differential isn't really midline of the trike, so a jack will naturally lift one side before the other.
Actually, very few conversions have the diff in line w/the drive shaft out put of the motor!
Most center the rear end.
My Hannigan is off set therefore, I jack up one side at a time to place the jack stands and then place the floor jack under the front of the motor to lift the front of the bike

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjc

Trike Talk Community

Welcome to a community dedicated to the most diverse and fastest growing powersports segment, Motorcycle Trikes. Come join the discussion about the best makes and models, popular modifications and proven performance hacks, trike touring and travel, maintenance, meetups and more!

Register Already a member? Login

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjc
 photo 260e2760-d89e-45b2-8675-2bc26fb3d465.jpg

photo Trike-Talk-150-x-200.gif

photo DK Trike Talk Right side banner 19.jpg

Merziere Reverser

photo 9796095c-0d4b-4a9b-88ed-efe4c498d084.png
 photo f9866e4e-75c5-471a-86f5-5e72a446ecc3.png